fear of flying - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #91
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2085 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Sounds like something an IP told me at Ft. Rucker...do you think your IP & My IP might be related???
You get one more added: landing and hover.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #92
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 941 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
You get one more added: landing and hover.
Hover was never an option in a Piper Tomahawk, would have been fun to try though, oh wait that was stall training, hover for a few seconds then drop like a rock and try not to spin.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #93
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7010 Times on 4217 Posts
Likes Given: 8439

I seem to have lost my fear of flying. No anxiety at all on any of my flights during this vacation.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #94
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I seem to have lost my fear of flying. No anxiety at all on any of my flights during this vacation.
Glad to hear it, statistically you are much safer in an airplane per mile traveled.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #95
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Hover was never an option in a Piper Tomahawk, would have been fun to try though, oh wait that was stall training, hover for a few seconds then drop like a rock and try not to spin.
You mean the Traumahawk?

I never did get a chance to fly one of those. Nearly had some yahoo land one on top of me in the pattern though.

I have however seen a Piper Cub hover. Their low stall speed just needs a pretty stiff wind and you can sit in place for quite a while.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
You mean the Traumahawk?

I never did get a chance to fly one of those. Nearly had some yahoo land one on top of me in the pattern though.

I have however seen a Piper Cub hover. Their low stall speed just needs a pretty stiff wind and you can sit in place for quite a while.
One particular {timed} race, I managed something like 6, 6th place finishes... last year, got knocked out by a cub with these huge wing tips. He could actually hover the damn thing!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #97
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
You mean the Traumahawk?

I always heard them called that, but they are almost my only frame of reference. 41 or 42 hours in one, needed one more solo cross country, and a little bit of dual nighttime and would have been ready for the test. Then life intervened. Got laid off from my job, flight instructor got transferred out of state by his regular job. Then an ear problem that causes a lot of pain from too quick a change in altitude.

I had a friend who worked for an air freight company and used to let me ride along and fly some in a Piper Cherokee (260 or 400) can't remember which now, or a Piper Navaho, or a Cessna Caravan, depending on what the load was. He liked hauling cargo because as he put it "boxes don't bitch"

Last time I flew was commercial from akron/canton to tampa, the pilot must have just about dove for the runway because my head just about exploded. None of the usual tricks to equalize pressure in the ears work for me. I use the "earplanes" and they help some on a gentle decent, but on a quick decent I can't hear for most of the rest of the day. My ears just won't "pop".

Did any of you pilots screw up when you first soloed? The day I soloed we were doing touch and goes at wayne county airport when the instructor told me to taxi over to the restaraunt, I started to shut things down when he informed me that we weren't there for lunch, I was to do 3 touch and goes then stop to pick him up. He swears I did 4 before I stopped to get him, I don't know, I was so excited I may have done 20 but I was sure I had followed his instructions and did only 3.

This thread has me really missing it now, maybe now that I am single again and depending on a couple of other things maybe I will get back to it.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #98
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I always heard them called that, but they are almost my only frame of reference. 41 or 42 hours in one, needed one more solo cross country, and a little bit of dual nighttime and would have been ready for the test. Then life intervened. Got laid off from my job, flight instructor got transferred out of state by his regular job. Then an ear problem that causes a lot of pain from too quick a change in altitude.

I had a friend who worked for an air freight company and used to let me ride along and fly some in a Piper Cherokee (260 or 400) can't remember which now, or a Piper Navaho, or a Cessna Caravan, depending on what the load was. He liked hauling cargo because as he put it "boxes don't bitch"

Last time I flew was commercial from akron/canton to tampa, the pilot must have just about dove for the runway because my head just about exploded. None of the usual tricks to equalize pressure in the ears work for me. I use the "earplanes" and they help some on a gentle decent, but on a quick decent I can't hear for most of the rest of the day. My ears just won't "pop".

Did any of you pilots screw up when you first soloed? The day I soloed we were doing touch and goes at wayne county airport when the instructor told me to taxi over to the restaraunt, I started to shut things down when he informed me that we weren't there for lunch, I was to do 3 touch and goes then stop to pick him up. He swears I did 4 before I stopped to get him, I don't know, I was so excited I may have done 20 but I was sure I had followed his instructions and did only 3.

This thread has me really missing it now, maybe now that I am single again and depending on a couple of other things maybe I will get back to it.
I still remember the day of my first solo. Two voices going off in my head, equally loud.

"GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME"

and

"WHAT ARE YOU? NUTS? YOU'RE INSANE IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO DO THIS"

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA

Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #99
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I still remember the day of my first solo. Two voices going off in my head, equally loud.

"GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME"

and

"WHAT ARE YOU? NUTS? YOU'RE INSANE IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO DO THIS"
Mine was more along the lines of " I hope I don't screw up. I hope I don't screw up, I hope I don't screw up"

Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I remember doing touch and gos at Woodbine, one time, in an Archer, after turning to final, the plane started dropping out of the sky. I was adding power, taking in flaps, but was still dropping. I dropped the nose and firewalled the power and finally broke out of the wind shear 50 ft above the ground. Needless to say, I didn't do a go-around. The weather was severe clear with no warnings. That was right after I soloed.