fear of flying - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Watch out Winds, there is more to fear on the planes now.

http://wonkette.com/518251/wanker-at-30000-feet-united-airlines-sued-after-ignoring-complaints-of-man-using-aisle-seat-as-cockpit

Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #62
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8656 Times on 5164 Posts
Likes Given: 11404

Hmmm.....I always ask for an aisle seat. I keep an eye out for any offenders.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Then there was the porpoising episode that my father and I still laugh about. Porpoising a landing is one of the more embarrassing things a pilot can do. When I was looking at transferring college down to Florida, my family decided to make a vacation of it and we flew down to Orlando. We were either flying into Atlanta or Orlando on a Delta 727 and the following happened.

My dad is sitting on the other side of the aisle and one row in front. The woman sitting directly across the aisle from me seemed to be not very comfortable with flying. As we approached the landing, the pilot began fighting a vicious cross wind. The plane was rocking back and forth, probably more than anything I've experienced on a commercial flight. My father has spent thousands of hours flying in the Air Force, so he and I knew pretty well was happening with the airplane; but it was very evident, the rest of the airplane was heading into panic mode. The woman across the aisle from me, her knuckles were turning white as she grabbed the arms of her seat.

The plane finally hits the runway with a BANG, back into the air, BANG, back into the air, BANG. Over the sound of the engines and wind noise there was a very loud, simultaneous gasp from everyone in the cabin. Followed by the aborted laughter from my dad and i.

As we left the airplane the pilot dutifully took his position at the door to calm any panicked passengers. My father says to him with a smile on his face "heck of a crosswind, huh?" The pilot just rolled his eyes and shook his head and groaned.

Had one on a 757 that I think the FO probably said, "oh!! I though you had the controls capt.!!" There was a plane-long "UMPHAH, GROAN!!" from the pax... Captain didn't come to the door -made the attendants give sheepish smiles.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Charter flight, I'm sitting in the back in clear view of the co-pilot who's stiff arming the controls. I unfortunately said "that's not good". Freaked out a bunch of people including my VP who was also private pilot. Long story short, they washed the plane before flying to pick us up and once level, the trim control was frozen solid. They were able to break loose the ice and life was good.

Supplier corporate flight, the pilot did some incredible things to limit our flight time. On the way out of the plane I mentioned his "tricks". On the flight home, he said, I want that pilot up here We had a nice chat and he enjoyed showing off his all digital cockpit.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #65
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2473 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Then there was the time I buzzed downtown Iowa City at 2am when the bars were letting out.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I WAS YOUNG AND INCREDIBLY STUPID.

The bars were letting out. We gave the smashed college students quite a show. I didn't really quite realize how low we were until I looked to my left and saw the roof of seashore hall above me.

I told my friend who was with me that if anyone asked, we messed up the approach.

That was perhaps the stupidest thing I've done with an airplane.

The scariest thing, no one noticed but me. A bit of explanation... flaps are wing extensions that give the aircraft more lift. Sometimes, you have to be very careful when you raise them or lower them.

One night, again in Iowa City, I was taking some friends flying. I came back into the airport and was too high. I decided to go around, pushed the power forward, then reached over and pulled up the flaps. Problem was, I had a full airplane, much heavier than I typically flew. I felt the airplane sink. I couldn't really tell how much air I had beneath me and was hoping I had 1 more foot than what my sink rate was.

No one else in the airplane had a clue, and I never said anything. But that was the time I thought I may have just got myself and others killed.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #66
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1368 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2 quick stories. When I was doing one of my solo cross countries I forgot to cancel my flight plan when I got to Toledo. When I landed I tried the land line but couldn't get a hold of anybody. So I took off on the final leg back to Akron and cancelled the previous flight plan once I was in the air again. This was my first solo cross country, by now I am so flustered and convinced I will be in trouble that I forget to file a flight plan back to Akron. I end up flying southeast from Toledo until I find I-76 and follow it back to Akron. By the way you can see the Goodyear Blimp Hanger from about a hundred miles away in the air. This is useful knowledge.

I was doing my first night flying with the instructor and as I was approaching the runway for a touch and go we hit a pocket of turbulence and my seat must not have latched because it broke loose and went backwords to the limit of its travel leaving me unable to reach the controls about 100 feet off the ground and decending, If the instructor hadn't been there you folks wouldn't have to read my posts.

