Finally back!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Finally back!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Finally back!

I am finally back home!

I took the wife, kid, and me back to Michigan for a 10 day vacation (and my 25th HS reunion).

We hit Flint, Detroit, and all the surrounding areas. A good time was had by all.

My wife wanted to go to Detroit Institute Of Arts...so we left my daughter with her grandma and great grandma, and I took the wife to Detroit. After driving from Davison to Detroit...we discovered they had just changed their days/hours of operation and were closed on Tuesday.

So....my wife says..."As long as we're here, I want to see and experience Detroit."

I asked her if she wanted me to take her to 8 Mile to get mugged!

Obviously, we were both carrying. I have my HR218 permit as retired LE, and she is a currently serving officer, so we were both good. BUT...to hedge my bets...I went to see the Sheriff here and he swore me in and badged me up (it's kosher as I am still POST certified...but it's going to cost me a couple of days a month training his deputies and maybe helping out in patrol).

Anyway....we "did Detroit" for the day, and went to MOTOWN and took the museum tour.

I realized how much I actually miss Michigan (I went to high school there, and my mother's folks are from there). I am NOT going to live there, but we decided to buy a house up there near my grandmother.

Flying with firearms was a piece of cake. Especially once we showed our badges at the check-in counter. TSA came over and took us in back for the inspection, it took less than 5 minutes, and we were good to go. Our large checked bag that had the locking pistol case in it was on it's way. Even the weenies at the security check in walked us right through when they saw our badges in the bins you use to put your personal items in.

We both kept our holsters and mag pouches on...once we got to the car rental place in Detroit, all we had to do was insert loaded mags, and holster our guns, and we were good to go. (You CAN carry loaded mags in your luggage IF they are separate from the guns and in pouches).

Anyway, good to be home, and GREAT to sleep on our own beds!

accessorizing-detroit.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome home!

Love me some good Motown.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Glad you had a safe and pleasant trip! And although I'm not there at your place, Welcome home!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Glad you had a good trip. Future S-I-L is a currently serving deputy, went to NY, Museum- security staff at museum spazzed when they saw his shield, CERTAIN that he was carrying.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Glad you had a good trip. Future S-I-L is a currently serving deputy, went to NY, Museum- security staff at museum spazzed when they saw his shield, CERTAIN that he was carrying.
I had one official contact with local LE after I allegedly exceeded the posted speed limit, and passed in a no passing zone.

It was no big deal...when he walked up to the driver's window, I had my badge, ID, and DL in my hand and told him "I am NOT trying to shag the ticket, but I just want to let you know I am carrying. Here is my badge and ID."

He thanked me for letting him know, and as I had only allegedly exceeded the posted limit by 5 mph, he gave me a "good talking to" about driving like a maniac in Davison Township.

I only saw one NO FIREARMS sign the whole time I was there...at an IHOP in Detroit. The sign said NO FIREARMS ALL CUSTOMERS SUBJECT TO SEARCH AND ARREST LAW ENFORCEMENT EXCLUDED Good luck with that..Michigan has SHALL ISSUE CCW, not to mention that no private business has the right to detain, let alone search you UNLESS they have a reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime of shoplifting, and then it's real sticky. I wonder who would do the searching, as I saw no security personel, and quite frankly...if someone tried that nonsense with me...they'd find out how bad a wrist lock hurts right before getting "redirected" to the ground.

I'm not being a "elitist attitude cop" here guys...we ALL have 4th Ammendment protection...and submission to an illegal search is something we do NOT have to do. Take it a step further...if a mall ninja lays hands on YOU, that is assault if you choose to pursue it.

Hell...I did it again...got on my coffee fueld soap box! Sorry.

Anyway...had a GREAT time...saw some old friends and family. Bought a TON of UofM and Detroit Tigers gear.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You go right ahead and climb on that soapbox whenever you please, Az. We'll chip in for the coffee!! Best advice does tend to come from the good guys who understand their job is to protect and serve, not to bust heads.
As usual, good advice soundly reasoned.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
You go right ahead and climb on that soapbox whenever you please, Az. We'll chip in for the coffee!! Best advice does tend to come from the good guys who understand their job is to protect and serve, not to bust heads.
As usual, good advice soundly reasoned.
It just irritates the crap out of me when "entities" post things like that, not knowing what they are really posting. I mean, if you don't want guns in your place of business...okay...I am good with that. I will go somewhere else, or better yet...CONEALED MEANS CONCEALED. But don't claim to have the power to search, arrest, detain, or in any other way impede the rights of another person (the government does enough of that). We still have The Constitution, and by God we have these rights.

It's like some who complain about LEOSA and HR218 that gives cops and retired cops the right to carry nation-wide, and saying that it's "elitist". It had to start somewhere, and HR218 was the most likely bill that the pro-gun side could get through. If we keep pushing, we just might get nationwide reciprocity for EVERYONE who holds a valid CCW in their own state...just like a driver's license.

