Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Fiction you read?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I also read a lot of the Executioner series when I was a kid, also read a lot of Louis L'amour books, read a bunch of R.Ludlum books also. Good reading while my machine runs @ work.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I tried reading a few John LeCarré novels, but they are kind of slow and labor intensive, imo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #23

I'm a big reader here, so here comes my suggestions:

Anybody who likes Heinlein, Clancy, Flynn, etc should check out John Ringo. His first book, A Hymn before Battle got me hooked. It's an alternate timeline where Earth is contacted by aliens to help with a spreading menace, the Posleen. Then they invade the earth. He's also go a series called Through the Looking Glass, and the Kildar/Ghost series which is pretty hard core, but still good.

I'd also recommend John Birmingham. His trilogy starting with Weapons of Choice is about a Naval taskforce that gets transported back to the battle of Midway, a la the Final Countdown. Pretty good stuff about not only the affect of modern technology on the past but on modern sensibilities.

Finally, I'm a Star Wars geek, so the Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss. It is a little more hard core than you'd expect with Star Wars and has one of my favorite characters, Kal Skirata, a Mandolorian (Boba Fett armor is Mandalorian) who trained the commando squads. Very good read for four books.

I REALLY recommend the John Ringo series, A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, and Hell's Faire. That's the order of the books. There's other set in that universe, but these are the main ones. I went through the first three in 4 days (had to work part of the time )

Almost forgot. Ringo did a book called the Last Centurion that I think everybody here would appreciate. It's part fiction and part political statement, but let's just say he's not big fan of liberals/democrats.

Check out his website at: http://www.johnringo.com/Home/tabid/1574/Default.aspx He's also done some great op-ed pieces guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Kodiak

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Last edited by kodiak1973; 07-23-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Archie's Digest.

Veronica is so pretty.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Don't read a whole lot of fiction (call me strange, but I'm a sucker for history esp anything Soviet/Russian ) but apart from the classics like Orwell etc (1984 changed my life) I really like the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child; always gripping scenarios. Reacher reminds me disturbingly of my krav maga teacher though lol

Hey I agree, kodiak. John Birmingham's alt history stuff is well worth a read (plus, he's an aussie )