Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Finally back!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
In December Im going on vacation to Detroit once my semester of college is over. Live in Detroit til I was 5. I have only been back 2-3 times since I was 5. I am definately going to see a Lions game, gonna go to the Joe for a Wings game, and the Ford museum. There are some other things Im gonna do for my son. My wife has never been to Michigan. What are some of the cant miss-have to do things in Detroit?
If you like music...go to the MOTOWN museum and do the tour. It's $10 a head, but it is 2 hours and worth EVERY penny. We went to Michigan & Trumbull to the field (all that's left of Tiger Stadium)...the old arched gates are still there, but people from the neighborhood still maintain the field, and kids play ball there. Pass on the Ren Cen, it's pretty much empty. Detroit Science Center and Detroit Institute Of Arts is also cool.

If you go to D-Town, you better damned well be packin' though. We stopped at a rib joint on 7 mile, and I tell you what, I was sorely missing my 2nd and 3rd BUGs. I mean, we were the only "honkies" there (yeah...a brother actually called us honkies). We stuck out like dildos at Disneyland, but the ribs were outta sight.

If the ferry is running on the river...that's always a good tour. There are still a lot of things to do in Detroit that don't cost an arm and a leg. We stopped by the small harbor by the lighthouse, and the ICE~BORDER PATROL agents there took us on a tour of their boats once we got to talking and the SAIC found out we were cops and he had actually worked the sector where we live for 5 years.

At my reunion, I found out a guy with whom I had lost touch is a patrol supervisor with Davison Township PD, and I went out on a night tour with him for about 6 hours (until I started nodding off in the passenger seat). I got to PD and he handed me a Sig P228 and said, "You might want this". I told him "No, I am good" and lifted my shirt and showed him my Glock, but I did tell him I'd be happy to get an M4 out of the armory. "What armory, and WHAT M4's?" he said and laughed.

We stayed outside Flint in a town called Davison. My grandmother lives there, and that's where I lived when I went to high school. It was old home week. So, we did all you can do in Flint, then headed north to Tawas, Frankenmuth, Gladwin, Houghton Lake, then across to western Michigan to Ludington to go fishing for a day on an old high school girlfriend's charter boat...caught a NICE salmon! Then we grilled the salmon filets on the dock at her home. THAT was great.

So, all in all, I really enjoyed the trip.
accessorizing-detroit.jpg