When you see crap like that...read it carefully, and digest what it is really saying, then decide how you want to proceed. Remember....by carrying into a place like that, you are violating a POLICY not a law. The ONLY law you could be breaking would be TRESPASSING if and ONLY if you refuse to leave when asked.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
It just irritates the crap out of me when "entities" post things like that, not knowing what they are really posting. I mean, if you don't want guns in your place of business...okay...I am good with that. I will go somewhere else, or better yet...CONEALED MEANS CONCEALED. But don't claim to have the power to search, arrest, detain, or in any other way impede the rights of another person (the government does enough of that). We still have The Constitution, and by God we have these rights.

It's like some who complain about LEOSA and HR218 that gives cops and retired cops the right to carry nation-wide, and saying that it's "elitist". It had to start somewhere, and HR218 was the most likely bill that the pro-gun side could get through. If we keep pushing, we just might get nationwide reciprocity for EVERYONE who holds a valid CCW in their own state...just like a driver's license.

When you see crap like that...read it carefully, and digest what it is really saying, then decide how you want to proceed. Remember....by carrying into a place like that, you are violating a POLICY not a law. The ONLY law you could be breaking would be TRESPASSING if and ONLY if you refuse to leave when asked.
I agree fully. I am actually glad that LEO's and retired LEO's can carry nationwide now. Makes good sense. Why in the hell do we want to disarm law enforcement personnel? The more qualified and experienced armed people out there, the more people we have to make the bad guys nervous.
I'd love to have a nationwide CCW. IF they were to have a nationwide qualification. My concern with that is WHO comes up with it?
Reasonable requirements for a nationwide I have no problem with. But reasonable, as we both know, is a highly subjective term.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
I agree fully. I am actually glad that LEO's and retired LEO's can carry nationwide now. Makes good sense. Why in the hell do we want to disarm law enforcement personnel? The more qualified and experienced armed people out there, the more people we have to make the bad guys nervous.
I'd love to have a nationwide CCW. IF they were to have a nationwide qualification. My concern with that is WHO comes up with it?
Reasonable requirements for a nationwide I have no problem with. But reasonable, as we both know, is a highly subjective term.
I agree...I am hoping for eventual nationwide carry recognition of YOUR state ccw. If you hold a ccw in your own state, like your driver's license, it would be honored by all states. If the feds are going to meddle, they might as well do something ONE thing correctly.

One reason why I still plead with people to get their AZ CCW, though we don't need one, is to keep the numbers growing, and to keep people being able to defend themselves outside AZ.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I am finally back home!

I took the wife, kid, and me back to Michigan for a 10 day vacation (and my 25th HS reunion).

We hit Flint, Detroit, and all the surrounding areas. A good time was had by all.

My wife wanted to go to Detroit Institute Of Arts...so we left my daughter with her grandma and great grandma, and I took the wife to Detroit. After driving from Davison to Detroit...we discovered they had just changed their days/hours of operation and were closed on Tuesday.

So....my wife says..."As long as we're here, I want to see and experience Detroit."

I asked her if she wanted me to take her to 8 Mile to get mugged!

Obviously, we were both carrying. I have my HR218 permit as retired LE, and she is a currently serving officer, so we were both good. BUT...to hedge my bets...I went to see the Sheriff here and he swore me in and badged me up (it's kosher as I am still POST certified...but it's going to cost me a couple of days a month training his deputies and maybe helping out in patrol).

Anyway....we "did Detroit" for the day, and went to MOTOWN and took the museum tour.

I realized how much I actually miss Michigan (I went to high school there, and my mother's folks are from there). I am NOT going to live there, but we decided to buy a house up there near my grandmother.

Flying with firearms was a piece of cake. Especially once we showed our badges at the check-in counter. TSA came over and took us in back for the inspection, it took less than 5 minutes, and we were good to go. Our large checked bag that had the locking pistol case in it was on it's way. Even the weenies at the security check in walked us right through when they saw our badges in the bins you use to put your personal items in.

We both kept our holsters and mag pouches on...once we got to the car rental place in Detroit, all we had to do was insert loaded mags, and holster our guns, and we were good to go. (You CAN carry loaded mags in your luggage IF they are separate from the guns and in pouches).

Anyway, good to be home, and GREAT to sleep on our own beds!
In December Im going on vacation to Detroit once my semester of college is over. Live in Detroit til I was 5. I have only been back 2-3 times since I was 5. I am definately going to see a Lions game, gonna go to the Joe for a Wings game, and the Ford museum. There are some other things Im gonna do for my son. My wife has never been to Michigan. What are some of the cant miss-have to do things in Detroit?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945