Finders keepers ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Finders keepers ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1200 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Default Finders keepers ?

Say you had the resources to do it , You knew their locations , and it was in international waters . What would prevent you from salvaging a crashed b17 , a deck gun from a naval ship ect ect , weather it be jap , us , german . I vaguely remember a show about a ww2 bomber that had landed in the arctic and found many decades later , they got it ready to fly out and while running the 4 new engines one caught fire and destroyed the plane .
Anyone know the red around salvages like this ? All this being said with respect to those who went down with said vessel .
For me I would give anything to have a p-38 or b17 or any other ww2 plane , no matter the condition , hell just a part of of them would make me happy
Im sure the gov would have an issue with salvaging a ma deuce from its watery grave

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Say you had the resources to do it , You knew their locations , and it was in international waters . What would prevent you from salvaging a crashed b17 , a deck gun from a naval ship ect ect , weather it be jap , us , german . I vaguely remember a show about a ww2 bomber that had landed in the arctic and found many decades later , they got it ready to fly out and while running the 4 new engines one caught fire and destroyed the plane .
Anyone know the red around salvages like this ? All this being said with respect to those who went down with said vessel .
For me I would give anything to have a p-38 or b17 or any other ww2 plane , no matter the condition , hell just a part of of them would make me happy
Im sure the gov would have an issue with salvaging a ma deuce from its watery grave
Most nations claim sovereignty over military aircraft or vessels lost while in service. You cannot legally claim salvage rights to them.

Sunken Warships and Military Aircraft

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah, what Jpyle said.

But, there are civilian treasures out there to be found.

I read somewhere that there are some cities here in the US that are having problems with abandoned boats and these cities are not only letting contractors go out and collect these boats (some of which are yacht class), but they are being paid for it and being allowed to keep them.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Most nations claim sovereignty over military aircraft or vessels lost while in service. You cannot legally claim salvage rights to them.

Sunken Warships and Military Aircraft
How about a boat that was full of guns that accidently sank during an FTF outing?

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
How about a boat that was full of guns that accidently sank during an FTF outing?

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.
Gary already salvaged it...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

forking Gary, grumble, grumble...

Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9411 Times on 4055 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Hey! That was DEEP water.

REAL deep. Fast currents. Real fast.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9411 Times on 4055 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

PS- besides the effects of being immersed in seawater for 60 years on a Ma Deuce, salvage falls under marine law, and the law of Treasure Trove. If some insurance company paid the losses on a freighter full of Merkel shotguns that went down, THEY own the cargo. And they DO fight like the very dickens.

Salvager that located one of the Spanish galleons and salvgaed the gold has been tied up with govt claims on the gold since day 1.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hey! That was DEEP water.

REAL deep. Fast currents. Real fast.
Sounds like one heck of a swim to get to that wreck.

What caused it to sink?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Gary already salvaged it...
Did he get anything that was repairable or did the salt water pretty much destroy everything?

It's a shame to see a boat go down.

It's even a bigger shame to see all those guns go down with it.