Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Fire Extortion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default Fire Extortion

Is this the America I pledged allegiance to as a kid in class?
Is this the same one? What ever happened to those divine principles
of "United we stand, divided we fall?" Are we united only when
there is a war (a constant one I might add) with our flag-waving
enthusiasm? Fire fighters -the bravest of the lot- has in some states
become fire watchers refusing to aid families in their crisis:

Quote:
For one Tennessee family, perhaps the only thing worse than watching their home burn down was watching the fire trucks hang back as it smoldered.

Near the rural town of South Fulton, Tenn., outlying homeowners are required to pay a subscription fee to subsidize the fire department, local news channel WPSD reports.
But when that $75 annual fee goes unpaid, homeowners like Vicky Bell find out the hard way what noncompliance entails.

After Bell reported that her trailer home was on fire, the fire department arrived, she told WPSD -- but they wouldn't intervene.

And yet, this is not the first time when the town's controversial "pay for spray" policy has rankled residents and drawn national attention. Last year, local resident Gene Cranick
called in the fire department to save his doublewide home on the outskirts of town, but he too had failed to pay the annual fee.

Instead, firefighters arrived to protect the property of Cranick's neighbor, who had paid the $75 fee. The decision sparked public outrage, and the International Association
of Fire Fighters issued a press release condemning the South Fulton policy, stating that the department's decision was "incredibly irresponsible."
Click video:
http://www.5min.com/Video/Tennessee-Firefighters-Watch-as-Home-Burns-517222314

Last edited by PanBaccha; 12-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #2

Liked 2360 Times on 1056 Posts
Likes Given: 2266

75 dollar annual fee............tax. I thought we already paid taxes for services such as police and fire. Extortion is definitely the correct word.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20942 Times on 11898 Posts
Likes Given: 52525

i just read about this last night, appalling! it happened last year also. makes you wonder where the line is drawn. taking care of business and doing the job they were hired to do or make money!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Yanno this is EXACTLY what the wife said "extortion"! My comment was "I thought that why we paid taxes?"

The communitys excuse is "we would have to raise taxes so we implemented the pay for spray"

Wife asked, What if there was someone in there?? What then? Stand by and watch people die!?!? Isnt there a crime there somewhere??

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

More and more, government paid civil servants have taken what were once noble professions and turned them into pay and benefit mills for tax takers.

Yeah, government needs money to run, but more and more, so much of our tax dollars don't provide the services the folks really want.

True Professionals would have fought that fire to save property, and dealt with the financial end later. Even if this were a Volunteer unit. Professionals are professionals, all the time.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

Liked 1039 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I saw this this morning , I would have gone to some ass . Even if they did not pay then just bill them after , Albeit it was a uno-wide and was prob totaled anyway its the point .

When I tried to save the guy burning to death in his car , I went thru about 3-4 extinguishers , I knew it was too late but I felt the need to keep trying till the FD showed up . This ******* refused to give me his, his words ? '' I aint wasting mine ! hes gone anyway '' ! That was the first time I lost it over a stranger dying like that , to be that close to them and you cant do anything about it will really mess you up .

On a side note : It should be federal law for all registered vehicles to carry a fire extinguisher , we have to on big rigs and boats , why not cars and trucks , you never know when it could save a life .

I have never donated to our volunteer rescue squad , but I have had to call them twice for my baby girl , one time was a transport to 30 miles away , all with no charge . I will be stroking them a check from now on .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

While this story is upsetting, step back a minute. No, that is NOT paid for by taxes. It is if you live in that town. Subjects of the story did NOT live in that town.

They live in an area that does not HAVE a fire dept. They do not fund a fire dept.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

So long as 0 (absolutely ZERO) county or state or federal dollars go to supporting the fire department, I don't see a problem with this policy. If any tax dollars come from outside the city like federal grants or something, then this policy is messed up and I would think people could take them to court over it.

It's a libertarian dream in fact. You say extortion, I say optional tax.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Wife asked, What if there was someone in there?? What then? Stand by and watch people die!?!? Isnt there a crime there somewhere??
Watch the whole video towards the end they said the policy was to get involved if people are in danger.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 12-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 263

This sucks, but by not opting in, they knew there was some risk. My solution would be, put out the fire and send them a bill for services rendered. It's horrible that they just stood there & let someone's home burn to the ground.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #10

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
This sucks, but by not opting in, they knew there was some risk. My solution would be, put out the fire and send them a bill for services rendered. It's horrible that they just stood there & let someone's home burn to the ground.
They sort of do that in my area. If we had a fire the dept would put it out or try to. Then they would look in the records after the fact when the emergency is done and if I donated $25 or more in the last year (they do fund drives twice a year, come by knocking on your door) the response is free, otherwise I have to pay a fee and I think it's like $500 or $1000. I'm not sure if their effectiveness or size of the property affects the fee.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson