Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Family-Traditions.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/family-traditions-52239/)

LONGHAIR 11-22-2011 01:43 PM

Family-Traditions....

Who has Family-Traditions for Thanksgiving and X-Mas???...and What are they???...My family meets at my moms house for a big thanksgiving dinner and for x-mas,The family heads to my sisters house and opens their gifts,and then eat a nice meal,Smoked-Ham most of the time....

dks7895 11-22-2011 02:28 PM

My brother and I always bring out the Halloween pumpkins and shoot them up on Thanksgiving. :D

winds-of-change 11-22-2011 02:36 PM

Thanksgiving at my Dad's on Friday after Thanksgiving with my grown children and grandchild. My brother and his family is always there, my sister, if she can get home from Arizona.

Christmas Eve at my Dad's with the above mentioned group. Christmas morning at my daughter's where she and I make breakfast for 'the guys' and watch my granddaughter open presents Santa brought her.

boatme98 11-22-2011 04:18 PM

No family traditions here. I'm from a military family, and all of us kids travel alot so just all being together at one time once in while was a plus for a holiday.

When I was in the Air Force I'd voulenteer to stand duty over Thanksgiving so the new guys could go home. Then when Christmas came, they'd realize they f'd up as that's when me and the older guys would be going home. :D

winds-of-change 11-22-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatme98 (Post 633553)
No family traditions here. I'm from a military family, and all of us kids travel alot so just all being together at one time once in while was a plus for a holiday.

When I was in the Air Force I'd voulenteer to stand duty over Thanksgiving so the new guys could go home. Then when Christmas came, they'd realize they f'd up as that's when me and the older guys would be going home. :D

Haha.....it was a learning experience.

Where I work, if you work Christmas one year, next your you get it off. Same with all the holidays. Since I'm a comparatively older person where I work, I offer to work New Years Eve for the younger set and they often will work Christmas for me. I never do anything on New Year's Eve, anyway. Last year's New Year's Eve festivities was doing a ride-a-long with the local cops. :(

Firearms4ever 11-22-2011 05:17 PM

For Thanksgiving my uncle, aunt, brother, grandmother, and parents come to our house. We fry turkeys, have a big lunch/dinner, watch movies/TV, play games, and ect.

For Christmas we do mostly the same thing except on Christmas Eve we drive around town looking at other peoples' Christmas lights. We open presents and alike at my house aswell.

dmp 11-22-2011 05:38 PM

I spend the days surfing FTF - living vicariously through people who have lives. :( :-/

:)

None. We do meals every t-giving, but since we moved 2500 miles from family, and our local friends have their OWN families, we don't have much socialization. This year we're doing T-giving the saturday AFTER; it's the only way to get folks free from family obligations.

Xmas - I struggle w/ xmas. I hate seeing Christ associated with the holiday, so feel silly going to church. My kids never believed in Santa; but we still open Xmas morning. I'm a traditional german xmas-eve type celebration guy. My wife, OTOH, likes it in the morning, so that's what we do.

Firearms4ever 11-22-2011 05:54 PM

I use to struggle with Christmas when I was a kid/teenager, because I'm the only one in my family who's not Christian. However, over the years it quit bothering me some, because I do not associate the holidays with their religious or spiritual origins. Instead I view the holidays to me are just a universal tradition, but I do acknowledge their roots.