Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Eye Pain from shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/eye-pain-shooting-39058/)

skyhawk 02-27-2011 05:45 AM

Eye Pain from shooting?

I'm just curious if any of you have had eye pain after going to the range. Last week I went and everything seemed normal, but the next day I noticed some pain above my left eye. After a week I went to the doctor mainly thinking perhaps sinus congestion was the issue. Turns out that's not the problem and I haven't had any injury so I'm just interested if this has ever happened to you.

pandamonium 02-27-2011 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, never happened to me.

I DO get eye pain when I see this................

CA357 02-27-2011 06:14 AM

Nope, no eye pain.

freefall 02-27-2011 06:52 AM

Sounds pretty serious Sky, you'd better send me any guns you have. Wouldn't want to see you suffer.:p Seriously tho, Were you closing your left eye to shoot? Maybe you have a muscle cramp from squeezing your eye shut.

USEBOTHHANDS 02-27-2011 04:55 PM

right-handed? squintin too hard maybe!;)

mrm14 02-27-2011 05:09 PM

Shooting in bright conditions? I had similar problem which effected both eyes, but mostly the left eye, until I went to dark shade shooting glasses. Problem was solved for me.

3 or so hours with right eye in higher magnification 56mm objective scope fatigued the right eye and made my left eye muscles really tense up after about 2 or so hours. Left eye felt the discomfort for up to two days afterwards right eye didn't bother so much.

skullcrusher 02-27-2011 05:19 PM

You won't have any eye pain if you take the spoon out of the cup. Wait, that is for drinking tea. ;)

skyhawk 02-27-2011 06:36 PM

pandamonium-That picture does make my eyes hurt. As in my right eye starts to hurt :D

freefall-I do think a strain/muscle ache could be a problem especially since I can hardly see the crosshairs on one of the scopes I was using.

mrm14-That sounds about right, it was so bright I thought I was looking at snow (or was I?). I was also using a 4-16x56 for 4 hours.

And to everyone else the amusing comments truly are helpful...pain distraction ;)

JonM 02-27-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyhawk (Post 454307)
I'm just curious if any of you have had eye pain after going to the range. Last week I went and everything seemed normal, but the next day I noticed some pain above my left eye. After a week I went to the doctor mainly thinking perhaps sinus congestion was the issue. Turns out that's not the problem and I haven't had any injury so I'm just interested if this has ever happened to you.

what kind of shooting were ya doing?? ive heard of cases where folks have torn corneas from shooting high powered rifles incorrectly recievieng a blow to the eye socket from the scope

JonM 02-27-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyhawk (Post 454521)
pandamonium-That picture does make my eyes hurt. As in my right eye starts to hurt :D

freefall-I do think a strain/muscle ache could be a problem especially since I can hardly see the crosshairs on one of the scopes I was using.

mrm14-That sounds about right, it was so bright I thought I was looking at snow (or was I?). I was also using a 4-16x56 for 4 hours.

And to everyone else the amusing comments truly are helpful...pain distraction ;)

your scope isnt focused correctly if the xhairs are difficult to see. point the firearm skyward rotate the focal ring until the xhairs are in focus and easy to see then lock the ring down.