Ffl
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ffl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

DO i personally need one to purchase a rifle online, or do i need an FFL holder to ship it to? Not buying soon just curious about the process.

Last edited by ineverFTF; 08-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

You need to have it shipped to a FFL

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^Yup, somebody to receive, record, and transfer the firearm to you. Gunbroker has an FFL finder at the bottom of that page to locate some in your area. FYI, in my area the larger places like Gander Mountain and such don't seem as interested in transfers, but my favorite "gun & pawn" place will do it for $20 and be a nice guy about it rather than acting like he just lost a sale on something he probably never would have had in stock anyway.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
^^^Yup, somebody to receive, record, and transfer the firearm to you. Gunbroker has an FFL finder at the bottom of that page to locate some in your area. FYI, in my area the larger places like Gander Mountain and such don't seem as interested in transfers, but my favorite "gun & pawn" place will do it for $20 and be a nice guy about it rather than acting like he just lost a sale on something he probably never would have had in stock anyway.

Thanks, now i know.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Yeah shop around, even some of the brick and mortar guys will charge higher fees for firearms from buds etc. A home based guy usually has pretty good rated because overhead is low and pawn shops have been reasonable in my experience and that's what I used before I got my license.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Yeah shop around, even some of the brick and mortar guys will charge higher fees for firearms from buds etc. A home based guy usually has pretty good rated because overhead is low and pawn shops have been reasonable in my experience and that's what I used before I got my license.
How much is an ffl license? What is the process?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Well its not something you want to get into if you are looking to buy guns for yourself. Check out this thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/ffl-process-70478/

Member:

Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Lots and crazy, from what i have heard; additionally, you have to go into business as a gun transfer guy or a gun repair guy or something along those lines. You don't need it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Alright thanks guys.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Quick and dirty- there are about 14 different flavors of FFL. Three apply to the discussion. 01 is a Dealer, 02 is a pawnshop, 03 is a collector of Curio & relic firearms.

For modern guns, you need the services of an 01 or 02. To GET that license you must "intend to engage in the business" of buying, selling, repairing or pawning guns. You will NOT be issued one for personal use.

Both Gunbroker and Auction Arms have a "find a ffl" function on their home page. Put in your zip code, it will find 01's and 02's that have registered with the sites as being willing to receive a firearm for transfer to you.

03 FFL covers guns 50 yrs old or older, or a few that are newer, listed by name on ATF list (all Colt Woodsman pistols, etc) That is for a hobbyist, $30 for 3 yrs, allows me to buy and have shipped directly to me. Does nothing for new guns.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.