Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Favorite Magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/favorite-magazines-63904/)

Model70 05-06-2012 12:44 AM

Favorite Magazines

No not bullet holders, talking periodicals here.

I've always enjoyed "Rifle Sporting Arms Journal" "Shooting Times" and "Petersen's Rifle Shooter." Also "The Complete Rifleman." Jon Sundra knows his $h!t. I like reading Craig Boddington and Layne Simpson a lot too. I'd like to punch Mike Venturino and his BPCR competitions right in the belly. Wayne Van Swoll is another good one.

I've recently subscribed to "Petersen's Hunting" though. I like my rifles, so I really don't give a crap about most new ones. Chrome-moly steel and walnut till i die. My love of shooting is married to my love of hunting, so it made sense. I get so bored to death with "this rifle shoots this group with this ammo, yada yada yada..."

I read an article by Mike Schoby about tracking down an Eland in Namibia that just did it for me ya know? He talked about how he liked his gun, what ammo he was using, but it was about the hunt. He was reviewing a Kimber rifle for the hunt, and liked it so much he bought it when he got home and had Turnbull Mfg color case harden the receiver and rings. Looks awesome.

I never really got into Kimber rifles, always seemed like they just stuck a Winchester Model 70 bolt in a Remington 700 receiver. Oh well.

I just love shooting as it relates to hunting instead of just playing range ninja. Hell, I went to sight a gun in tonight and ended up killing some ground squirrels instead! Anyway, what hunting/shooting mags you all like?

mountainman13 05-06-2012 12:52 AM

I hate when my girl gets her periodical, she is such a bi@tch!

Model70 05-06-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I hate when my girl gets her periodical, she is such a bi@tch!

Wow. You're a classy guy.

270win 05-06-2012 08:53 PM

Model70, I always figured you for a tactical life kinda guy?

But I do enjoy the Peterson's mag too

mountainman13 05-06-2012 08:59 PM

Nah I skipped class

texaswoodworker 05-07-2012 01:01 AM

Wood Magazine
Creative Woodworking and Crafts
Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts
Fine Woodworking
Woodturning Design

I'm a woodworker, what do you expect? :D :p (no, I don't subcribe to all of them, just one. The rest I may pick up if it peaks my interest.)

I would like to ad a gun magazine to that list. Any suggestions for someone who mostly likes C&R, but would like to see some of the new stuff too?

Hairtrigger 05-07-2012 01:04 AM

RIFLE, HANDLOADER, SPORTING CLASSICS and the NRA magazine.

mountainman13 05-07-2012 01:10 AM

American rifleman and the occasional guns and ammo that gets left at the club.

I'll second Tex's question for a good c&r mag suggestion.

winds-of-change 05-07-2012 01:12 AM

I just started getting Guns and Ammo and Handgun magazines. They were pretty cheap subscriptions. :D

mountainman13 05-07-2012 01:21 AM

Yeah guns and ammo isn't bad. We have a few guys that leave them at the club after they read them so...the price is right.