Favorite/Personal Mottos? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Favorite/Personal Mottos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Its in my sig

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #82
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Regarding education:

It's your choice: You can be The Professor or you can be Gilligan.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #83
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4
Its in my sig
People using the mobile app on their iPhone do not see anything but the post. It would be helpful if anyone posting would reiterate their signature line for those who are unable to access it.

Mobile app users are also unable to like or dislike posts, which is why I haven't "liked" more posts.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #84
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8312 Times on 4804 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

I worked in car dealerships for several years, often training or mentoring young mechanics, I was also one of the guys who would introduce the new guys- including management and new factory reps- around the shop.

"Anything Shocker can do I can do better and faster." (this was when introducing a friend whom I had worked with for many years. He is a good wrench, but he and I know I am better)

"If you are going to be successful working flat rate you have to approach it like having sex in an elevator. You take off as little as you can in order to get the job done well before the doors open." (The kids always like this one because I said "sex". But after they thought about what I meant by it, it usually resonated with them for other reasons).

""Some is good, more is better and too much is just right" is a recipe to fu*k it up!"

"You might not have enough time to do it right, but you damn sure will have time to do it over."

"If you screw something up, tell me and I'll show you how to fix it. Don't tell me, you are fired and I will have to fix it myself."

"Learn from your mistakes, but remember that the worst mistake to learn from is lying to me."

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #85
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8312 Times on 4804 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Vikingdad on respect.

Respect is not demanded, it is commanded by your bearing. I approach everybody with roughly the same amount of respect, which is a great deal of it, and then it can go up or down from there depending on what you do. Sometimes this happens very quickly and sometimes not. Usually it takes some time to see how you treat other people. Treat other people poorly (especially people who are less fortunate than you) and my level of respect for you plummets and usually cannot be recovered (and you will be in no doubt as to how I feel).

I came to this philosophy several years ago when the General Manager of the dealership I was working for said at one point that I "owed" him respect and I told him that was nonsense and gave him the above description of respect and how it is earned. Interestingly enough I think he respected my response (meaning I was not fired on the spot!) because he acted a little different around me after that, somehow more respectful. I say interestingly because the guy is a rotten SOB.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #86
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many people don't get it, but respect has to be earned, even self respect has to be earned. When you are respectful of a stranger you are showing respect to the ones that taught you how to live, but that stranger must then earn the respect you have shown them by their deeds or the respect goes away quickly.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #87

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

People using the mobile app on their iPhone do not see anything but the post. It would be helpful if anyone posting would reiterate their signature line for those who are unable to access it.

Mobile app users are also unable to like or dislike posts, which is why I haven't "liked" more posts.
If you want to like a post on the app, go to the top of the page and click the area that has the title of the thread.

image-3393629766.jpg

That will take you to desktop version of the same thread. Go to the page where you found the post you liked and like it from there.

It's a little bit of a pain but it works

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 05-01-2013 at 06:19 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3221 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 18579

R..E..S..P...E..C..T..IT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO ME ...Oooooooh..Oooohh..
..a little respect..give it to me .. Give it to me..Oooooh yeah, , a little respect..!

Queen of soul , Aretha Franklin , great ole song at a noble trait..! I know why I like it here so much..!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #89

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

You can go in the reading options and make text in sigs visible

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #90

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
That reminds me of something I was told once. "It's not what you look like, it's how you act."
As a long-haired hippy, I gonna have to disagree with that....