I don't know if this is still true but back then (late 80s) if you identified yourself as a student first as long as nobody got hurt and nothing got damaged you could get away with a lot of stupidity. Not intentional stupidity but stupidity none the less.

Last edited by F4U; 06-02-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #67
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8123 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 9329

20 years ago when My Wife and I got Married, we went to my Grandmothers in Alb NM. My Wife dreaded Flying and my leg paid for it the entire flight down and the flights were pretty perfect. Taking off from Alb, the pilot all of the sudden aborted the takeoff about 3 seconds after he gunned it. I sat silent but knew something wasnt right; Alb is a tough takeoff anyways, they have to climb ultra fast to get over the mountains, its a bit tough on the tummy when they do it correctly! The Pilot finally got on the horn and said they had failed to reset the flaps for an Alb Takeoff, I guess Alb has pretty odd atmospheric conditions and if he had tried it the way he started out, we would have never gotten off the ground.

Needless to say, my leg paid the price for the rest of the flight, I felt like a squeezy toy. 20 years later, I think I still have some of the bruises. We havent flown since, I dont miss flying all that much, its become a real pain in the ass anyways.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

I had two inflight incidents...

and aren't we supposed to be making the OP more comfortable with flying?

First was flying along IFR just below the cloud tops in temp of 25F. Should NOT be an issue with icing at that temp. I ran into Super Cooled Drizzle Drops that dropped my airspeed almost 30 kts in less than 30 seconds. I'm forever grateful for the instructor that taught me to "feel" impending stall. Biggest mistake, not declaring an emergency, but dealing with it as an "issue". Filed the NASA report anyway, and about six months later a researcher investigating icing incidents contacted me. We had quite an eye opening conversation for both of us. Apparently SCDD are extremely rare, and even rarer for someone to survive an encounter. The "rain" hit the leading edge and rolled back along the top of the wing, freezing as little bumps as it rolled back.

2nd, was a flying when the weather was not conducive for safe flight... although the weather did not directly cause an issue... I'm flying from Detroit to roughly 100 miles west of Chicago. Chicago was getting hammered in snow, like 2 feet of snow. I delayed my flight several hours, looking for reports of icing and tops. Tops are coming in at 10k, ZERO icing reports, so I launch. I'm over South Bend at 12k, essentially low VFR, but the top reports were correct. For some stupid reason my exwife (she wasn't with me) had an obsession with carb heat. Hearing her whiny voice, I pulled carb heat and suddenly I had zero power. Not huge issue, 12k up, long glide range... except the airports were struggling to stay open, low IFR, and even better, south bend ILS was now out of service. landing options were limited. Fortunately, repeatedly applying carb heat knocked loose the chunk of ice that had developed from partial carb heat due to a slipped cable.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2473 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I had two inflight incidents...

and aren't we supposed to be making the OP more comfortable with flying?

First was flying along IFR just below the cloud tops in temp of 25F. Should NOT be an issue with icing at that temp. I ran into Super Cooled Drizzle Drops that dropped my airspeed almost 30 kts in less than 30 seconds. I'm forever grateful for the instructor that taught me to "feel" impending stall. Biggest mistake, not declaring an emergency, but dealing with it as an "issue". Filed the NASA report anyway, and about six months later a researcher investigating icing incidents contacted me. We had quite an eye opening conversation for both of us. Apparently SCDD are extremely rare, and even rarer for someone to survive an encounter. The "rain" hit the leading edge and rolled back along the top of the wing, freezing as little bumps as it rolled back.

2nd, was a flying when the weather was not conducive for safe flight... although the weather did not directly cause an issue... I'm flying from Detroit to roughly 100 miles west of Chicago. Chicago was getting hammered in snow, like 2 feet of snow. I delayed my flight several hours, looking for reports of icing and tops. Tops are coming in at 10k, ZERO icing reports, so I launch. I'm over South Bend at 12k, essentially low VFR, but the top reports were correct. For some stupid reason my exwife (she wasn't with me) had an obsession with carb heat. Hearing her whiny voice, I pulled carb heat and suddenly I had zero power. Not huge issue, 12k up, long glide range... except the airports were struggling to stay open, low IFR, and even better, south bend ILS was now out of service. landing options were limited. Fortunately, repeatedly applying carb heat knocked loose the chunk of ice that had developed from partial carb heat due to a slipped cable.
Yikes. I've tended to avoid winter weather. Makes it hard to get any flying in between Halloween and Easter.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #70

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

What is carb heat?
johnr1943 Likes This