Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Finally told my parents.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/finally-told-my-parents-97496/)

ShagNasty1001 09-23-2013 03:25 AM

Finally told my parents....

Just got back home from my parents house for my sisters birthday dinner. While there, had a chance to talk to them about a decision I've made about my life. I had been tossing around the idea about joining the military and finally made up my mind. While unofficial at the current moment, I should be swearing in with the United States Marine Corps by the end of next week hopefully. Their reaction was better than expected. My dad was surprised it had taken me this long and asked why not navy (he's a navy officer) but fully supports me and my mom, while isn't fully supportive at the moment, understands and cried a lot. Overall though it was a lot better than I had thought

DrFootball 09-23-2013 04:13 AM

Shag, All I can say is congrats, and GD bless....

winds-of-change 09-23-2013 04:30 AM

Yeah, I think Mamas react like your Mom did but I guarantee you she will be very proud of you once the fact sinks in. Congratulations. You made a great choice in life for yourself.

DrFootball 09-23-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Yeah, I think Mamas react like your Mom did but I guarantee you she will be very proud of you once the fact sinks in. Congratulations. You made a great choice in life for yourself.

Mine did. she also wouldn't speak to me for a month. I wish she didn't forgive me then. She sent me oranges every month. (*blush*), except I traded some of them for booze...

ShagNasty1001 09-23-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball
Mine did. she also wouldn't speak to me for a month. I wish she didn't forgive me then. She sent me oranges every month. (*blush*), except I traded some of them for booze...

Luckily she still talks to me. When my grandma finds out will be a different story :eek: but my dad and I both live by it's better to ask forgiveness than permission haha that's how I ended up with a motorcycle

Jstrong 09-23-2013 02:27 PM

Word of advice,don't know how the budget is for the corp now,but when I tried to get in a couple years ago got stuck with a permanent disqual at MEPS for high frequency hearing in my left ear,something VERY common for recruits to get going through boot. It was just a bad time for me to get in and they wouldn't waive me. When you go to MEPS,if you don't pass ANY test,DO NOT take it again,and call your recruiter immediately! the MEPS personnel are there to disqualify you,your recruiter is there to get you in,and they know all the tricks to pass you through. I lost 88 pounds to get in coming out of high school,and while I didn't make it because of unfortunate circumstances,I'm hugely grateful for the experiences I had with my recruiters and the motivation it gave me to change my body and life.

trip286 09-23-2013 02:33 PM

Glad to hear it's working out for you Shagnasty.

The_Tank 09-23-2013 02:34 PM

ShagNasty,
Congratulations.

Semper Fi

notdku 09-23-2013 03:02 PM

Good for you! Congrats.

Sniper03 09-23-2013 03:10 PM

Shag,

Congratulations and God Bless! More young people today should have to be in the military. It is not all good for sure but it will rather break or make a person. And you gain some very valuable lessons that will aid you greatly in life's journey! I as wll as many here on the FTF are very proud of you!
Good Luck!