fear of flying - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1070 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
20 years ago when My Wife and I got Married, we went to my Grandmothers in Alb NM. My Wife dreaded Flying and my leg paid for it the entire flight down and the flights were pretty perfect. Taking off from Alb, the pilot all of the sudden aborted the takeoff about 3 seconds after he gunned it. I sat silent but knew something wasnt right; Alb is a tough takeoff anyways, they have to climb ultra fast to get over the mountains, its a bit tough on the tummy when they do it correctly! The Pilot finally got on the horn and said they had failed to reset the flaps for an Alb Takeoff, I guess Alb has pretty odd atmospheric conditions and if he had tried it the way he started out, we would have never gotten off the ground.

Needless to say, my leg paid the price for the rest of the flight, I felt like a squeezy toy. 20 years later, I think I still have some of the bruises. We havent flown since, I dont miss flying all that much, its become a real pain in the ass anyways.
Density altitude can be a killer if you don't do your filght prep right.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Density altitude can be a killer if you don't do your filght prep right.
I was spoiled by my Mooney... if it would fit, it would fly. There was no reasonable way to not be able to get it off the ground and be within W&B.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #83
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I was spoiled by my Mooney... if it would fit, it would fly. There was no reasonable way to not be able to get it off the ground and be within W&B.
Depending on the year and model, "if it would fit" is the critical part of that description.

Now for a Cessna 210, "if it would fit" takes on a little more meaning.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Depending on the year and model, "if it would fit" is the critical part of that description.

Now for a Cessna 210, "if it would fit" takes on a little more meaning.
year doesn't matter, model does I had a "C". Short fuselage, 180hp. It was a great four seat airplane like a mustang is a four seat car Mine was exceptionally fast, beat most of the book numbers before the speed mods. After I put in the fuel tank bladders, which added fuel, I could far exceed my own bladders ability to fly. I wish I had about an extra years experience on one flight from detroit to ft myers. I literally could have done that trip non stop with reserves, quite possible even setting a record.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Quote:
year doesn't matter, model does I had a "C". Short fuselage, 180hp. It was a great four seat airplane like a mustang is a four seat car Mine was exceptionally fast, beat most of the book numbers before the speed mods. After I put in the fuel tank bladders, which added fuel, I could far exceed my own bladders ability to fly. I wish I had about an extra years experience on one flight from detroit to ft myers. I literally could have done that trip non stop with reserves, quite possible even setting a record.
Did you fly into SW Florida International or Page Field or another airport?
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #86
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Was that the one with the J bar landing gear?

Those 180hp Mooney's are amazing works of efficiency.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 06-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Love that manual gear! Also got me in the bad habit of dumping hydraulic flaps. Killed lift like RIGHT NOW. Funny side story, ex wife took the pinch hitter program, the damn instructor kept insisting she not get the engine "over square" or it would blow up. Untrue old wives tale, but irrespective, she could not operate the gear from the right seat. She's already going to gear up landing, who cares about "over square".

Actually it was Punta Gorda, there was a Mooney modifier on the field. He painted my plane after I won the lemon award at the annual convention in Kerrville TX. Hurricane totaled his business, and insurance covered very little of his or his customers losses.

It killed me to have to sell the plane, but it was the final thing that fell after the divorce. I wasn't flying much, and every time I did fly, I was throwing at least a $500 bill into maintenance. I was going broke very quickly. It was a wonderful plane and we had a lot of great fun together. Won a bunch of races, traveled all over east of the Mississippi. unfortunately, the guy who bought it, totaled it on what appeared to be a simple cross wind landing, which was well within the published numbers, and I exceeded those numbers by a lot at least once. Simple pilot error.

Short fuselage had a unique problem, my foot could change level flight to up or down 100'/min I could hardly trim it that accurate! Gear was worth exactly 500'/min. OM, gear down, pressure on yoke to stabilize oscillation, rudder to stay on localizer, damn it was easy.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #88
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
My old flight instructor used to say " You can teach a monkey to take off and fly straight and level, but you need a pilot to land."
Sounds like something an IP told me at Ft. Rucker...do you think your IP & My IP might be related???

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #89
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1446 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Was that the one with the J bar landing gear?

Those 180hp Mooney's are amazing works of efficiency.
Quote:
You guys got me almost drooling, been almost 20 years since I've flown a plane. This thread has me wanting to again.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #90
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1446 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Sounds like something an IP told me at Ft. Rucker...do you think your IP & My IP might be related???
Probably not mine was a regional airline pilot doing side work at the fbo. He had been in the military, I forget what branch, but had gotten his licenses on the G. I. bill. He did not fly when in the military.