Falsehood Debunkers - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Falsehood Debunkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I can attest to this being false. Just over a year ago a basic training soldier (Fort Sill, OK) was hit with a negligently discharged .50 BMG round. I was not in BCT, however I was in Warrior Transition Course at the time and my platoon received a fairly detailed account of the incident. Apparently the young would be soldier lived for *some* time (died after transport, but was not torn to pieces). I am sure the official report is available somewhere in the DOD maze, if one were so inclined.
That is a bad day.

This "myth" is constantly posted on the discovery boards. Then someone comes along and posts the Afghan snipers video from youtube as proof. But that video was actually pirated from Varmit Safari II.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #52

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
About the soda bottle one. The Mythbusters have been asked a million times to do this one. But they flat out refused because there is no way to test the myth without showing how to actually make a suppressor. Not something they want to be liable for.
Funny right there just because there is plenty of literature out there that shows how to make a suppressor out of a wide variety of materials. Kinda like making a bomb of sorts with the amount of info out there to be had. Of course should one buy or order a book with that kind of info had better be fine with being on a list somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #53

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

[QUOTE=skullcrusher;232046]Hogwash. The multiple safety feature on the 1911 will not allow it to be fired unless all safeties are off and your finger pulls the trigger. The design is over 100 years old and a remarkable piece of engineering by J M Browning.

The older models (the 70 series I believe) had a free floating firing pin. If it was dropped and hit the floor barrel first the pin would hit the primer causing a discharge. The newer models fixed this. I have a Citidel. I can take a paper clip straightend out and push my firing pin in without the trigger depressed. I would go off if I drop it. Im just careful not to drop it.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Funny right there just because there is plenty of literature out there that shows how to make a suppressor out of a wide variety of materials.
There is literature out there that tells you how to weaponize BA stern with nothing more than what you can buy at Lowe's, but that does not mean that the MB are going to show it on national TV.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #55
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 372

[QUOTE=Rick1967;236004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Hogwash. The multiple safety feature on the 1911 will not allow it to be fired unless all safeties are off and your finger pulls the trigger. The design is over 100 years old and a remarkable piece of engineering by J M Browning.

The older models (the 70 series I believe) had a free floating firing pin. If it was dropped and hit the floor barrel first the pin would hit the primer causing a discharge. The newer models fixed this. I have a Citidel. I can take a paper clip straightend out and push my firing pin in without the trigger depressed. I would go off if I drop it. Im just careful not to drop it.
The series 70 and earlier 1911 did not have a "free floating firing pin". They always had a return spring. They were not "locked" like the series 80's, but did not "float" like the FP on an SKS or AR.

If you dropped an older 1911 straight down on its muzzle from sufficient height it might go off. The 3 feet or so from your waist to the ground is not sufficient to cause a discharge.

The AR firing pin will contact the primer of a chambered cartridge when it slams closed. There is rarely a problem with a slam fire in AR's as the FP lacks sufficient mass to set off the primer.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #56

[QUOTE=robocop10mm;236406][QUOTE=Rick1967;236004]

The series 70 and earlier 1911 did not have a "free floating firing pin". They always had a return spring. They were not "locked" like the series 80's, but did not "float" like the FP on an SKS or AR.

If you dropped an older 1911 straight down on its muzzle from sufficient height it might go off. The 3 feet or so from your waist to the ground is not sufficient to cause a discharge.

I agree with you. I simply didn't know the proper term for the type if firing pin assembly.

Even so...I still don't plan on dropping mine.

Hey while we are talking about this, I have heard of people carrying in their car and being in an accident. I have heard that the sudden stop of the vehicle caused accidental discharges of the 70 series. Sounds possible. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #57

How do you guys get your quote to turn up in the blue box. I probably sound stupid. But I am new to this. I just noticed that mine wasn't doing it.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #58

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
How do you guys get your quote to turn up in the blue box. I probably sound stupid. But I am new to this. I just noticed that mine wasn't doing it.
Start typing AFTER [/QUOTE] , you'll be fine if you do this!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #59
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 372

[QUOTE=Rick1967;236503][QUOTE=robocop10mm;236406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post

I agree with you. I simply didn't know the proper term for the type if firing pin assembly.

Even so...I still don't plan on dropping mine.

Hey while we are talking about this, I have heard of people carrying in their car and being in an accident. I have heard that the sudden stop of the vehicle caused accidental discharges of the 70 series. Sounds possible. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

If the muzzle was pointed in the exact direction of the force, and held rigidly, and the crash was very severe it MIGHT happen.

Dropping a gun is more hazardous to the finish than it is a danger to discharge. I have seen several firearms negligently discharged by the person trying to catch it when dropped. They grap and accidentally press the trigger. I even saw a Smith M-66 do this. The gun was extensively checked afterwards. The hammer did not even impact the concrete. The officer swore it went off when it hit the floor. Suffice it to say he was mistaken.

Newest Threads