Finally told my parents.... - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Finally told my parents....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Marines do not get stationed in NY, except for recruiters and reservists. Sometimes we do a "Fleet Week" which is basically a vacation, and end up in NYC. Its only a week though, and you have to be stationed in NC.

TX is also extremely unlikely. In fact, knowing what MOS Shag is going to try for, I will say it isn't going to happen. Once again, only recruiters and reservists and some schools are there.

The three likely places are Okinawa, NC, and CA. NC and CA are more likely than Oki. But Oki could happen easily. Those are basically the only three places that active duty Marines get stationed. There are exception here and there, but those are the three big ones.
Hey JW, I did end up getting my first pick out of that list that I had PM'd you. Any idea's where I will most likely end up once I get out of school? Would it be more of Cali or NC?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
Hey JW, I did end up getting my first pick out of that list that I had PM'd you. Any idea's where I will most likely end up once I get out of school? Would it be more of Cali or NC?
Its basically a 50/50 toss-up between the two. Everything depends on the "needs of the Marine Corps." They might give you your top choice in school, depending on if they need people at each place basically equally. I know a lot of my guys lately have been getting orders to Kali. But there are others getting NC.

I wouldn't be able to give you any numbers without calling up HQMC, which I'm sorry but simply isn't something I can do. Its pretty frowned upon to call them asking about questions for our OWN careers. They would probably have a heart attack if I called asking about a poolee/recruit's career.

Put your top choice as your top choice when it comes time to fill out a dream sheet when you're nearing the end of MOS school, and pray you'll get it. (Otherwise, you can request new orders after you've been on station for two years).

Old 10-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

What he said. Put it in your choices but it comes down to needs of the core. And that is the final say
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #84

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just wanted to give an update. I spoke with my recruiter again today to go over some final stuff. It's finally confirmed that I will be leaving next Monday, October 28th with the MOS 2800 Electronic Maintenance. I'd just like to say thank you to everyone for their support and help with my questions, some of which I'm sure were just silly
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #85
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7911 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 9065

Wow Shag, One week of freedom left then you get to defend everyones freedom! God bless you and keep you from harm. I cant tell you what to expect from the MC being an Army retiree but Ive been an Electronics Technician for about 25 years, Im gonna pass on a warning my DC Theory Prof gave us all in 85. "Never become part of the circuit!", also learn a new law, Ohm's to be exact, I= V/R, it will rule your day like an electronic BOR, Keep your VOM at the ready. Another warning they gave us in the Army was keep your head low and your weapon clean and ready at all times! If you do both of those, life should be pretty good for you!

I expect you will be out of the FTF Loop for a bit but Im looking forward to your return as a fully qualified E-Jarhead (). Good luck and gods speed!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #86

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

God bless you.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

And make sure you listen to your instructors in basic electronics about removing jewelry ie rings and dog tags before working on some of that stuff you really don't want rf burn