fear of flying - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Oh good! Now I can tell you my stories about... no never mind. You'd never fly again.
At least there aren't many bears on planes.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #52

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Tell me scott. I'm home I wanna know!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #53
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
The most dramatic episode was back when I was in college in Jacksonville. I invited 3 friends to fly down to Orlando one night to watch the fireworks at the closing of Disney. We were orbiting the amusement park; and while everyone else was watching out the windows at the fireworks, I was watching the lights on the panel get dimmer and dimmer. The alternator had failed and I was having a complete electrical failure over some of the busiest airspace in Florida. That's not a good thing. Thankfully, the ignition system in aircraft run off a different electrical system so there's no risk of the big fan stopping.

On top of that, I had planned on getting gas in Orlando so I didn't have enough to get back to Jax safely. So off to Orlando Executive I go with no lights and no radios. I circled the airport for 20 minutes hoping the tower might spot me and signal me down. No such luck. I finally jumped in on a very short final and hoped there wasn't a Lear Jet flying up my butt on a long final.

All the while I have my 3 friends who are not pilots, all at different stages of panic. My one friend in back is trying to hold my flashlight steady on the instrument panel. It was shaking all over the place because he was shaking all over the place. IIRC, the other two were spending their time praying.

I landed the airplane. Because there was no landing light, I wound up taxing across the grass in between the runway and taxiways because I couldn't see anything on the ground. I'm lucky I didn't drive the plane into a drainage ditch. You'd be surprised how useless those blue taxiway lights are when you can't see the pavement. I finally pulled the airplane underneath the tower and walked into the station below the tower. Picked up the phone to talk to the tower anticipating I was about to get reamed and told to call the FAA first thing in the morning.

The tower never saw me. My airplane was sitting right underneath them, and they still hadn't spotted me. In fact, they thought I was calling them to complain about them not signaling me down. Shoot... I was calling them to cover my ass.

Anyway, we wound up renting a car and driving back to Jax. It was one of the more eventful nights I remember from college.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #54

Haha that sounds awful

Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #55

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In my working days I flew many miles. My partner was a decorated Vietnam pilot who later flew for the USBP. He had more fear of flying than anyone I ever knew. He was never comfortable riding with another pilot.
When he was in control of the aircraft he was so cool that the windows could frost over. Fear of flight is mostly a fear of not being in control.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #56
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Then there was the porpoising episode that my father and I still laugh about. Porpoising a landing is one of the more embarrassing things a pilot can do. When I was looking at transferring college down to Florida, my family decided to make a vacation of it and we flew down to Orlando. We were either flying into Atlanta or Orlando on a Delta 727 and the following happened.

My dad is sitting on the other side of the aisle and one row in front. The woman sitting directly across the aisle from me seemed to be not very comfortable with flying. As we approached the landing, the pilot began fighting a vicious cross wind. The plane was rocking back and forth, probably more than anything I've experienced on a commercial flight. My father has spent thousands of hours flying in the Air Force, so he and I knew pretty well was happening with the airplane; but it was very evident, the rest of the airplane was heading into panic mode. The woman across the aisle from me, her knuckles were turning white as she grabbed the arms of her seat.

The plane finally hits the runway with a BANG, back into the air, BANG, back into the air, BANG. Over the sound of the engines and wind noise there was a very loud, simultaneous gasp from everyone in the cabin. Followed by the aborted laughter from my dad and i.

As we left the airplane the pilot dutifully took his position at the door to calm any panicked passengers. My father says to him with a smile on his face "heck of a crosswind, huh?" The pilot just rolled his eyes and shook his head and groaned.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1070 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Home safe!!! Had a great time and my daughter loved it. The flight down was about as smooth as glass. The one back was a little rough but not too bad. If any of you have the opportunity to go to aruba u should. Its relaxing and beautiful
He who flys and returns they say, will also fly another day.

Piece a cake - right?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8901 Times on 5324 Posts
Likes Given: 11898

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The most dramatic episode was back when I was in college in Jacksonville. I invited 3 friends to fly down to Orlando one night to watch the fireworks at the closing of Disney. We were orbiting the amusement park; and while everyone else was watching out the windows at the fireworks, I was watching the lights on the panel get dimmer and dimmer. The alternator had failed and I was having a complete electrical failure over some of the busiest airspace in Florida. That's not a good thing. Thankfully, the ignition system in aircraft run off a different electrical system so there's no risk of the big fan stopping.

On top of that, I had planned on getting gas in Orlando so I didn't have enough to get back to Jax safely. So off to Orlando Executive I go with no lights and no radios. I circled the airport for 20 minutes hoping the tower might spot me and signal me down. No such luck. I finally jumped in on a very short final and hoped there wasn't a Lear Jet flying up my butt on a long final.

All the while I have my 3 friends who are not pilots, all at different stages of panic. My one friend in back is trying to hold my flashlight steady on the instrument panel. It was shaking all over the place because he was shaking all over the place. IIRC, the other two were spending their time praying.

I landed the airplane. Because there was no landing light, I wound up taxing across the grass in between the runway and taxiways because I couldn't see anything on the ground. I'm lucky I didn't drive the plane into a drainage ditch. You'd be surprised how useless those blue taxiway lights are when you can't see the pavement. I finally pulled the airplane underneath the tower and walked into the station below the tower. Picked up the phone to talk to the tower anticipating I was about to get reamed and told to call the FAA first thing in the morning.

The tower never saw me. My airplane was sitting right underneath them, and they still hadn't spotted me. In fact, they thought I was calling them to complain about them not signaling me down. Shoot... I was calling them to cover my ass.

Anyway, we wound up renting a car and driving back to Jax. It was one of the more eventful nights I remember from college.
Wait a minute. I'm visiting Cane and I still have to fly home. I TOLD you not to tell stories like this!!

To be honest, though, I have been on three flights so far and need to take a fourth one home and I have not been afraid of flying this time. I don't know why not but I have been fine.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 06-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #59

That's good. Everything will be fine anyways winds

Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #60

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Flying never bothered me, the way I look at it is you have a lot higher chance of being injured or killed on the road because of all the idiot drivers, people not paying attention and all the junk people drive.

They'll ground a plane for a scratch or what would seem like a non issue to most of us. However you got people on the road driving with completely bald tires, lights that don't work, engine smoking like a frieght train, bad brakes, the list goes on...and on.

When the wife and I were getting ready to go on our cruise several of my co workers were busting my balls about going on a cruise. One guy even said you'd never get me on a plane or a cruise ship. I just told him, "Cars crash everyday, are you gonna stop driving because of it?"
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380