"Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > "Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Time to switch out the JHPs for the SWCs.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Time to get the Muckalucks Ready,... Esp. If your over 5,000'

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #33

Liked 4621 Times on 2301 Posts
Likes Given: 1068

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets of weather prediction. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect extra firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does It still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The diligent Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting a **** load of firewood."

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Sorry to necro this thread but it looks so far like the Farmer's Almanac was right!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 02-01-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #35

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Obama wants to increase taxes on oil and gas drilling. Obama is concerned about climate change. Hell, we are paying his heating bills. He should talk to the people who are buying $5.00 PG Propane. It seems his Wind Mills are not keeping people warm.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #36
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default "Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Obama wants to increase taxes on oil and gas drilling. Obama is concerned about climate change. Hell, we are paying his heating bills. He should talk to the people who are buying $5.00 PG Propane. It seems his Wind Mills are not keeping people warm.

I don't even bother to Watch the SOTU address anymore. I have not watched one since RMN was president, and even he wasn't as good a liar as this guy is...and I was 13 when he left office!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-29-2014 at 09:12 AM.
DFlynt Likes This 
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #37
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7989 Times on 4791 Posts
Likes Given: 10271

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Sorry to necro this thread but it looks so far like the Farmer's Almanac was right1
I like the Farmer's Almanac. Lots of good info in there and it's often right about predictions.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #38

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have faith in the monthly weather predictions in the farmers almanac. I haven't really monitored the daily predictions. We have an excellent weatherman in Greg Fishel. He predicted Fran coming 100 miles inland with hurricane force winds. He predicted the record snowfalls in 2000. The NWS forecast was 2" to 3" of snow. We got over 2' of snow. Countless other times he ignored the NWS forecast to make an accurate forecast. Usually when he ignores the NWS forecast he promises he will do the weather standing in the WRAL garden fountain if he wrong. Only once in over 20 years he has been in the fountain. When a weather forecaster is willing to literally stand behind his forecast I believe him.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 516 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 169

I would agree that the almanac is pretty good about predicting trends and patterns,, it was never meant for local specifics,,, as stated earlier,, information for agricultural uses has been its primary concern and a lot of the older farmers up here in OH10, use it quite regularly with good results as far as they are concerned, if it works for you, then use it, like any other resource.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #40
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 4404

You all in the Midwest, send some of that moisture & snowfall to the southwest and west coast regions. It maybe cold; but, too dry here!