Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #101
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
I remember doing touch and gos at Woodbine, one time, in an Archer, after turning to final, the plane started dropping out of the sky. I was adding power, taking in flaps, but was still dropping. I dropped the nose and firewalled the power and finally broke out of the wind shear 50 ft above the ground. Needless to say, I didn't do a go-around. The weather was severe clear with no warnings. That was right after I soloed.
Glad you're here to tell us about it. I can't remember any time that I dealt with a shear like that.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 523 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Glad you're here to tell us about it. I can't remember any time that I dealt with a shear like that.
that's serious shear.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #103
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Worst episode of shear I ever faced was when I was younger, probably within a year of getting my license. I decided to go out to the airport late one night after the tower closed. Storms had rolled through earlier in the evening. The ATIS was a couple hours old, warned of shear, but I figured that was earlier and the wind was normal on the ground.

Got out the 172, and decided to do some night hours. As soon as I got of the ground, it was like riding a bucking bull. The plane was up, down, right, left, all over the place. I went around the pattern and got lined up on on final. I think MLI had about 9,000 feet of runway then. It took me over 7,000 feet to get the airplane back on the ground. For those not familiar, I can typically get a 172 on the ground in less than 1,000'.

I abandoned my night flight plans and put it right back in the hangar. I think I stopped sweating about the time I got home 20 miles away.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA