fire and meat, your weapon of choice?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fire and meat, your weapon of choice?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default fire and meat, your weapon of choice?

What is your weapon of choice when it comes to grilling?

I have a high dollar gas grill, but lately, I find myself using a cheap Walmart BBQ exclusively. I use mesquite lump charcoal in it. The flavor that the mesquite gives food is second to none.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have the monster gasser that does the majority of the work 'cause im too lazy most times to go the charcoal route. But the charcoal is my favorite and if I have time that is what I use with the horizontal smoker/ grill.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, about 86% of our member base is from Texas, so I am about to get flammed out of my tree.

BUT.....

I bought a Lynx gas grill with the 1800 degree Infrared side burner like they use in all the top steakhouses like the Metropolitan Bar and Grill & Bob's Steak and Chops.

When I grill, I want a Porterhouse and my woman wants a Filet Mignon baseball steak.

We have a local butcher that cuts a MEAN piece of meat, for a very reasonable charge, so I usually make a point of stopping there in my daily travels.

Now, I have added some mesquite brickets to the normal gas section for grilling after the initial high temp sear on the IR grill.

We have been very happy with the performance of the grill and the quality of the finished product, but it definitely takes some looking after or you will ruin a piece a meat in a moments notice.... LOL

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, about 86% of our member base is from Texas, so I am about to get flammed out of my tree.

BUT.....

I bought a Lynx gas grill with the 1800 degree Infrared side burner like they use in all the top steakhouses like the Metropolitan Bar and Grill & Bob's Steak and Chops.

When I grill, I want a Porterhouse and my woman wants a Filet Mignon baseball steak.

We have a local butcher that cuts a MEAN piece of meat, for a very reasonable charge, so I usually make a point of stopping there in my daily travels.

Now, I have added some mesquite brickets to the normal gas section for grilling after the initial high temp sear on the IR grill.

We have been very happy with the performance of the grill and the quality of the finished product, but it definitely takes some looking after or you will ruin a piece a meat in a moments notice.... LOL

JD
I ran gas for years and when I was feeling super lazy, would run to a steakhouse. Shortly after I swapped over to the mesquite lump, I tossed a few 2" thick Porterhouses on the BBQ, with a little sea salt on them. I have never seen my wife devour a steak like that ever. When she was done, she commented that it was the best steak she had eaten in her life.

The mesquite lump burns very hot and sears really well. You have to use lump though and not briquettes, as briquettes are mostly junk wood and fillers with a tiny amount of cured mesquite in them. The cookability that comes out of the lump is a night and day difference over briquettes. You don't have quite the heat control that you do with gas, but you do have the heat and you don't have to worry about flare ups. The flavor that comes out of them is really just a nice byproduct of a superior charcoal.

The BBQ that I use was here at the house when we moved in. It's a really cheap Walmart POS. One of these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8154164

The charcoal that I run is Lazzari Mesquite charcoal in the 20# bag: http://www.lazzari.com/retail_mesquite_lump_charcoal.html It runs about $12/bag around here.

If you've got a few bucks and some nice weather any time soon, you should give it a shot. $30 for the grill and charcoal, plus another $10 for a six pack of something tasty is money well spent for a nice afternoon on the patio followed by a good piece of meat.

Follow the same times that you would with gas and you'll be good. I run about 7 1/2 to 8 minutes per side on a steak for rare to medium rare. Chicken leg quarters go on for 45 minutes to an hour and fish runs about the same as steak, maybe a little less.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Porterhouse?? Filet Mignon?? Chicken?? Fish??

BBQ is Pork....

Hmmm, can I get flamed on a post about grilling?

9x18=Makarov

Last edited by ScottG; 01-04-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Charcoal every time. Mesquite lump usually.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Lots of wood.

To me, cooking over the campfire is better than any commercial grill out there. There's just something about it.

I like to grill Trout, Salmon, Deer, and my favorite which is Moose (yum).

If I don't have those available, I certainly won't mind grilling up a nice store-bought sirloin, though.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Lots of wood.

To me, cooking over the campfire is better than any commercial grill out there. There's just something about it.

I like to grill Trout, Salmon, Deer, and my favorite which is Moose (yum).

If I don't have those available, I certainly won't mind grilling up a nice store-bought sirloin, though.
I am with you on that point. I use wood. I split it and season it, then cook with it. The wife loves the gas grill because it is quicker. I would rather use the good ole lodge cast Iron pans before I use the gas grill.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wood sucks. Without the charring process, woods are left with a lot of resin that can leave a horribly bitter taste on the food. The only woods that I'll cook meats over are acacia and white oak. Smoking is best done over hickory, but good, solid hickory rounds are hard to come by in these parts.

Roger Waters

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Like Hank Hill says " Tase the food not the fuel"

I have a Charbroil gas grill with one side burner and a roterssiorie thingy on it.

I do everything on it in the spring and summer and fall.

I even put my turkey on that bad boy.

The best Grill I ever had was a little red one with a smoke stack called Lil Smokie. I would take old oak pallets and start a small fire on a 2x2' chunk of tin let it burn down to coals then put it in the grill and throw a steak or two on (Two 12oz t-bone or serloin was all it would hold) Season with Kosher salt fresh cracked pepper and worchestershire. OMG cook them till they were just medimum and they would melt in your mouth.

Closed Thread