Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Eye Pain from shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Eye Pain from shooting?

I'm just curious if any of you have had eye pain after going to the range. Last week I went and everything seemed normal, but the next day I noticed some pain above my left eye. After a week I went to the doctor mainly thinking perhaps sinus congestion was the issue. Turns out that's not the problem and I haven't had any injury so I'm just interested if this has ever happened to you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nope, never happened to me.

I DO get eye pain when I see this................

peolosi.jpeg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nope, no eye pain.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds pretty serious Sky, you'd better send me any guns you have. Wouldn't want to see you suffer. Seriously tho, Were you closing your left eye to shoot? Maybe you have a muscle cramp from squeezing your eye shut.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

right-handed? squintin too hard maybe!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #6

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Shooting in bright conditions? I had similar problem which effected both eyes, but mostly the left eye, until I went to dark shade shooting glasses. Problem was solved for me.

3 or so hours with right eye in higher magnification 56mm objective scope fatigued the right eye and made my left eye muscles really tense up after about 2 or so hours. Left eye felt the discomfort for up to two days afterwards right eye didn't bother so much.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

You won't have any eye pain if you take the spoon out of the cup. Wait, that is for drinking tea.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #8

pandamonium-That picture does make my eyes hurt. As in my right eye starts to hurt

freefall-I do think a strain/muscle ache could be a problem especially since I can hardly see the crosshairs on one of the scopes I was using.

mrm14-That sounds about right, it was so bright I thought I was looking at snow (or was I?). I was also using a 4-16x56 for 4 hours.

And to everyone else the amusing comments truly are helpful...pain distraction

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
I'm just curious if any of you have had eye pain after going to the range. Last week I went and everything seemed normal, but the next day I noticed some pain above my left eye. After a week I went to the doctor mainly thinking perhaps sinus congestion was the issue. Turns out that's not the problem and I haven't had any injury so I'm just interested if this has ever happened to you.
what kind of shooting were ya doing?? ive heard of cases where folks have torn corneas from shooting high powered rifles incorrectly recievieng a blow to the eye socket from the scope

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
pandamonium-That picture does make my eyes hurt. As in my right eye starts to hurt

freefall-I do think a strain/muscle ache could be a problem especially since I can hardly see the crosshairs on one of the scopes I was using.

mrm14-That sounds about right, it was so bright I thought I was looking at snow (or was I?). I was also using a 4-16x56 for 4 hours.

And to everyone else the amusing comments truly are helpful...pain distraction
your scope isnt focused correctly if the xhairs are difficult to see. point the firearm skyward rotate the focal ring until the xhairs are in focus and easy to see then lock the ring down.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...