Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Favorite famous quote(s) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/favorite-famous-quote-s-73822/)

BeyondTheBox 10-06-2012 06:02 PM

Favorite famous quote(s)

I'm not much of one to bleat to the barkings of others, usually, but there are a few I find very valuable and fitting to my beliefs/lifestyle.

Walt Whittman - "All can be forgiven of he whom has complete candor."

Adolf Hiter - "How fortunate for governments that their peoples don't think."

Charles Bukowski - "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way."

For me the last one has a reverse meaning. Bukowski intended it as an insult to what he considered over-intellectualization in baroque writings, but really, if you analyze and "intellectualize" it, he's saying that artists put things insuficiently, because nothing is simple, no matter how much we'd like to believe or make them.

Anyway, share yours if you'd like. There's TONS of good Jefferson quotes, I'm sure, if I receive any participation, we'll see some of them.

boatme98 10-06-2012 07:05 PM

"Women are like elephants, they're nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one."

W.C. Fields

BeyondTheBox 10-06-2012 07:22 PM

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only lies to others."

I think that one's Nietzsche, but might be some old philosopher like Plato ot Homer or some greek wako like that.

BeyondTheBox 10-06-2012 07:35 PM

This one is often credited to Joseph Stalin, but it was actually something he stole from a book, can't recall the writer. Stalin was the more noteable person to use it though.

"A single death is a tragedy, a million just a statistic."

My take on that is a single death is always given a name and a face, it's made personal, otherwise it's just a number on a piece of paper, like casualties of war. That's why the news now names events instead, trying to make them more "real" for those not necessarily ditectly affected or detatched by distance or else.

c3shooter 10-06-2012 08:06 PM

To be a Virginian
either by Birth,
Marriage, Adoption,
or even on
one's Mother's side
is an Introduction to
any State in the Union,
a Passport to
any Foreign Country,
and a Benediction from Above

.........Anonymous

ShagNasty1001 10-06-2012 08:19 PM

Women. Can't live with them, can't shoot them

-my dad

Fathead00 10-06-2012 08:51 PM

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

ellis36 10-06-2012 08:52 PM

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” Robert Frost

“Try and fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen" Unknown

Car54 10-06-2012 09:01 PM

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

BeyondTheBox 10-06-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

Can't believe I forgot this one. Thank you SOoooo much for bringing it back to my attention. I always wondered what he actually meant by this one? Franklin was a very intelligent man, so to think him even capable, let alone okay with, shutting off reason is just disappointing. So was this what I consider it to be, a mockery of religion/faith, or was he truly a grasper at straws? So much fun to analyze these things.