Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > "Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It's been a very mild summer here. Only hit triple digits three times, and just barely.
It stays in the 90s for the most part here. It rarely gets above 99, but it doesn't really go below 90 either.

I miss the 60-70 degree weather.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 515 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

This is all because of man made global warming no doubt.... Or so they will probably say...

The Obama and Gore climate team need to find a way to spin this in order to keep fleecing the Country of billions of our tax dollars.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #13

Liked 1338 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 652

Boy I hope not. I have no desire to spend months hauling propane tanks and torches up and down ice encrusted catwalks, thawing pulleys, belts, and rollers. And freezing off various anatomical parts while hammering and chipping rock off a couple miles of conveyor belts.
Jeeze, why'd I leave Florida?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Bring on the cold. My wood shed is full and will have 2 tons of wood pellets before cold weather sets in. Heat up some Laird's Applejack and apple juice and pour it in a big mug with a couple of cinnamon sticks and kick back.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

gr8oldguy Likes This 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Bring on the cold. My wood shed is full and will have 2 tons of wood pellets before cold weather sets in. Heat up some Laird's Applejack and apple juice and pour it in a big mug with a couple of cinnamon sticks and kick back.
Laird's Applejack...now you're talking, doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #16

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
This is all because of man made global warming no doubt.... Or so they will probably say...

The Obama and Gore climate team need to find a way to spin this in order to keep fleecing the Country of billions of our tax dollars.

Apparently someone doesn't understand the difference between weather and climate.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
The colder the better. I hope the predictions are true. Joe deBunker, one of my favorite philosophers once said "you can't be too rich or too cold".
I don't know about the too cold part....too far below 98.6 can land you on a cooling table.

Carl Sagan

Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1076 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I live in Florida. Bitterly cold in the winter is when the daytime temps do not hit 60 deg F. Now as an old high school soccer referee, I had some games fall into the mid 30s, which in shorts is colder then a Mother in Law's kiss, but since I am not doing that anymore, I am good!

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I live in Florida. Bitterly cold in the winter is when the daytime temps do not hit 60 deg F. Now as an old high school soccer referee, I had some games fall into the mid 30s, which in shorts is colder then a Mother in Law's kiss, but since I am not doing that anymore, I am good!

I live 250 miles North of you and we sometimes get into the 20s or below. A few times in my life it has been in the low teens for several days and it has snowed three times that I remember in the last 50 years. I spent one Winter in Chicago and I can't figure out why anyone would live in that kind of frozen Hell.

I heat with Propane gas and the dealers think it is derived by melting gold. I spend about 4 Finnish model M-39s to keep my butt from freezing in the Winter. For me perfect weather is the few weeks we get in the Spring and Fall where it is low 80s day and mid 60s night.

You Yanks can have all of the snow you desire, I have never seen anything that is more worthless. Dreaming of a White Christmas? Bullshirt! If I ever have the desire for snow, I will stick my head in the freezer until I get snot-sickles.

Carl Sagan

Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2079 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
It's been a very mild summer here. Only hit triple digits three times, and just barely.
I hear from folks who live here a lot longer then me that this was an "easy" summer temps wise,..and we had one stretch of 110 temps 12 days strait...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*