Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Firearm Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Firearm Insurance

I have recently purchased a few new firearms...I know that my home owners policy covers loss due to fire and other perils as long as I can show what I have...for theft, there is a $3500 limit...from what I understand if I want to have something beyond that limit I have to schedule what I have... Most of my recent purchases I still have receipts for, but I have several that are hand-me-downs and older guns. Does anyone have any advise on how to get them scheduled. I need to find values on them...also, any advise on how it works with pieces that are not the actual firearm... obviously scopes and magazines are my biggest concerns. Any advise will help...thanks for looking....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19579 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49291

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell5900 View Post
I have recently purchased a few new firearms...I know that my home owners policy covers loss due to fire and other perils as long as I can show what I have...for theft, there is a $3500 limit...from what I understand if I want to have something beyond that limit I have to schedule what I have... Most of my recent purchases I still have receipts for, but I have several that are hand-me-downs and older guns. Does anyone have any advise on how to get them scheduled. I need to find values on them...also, any advise on how it works with pieces that are not the actual firearm... obviously scopes and magazines are my biggest concerns. Any advise will help...thanks for looking....
sign up with the NRA and you can get some added coverage on your firearms through them as well. plus you will be helping out all of us gunowners as well.

contact your insurance agent and explain your situation and see what they require as far as proof of value. i have mine insured under the contents portion of my homeowners insurance policy. you can always take pictures and have them appraised for value as well. i personally keep a copy of paperwork that lists all the SN's and descriptions and estimated value of all my firearms in three places. one with my insurance agency files with my other policies, one at home that i update as needed and one in a safety deposit box at my bank. you could also put all of it on a computer flash drive for safe keeping.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
sign up with the NRA and you can get some added coverage on your firearms through them as well. plus you will be helping out all of us gunowners as well.

contact your insurance agent and explain your situation and see what they require as far as proof of value. i have mine insured under the contents portion of my homeowners insurance policy. you can always take pictures and have them appraised for value as well. i personally keep a copy of paperwork that lists all the SN's and descriptions and estimated value of all my firearms in three places. one with my insurance agency files with my other policies, one at home that i update as needed and one in a safety deposit box at my bank. you could also put all of it on a computer flash drive for safe keeping.
I did speak with My Insurance company...just mentioned that I should get them valued.. will a local gun shop be able to give me values? and I am already an NRA member...guess I need to look at my member benefits so I have an idea...I am in the process of making a list of all that I have...I was gonna do the same thing you mentioned...I will put a thumb drive with it in my safety dep box...also will keep a digital copy in my Hard drive...and then they did mention at my agents office that I could give them a copy and they will put it in my file....How often do you update the lists...I know gun prices change all the time??

Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19579 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49291

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell5900 View Post
I did speak with My Insurance company...just mentioned that I should get them valued.. will a local gun shop be able to give me values? and I am already an NRA member...guess I need to look at my member benefits so I have an idea...I am in the process of making a list of all that I have...I was gonna do the same thing you mentioned...I will put a thumb drive with it in my safety dep box...also will keep a digital copy in my Hard drive...and then they did mention at my agents office that I could give them a copy and they will put it in my file....How often do you update the lists...I know gun prices change all the time??
thank you for being a member of the NRA. yes check through your members benefits package or contact them.

good move on putting them on a flash drive. i update mine about every six months and no less than once a year. depends on how many i buy or trade during the year. at least once a year should keep your values pretty much current in the event of loss. a gun shop or store should be able to give you an estimated value of the firearms.

here is a picture of the forms i use here at home. i got these at my LGS. not for sure where you could get them from though. i also made some of my own on my computer that i printed off. they have sections for more detail as to extras, accessories and modifications to my firearms. i think i have that one saved on my laptop. if i can find it, i'll add it onto this thread.
firearms-records-006.jpg   firearms-records-010.jpg  

Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #5

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most collectible firearms cannot be insured. They want to pay for them as used firearms. To insure many modern arms they want descriptions and serial numbers. There is no way I am trusting these companies with that information.
I gave up on insurance and bought good quality gun safes. I also have a home security system.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

In addition to NRA program, there are other firms that provide firearms insurance.

Guns can be for a blanket amount, or an individual high dollar gun can be directly insured as a scheduled object. Usually done for a $5000- $10,000 gun. Scheduled- need serial numbers, etc etc. Blanket- would need proof of values.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 896 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine were under a blanket "sporting goods" clause that I put a specific value on. I think at that time it was $4000 for the lot of them. Might have been a little high, but not by much. I gave them no info on said "sporting goods" but just added a lump sum to my overall house insurance.

I had the same setup on my wifes jewelry, I gave them a value and they charged me a premium based on that value. I did not give them a list of what she had.