FBI Moneypak virus/malware
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > FBI Moneypak virus/malware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default FBI Moneypak virus/malware

Beware of this. If anyone you know has been infected, you'll hear about it. It basically shuts down your computer operations and puts up a page (that you can't do anything about) noting that you're in violation of one of three "crimes" listed. It notes that unless you go to Moneypak and send in $200, you'll be formally charged with a crime. Anit-virus programs don't see this thing. Rootkit programs don't see it. The quickest way to get rid of it is to start your computer in Safe Mode and run rstrui, to restore your computer to an earlier checkpoint date. This seems to get rid of the problem. As to where you get "infected" with this thing, I haven't seen much written on it yet. There are a lot of "fixes" but many cost you money, even though a lot of them say they're free. Yeah. They're free...to tell you you're infected then they want to be paid to do their job. Restoring your computer to an earlier date is quick, easy and free.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Interesting

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1831 Times on 1056 Posts
Likes Given: 3769

Here is some chatter on Norton to remove this thing!

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Problem-with-FBI-Moneypak-Virus/m-p/750034/message-uid/750034#U750034

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks for the heads-up!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

notdku Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I appreciate info!

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1831 Times on 1056 Posts
Likes Given: 3769

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I appreciate info!
No problem!

Here is malwarebytes site. I purchased the software from newegg or directly from the site. I have norton internet security; but, run this program as well.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
No problem!

Here is malwarebytes site. I purchased the software from newegg or directly from the site. I have norton internet security; but, run this program as well.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!
I think I'm going to have to look into that group. McAfee has been a roaring pain in the ass lately. Real Time Scanning just shuts off and I can't restart it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee twice and I'm ready to s**tcan it. Their "technical support" is as useless as antlers on a butterfly. I told them so in several emails and they still suggest I talk to their "technical" staff. I know more about computers and software than their people. After 2½ hours of online chat about not having access to their site and asking to uninstall and reinstall their program, the "technical expert" finally suggested.....wait for it......"You should uninstall and reinstall the program." Gee, no s**t, Sherlock. As an aside, in one of my emails, I suggested that McAfee move its technical support OUT of India and back to the U.S.A. That didn't go over well with them but that's tough s**t for them.

Thanks for the link to the Malwarebytes site.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

just run linux and never look back.