fear of flying
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > fear of flying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Default fear of flying

So I leave for aruba friday and I'm afraid to fly. I've flown lots of times but it gets worse every time. I have a prescription for it but it doesn't help much. I worry about losing engines, mechanical failures, pilot error and turbulence. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone else deel the same way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak
So I leave for aruba friday and I'm afraid to fly. I've flown lots of times but it gets worse every time. I have a prescription for it but it doesn't help much. I worry about losing engines, mechanical failures, pilot error and turbulence. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone else deel the same way?
Yes. Hit the bar before you go, get a little buzz on. Use the bathroom before boarding, after takeoff and the drinks person is coming around get a beer and some little bottles of booze....just enough to take the edge off....watch movie and don't look out window.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I hate flying too, but for different reasons. 2 metal plates in my head. Security, elevation changes, being disarmed, tempature changes, etc. As far as the above problems, i aproach them with the attitude of, what will happen, will happen.

Best advice I can give you is to go out and do something you enjoy during you free time in the 2 to 3 days leading up to the flight. It may help to take your mind off some of your worries. Best of luck, and try to enjoy your trip.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2968 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Friday eh? There is a reason that airports have bars. Seriously. I will not fly without a couple drinks in me (when possible). I will admit that If I'm going to have a case of the nerves, it will be on take off & on landing. The rest of the time, it's simply a really bad bus ride.
Additionally, I bring something that I can concentrate on to distract from the experience (book, tablet, phone).
I can't speak from experience, but I suspect that a certain recently legalized (in a number of states) herb might help. I'm not suggesting any unlawful activity, just pointing out a theory.

My problem isn't fear, so much as a hatred of flying. The process of flying can be so aggravating, a crash may seem like a reasonable option. I detest the whole process of trying to get on the plane. 9-11 did me no favors. It's a rarity when I'm NOT pulled out for the "bonus" inspection." "Sure, let the angry looking Arab dude zip right through, but me and the retired lady from Minnesota get the bonus screening." I hate the crowds. I hate the TSA as an organization; do they even hire non-douchebags to interact with the public? I hate the overpriced food. But the overpriced drinks at the bar are worth it.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Try some noise canceling headphones. They will make you turn them off when they could help the most ( take off and landing) but they should help during the rest of the flight. Asked to be placed next to a kicking screaming child. You'll be so mad you'll forget that you're on a plane.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I'm going with my wife and 4 year old daughter. My biggest fears are turbulence and mechanical failures ...... I know its an irrational fear but I don't know how to get rid of it. It literally ruins my vacation because its all I think about

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Liked 773 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 1602

Quote:
In a quick answer... No, you are FAR from alone in that fear. But just like everything else the media gets their hands on... They have overblown the situation. The odds of you dying in a single airline crash are 1 in 29.4 MILLION (No, that is not a typo and it is varified by 2012 statistics; http://www.statisticbrain.com/airplane-crash-statistics/ ) The airline industry, while always malined by public and media... is highly regulated and the flight personel are (for the most part) well trained in emergency situations.

I myself, do NOT like to fly... but because of work, distance and time... have found myself more times than I can count on a plane. My personal preference are the jumbos. The bigger the plane (and the more engines on it)... the more I feel at ease. If you can, bring something along to take your mind off of it. A book, magazine, Ipod, game device... Travel like you got a kid with you and if you want, let the flight crew know you have anxiety. They specialize in putting passangers at ease.

One last thing... I would be REAL careful of mixing alcohol with medications. You have NO idea what could happen... Be cool & good luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Before I retired (again) April last year, was flying about 150 times a year.

Honestly, the dangerous part is getting TO the airport.

Re: Turbulence- have only experienced BAD turbulence on a couple of flights. What made my wife go white knuckled that she CALLED turbulence was far less than what you experience going down a gravel road in a pickup- but you are EXPECTING that.

Re: Engine failure- if you car was built like a commercial aircraft, it would never break down. Even on the small stuff I used to fly, there were TWO ignition systems for each cylinder. And a requirement for an inspection by a certified inspector every XX number of hours, after any repair, test flights, etc. And none of the ones you will fly have one engine. It flies with less than all of them running.

Take a book. Take a DVD player and a movie you have not seen. Snug your seatbelt up, and do something distracting. Like worry about the drinking water in Aruba. Take some snacks to nibble on. Crossword puzzles, etc.

You are not alone- a LOT of folks are uncomfortable flying. Me- I am uncomfortable with roller coasters (and traffic on the DC Beltway). Some folks love them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
FWIW, you have a far, far better chance of winning a lottery than being hurt at all while flying. To me, the TSA is the "hell" of flying. These people totally took the fun out of air travel for me.

Not to worry, we'll all be fine here till you get back. You'll really like Aruba. Be sure to do some snorkeling.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Not counting a bus, you are probably as safe from accidental death as you are ever going to get in an airliner. I'm going to bet that you drive. In 2008 just over 34,000 died in the US in car crashes, and 800 died in train crashes. Nobody died in commercial airline crashes for that year. Not one single person. Workplace fatalities for the same year accounted for another 5,214.

For the most part fear of flying is a control issue. You don't have any, and the pilot does. Here's something to lean on. Your pilot is not drunk on his ass like many on the road around you. Your pilot has a backup pilot who is also not drunk on his ass like many on the road around you. That plane never would have left the ground if they were. You have hundreds of people doing nothing but making sure that plane gets from point A to B which may or may not happen with your luggage.

There is only one way you could be safer on this trip, and I would bet they don't have bus service to Aruba. Oh, yeah. One other thing. When you get to Aruba be careful. You have a much better chance of getting killed there than you do on the flight over.