fear of flying - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 384

It won't help immediately but when you can you should go flying in a small plane with an instructor pilot. I had a friend who discovered he was afraid of not being in control or knowing what is happening and not flying itself.

After he flew in a small aircraft where he experienced control and saw first hand how things worked it calmed him on all flights, he doesn't love flying but it helped.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
It won't help immediately but when you can you should go flying in a small plane with an instructor pilot. I had a friend who discovered he was afraid of not being in control or knowing what is happening and not flying itself.

After he flew in a small aircraft where he experienced control and saw first hand how things worked it calmed him on all flights, he doesn't love flying but it helped.
That is excellent advice. It's been so long ago that I had forgotten that was how Mom got over her fear.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7795 Times on 4682 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post

That is exactly it. I, too, am a fearful flier and I'm flying several times in the next week and a half. For me, I believe, it's that I have to trust that others will know what they are doing and will keep me safe. It's definitely the lack of control. I am also very terrified of heights. I have take prescription sedatives, too, which didn't help me much, either. This time I have to put on a 'brave front' because my two granddaughters will be with and I don't want them to think there is something to be afraid of.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak
So I leave for aruba friday and I'm afraid to fly. I've flown lots of times but it gets worse every time. I have a prescription for it but it doesn't help much. I worry about losing engines, mechanical failures, pilot error and turbulence. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone else deel the same way?
I have the same issue. I'm a me mechanic and I know how easy it is for parts to fail. One thing and one thing only has ever helped me. 2mg Xanax bar. That's the only thing that calms me Down the doctor prescribes me 2 if I'm going on a trip on there one back. I have been on a airline once as a kid on the way to Canada, we hit a air pocket and the plane dropped about 100 feet straight down several people got hurt. Ever since then I've been nervous without this trusty Xanax.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 05-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

Two pieces of advice from a formerly fearful, now excited flyer.

1) Put your life under the protection of Jesus Christ, before you even leave the house. That way you have no fears of not reaching your ULTIMATE destination.
2) Recite to yourself, over & over & over: "I'm calm, relaxed and confident." "I'm calm, relaxed and confident." This is what's known a neuro-linguistics, used by all top performers. You are training your brain to truly become Calm, Relaxed and Confident. I have used this technique for years, in competition, when a big buck walks up on me, before sales calls, proir to interviews... Think of it like batting practice, you don't take BP right before the "2 outs bottom of the ninth appearance at the plate." Practice, Practice, Practice!!

The last reason I am now excited to fly is that I know that there is something more important than my fears awaiting me.*

*Also known as courage.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Airlines actually have the best safety record out of any transportation systems. There's really nothing to worry about.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm not sure I could say that I am "afraid" of flying; I hate flying commercial. I have no great love of heights, but I can get over high places when it is my idea or there is a tail chase on (practically had a water tower named after me in Jr. High & High school). I hate crowds, waiting in line, security checkpoints, mandated sobriety, crappy food, overpriced drinks, and pretty much all things airport. The last time I flew was an almost empty commercial flight on an older plane from Baton Rouge to Memphis some time before 2001. If I ever fly again, it will be at my own hand or in a plane small enough for me to bitchslap the pilot. A family friend has a small plane and has offered to take me up and show me the basics.

Strangely, I find the idea of powered paragliding very appealing, though it is probably MUCH less statistically safe than commercial airline travel.

For long-distance transport other than my car, I LOVE trains. The train is more relaxed and often has a bar at the back. When I was in college, trains still had designated smoking areas.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 05-21-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7788 Times on 4223 Posts
Likes Given: 16471

I have a lot of life insurance. That helps.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I have a lot of life insurance. That helps.
Doesn't do squat for you, just for the beneficiaries. Let's talk about your lifestyle; I might want to lay a bet myself.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1024 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I'm a licensed private pilot, and at one time was a gold member commercial flyer. Your fears are absolutely unfounded, commercial airlines are incredibly safe, pilots have to go through oogles and oogles of training, planes have multiple redundant safety systems. Your risks are greater if someone a mile away accidentally fires a rifle into the air.

I HATE flying, but not over safety concerns. I hate the whole TSA, hurry up and wait experience. Fear of safety, not a one.