Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > FFL to FFL Transfer Costs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL to FFL Transfer Costs

Scenario:

I'm considering the purchase of a handgun from am out of state seller.

Once we agree on selling price and how shipping will be paid, it will be sent from their out of state FFL to one in my state.

Aside from cost of gun, shipping, and my FFL's fee to do the transfer, what other costs are involved?

It's not a sale by a retail merchant in my state, so I don't owe sales tax, do I?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #2

well that depends on your FFL

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthTry View Post
Scenario:

I'm considering the purchase of a handgun from am out of state seller.

Once we agree on selling price and how shipping will be paid, it will be sent from their out of state FFL to one in my state.

Aside from cost of gun, shipping, and my FFL's fee to do the transfer, what other costs are involved?

It's not a sale by a retail merchant in my state, so I don't owe sales tax, do I?
No, you should not have to pay sales tax because it is an out-of-state private sale.

The only other fee I can think of would be for permit modifications (if any are needed in your states) to take the S/N of the handgun off one permit and have it added to another.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

FFL cost will be set by the gun shops. What ever they charge for the use of their FFL and that will vary. The seller will have to have the gun shipped through a gun shop to arrive at what ever gun shop you tell him to ship it to. Get with a shop near you and tell them you want to use their FFL to take ownership of a gun and they will give you a price for such services. The seller will have to do the same. His shop will ship it to your shop were you will then fill out the proper paper work and you are set. I have done this a couple of times myself and cost has been around $25.00 for each shop.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies, all. This clears up a few things for me as I shop for a beginner's gun.

My state doesn't require any gun registration beyond the ATF clearance paperwork, so I'm clear of that cost.

I have my License to Carry a Handgun in our state so that means I'm legal.

One shop I've been to will only do transfers if it's something they don't stock. In other words, they won't help me get a far better deal out of state. I wonder why?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Federal law does NOT mandate that a non-FFL holder has to ship from one FFL holder to another. That decision is up to the FFL holder. That choice is most often a method of gouging the buyer.

sigh.... here's the relevant info :

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

and another reference from the same ATF web site:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

and here's the link to the ATF site that I got the info from:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

If you'd like to give me an idea of what part of the state you're in, I may be able to steer you to a reasonable dealer.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #7

Jay, that is very useful information. Thank you

I can see both sides of the FFL/shipping discussion.

I live halfway between Columbia City and Fort Wayne, right off US 30. I have visited a few shops near me, but I'm still budgeting and deciding what I should buy.

I would like to hear your suggestions. Either post here or PM, whichever you feel is more appropriate.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well sir, I usually suggest that folks buy handguns just like they buy shoes. Go to as many gun shops or gun shows as you can get to, and handle the handguns. Sooner or later you'll find several that feel pretty good in your hands, then you'll find a couple that feel "just right". Pursue those. If a gun doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not proficient with it, you may as well have a ball bat.

Don't get wrapped up in "this caliber is better than that one". If you can't hit your target, you may as well be throwing rocks.

Save up and buy two handguns.... one for practice, and one to protect yourself with.

I live in Grant County, near Marion. If you'd like to come shoot sometime, just holler.

Regards, Jay

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The whole FFL transfer deal can be very frustrating. Many dealers don't want to do them or charge high prices because they want you to buy from them. Many times some of the best FFL transfer deals can be found at pawn shops.

Be sure to ask if the FFL you're considering will accept a shipment from a non-dealer - it's legal but many will not. I'm fortunate in that I have a dealer that charges $15 per form 4473 and will accept shipments from private parties...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #10

well some thing never change

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain