Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Extra cash...invest or pay off loans?

View Poll Results: Extra cash...invest or pay off loans?
Invest 100% 1 3.57%
Invest 75% + Pay loans 25% 0 0%
Invest 50% + Pay loans 50% 3 10.71%
Invest 25% + Pay loans 75% 3 10.71%
Pay loans 100% 21 75.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

NGIB, I like how you think.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #22

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
NGIB, I like how you think.
My dear spouse has trained me well. She manages the funds and has done so for 34 years...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5466 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
This is hypothetical.

Your credit cards are all paid off, have a car & mortgage loan. If you have extra $1,000 (monthly, after you bought your "toys"), how would you use it?

EDIT IN: Assume interest for both car loan and home mortgage is 5%. Also lump savings and ROTH/IRA with investment for simplicity.
pay your debts. forget about toys until you are 100% debt free.

right now there are no good investments the stock market is hardly better than playing roullette or craps in vegas. thanks to our imbecile in chief, both bushes and clinton along with congress.

only 1 thing holds value thru inflationary times, property.

now is a good time to pay old debts while the dollar is worth poop

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-26-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
only 1 thing holds value thru inflationary times, property.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
now is a good time to pay old debts while the dollar is worth poop
There is another group of thinking that says, invest now (say in property) and lock in the value and rates so when the dollar value dives (prices and possibly interests will rise), you will be way ahead.

Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #25

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My dear spouse has trained me well. She manages the funds and has done so for 34 years...
So in actuality you personally are broke as she has all the moolah.

Land is a great investment, especially when the economy is down. Think back to what Toll Brothers did in the 80's downturn - snatched up as much property as they could and sat on it. Ended up being one of the wealthiest builders in the nation. Buy land now if you can while it's cheap!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #26

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
I agree.

There is another group of thinking that says, invest now (say in property) and lock in the value and rates so when the dollar value dives (prices and possibly interests will rise), you will be way ahead.

Thoughts?
Ahead of what? Property does hold value over the long run but as many have seen the short run can be a real bizzatch...property is not very liquid since someone will need to borrow with deflated dollars at very high rates to buy it from you...that's why a "buyers market" forces prices down. If you are looking for a solid hard asset investment look at precious metals such as gold, silver or platinum. Many of these metals are used in manufacturing around the world and the demand keeps prices up, that also makes them a good hedge against a weak dollar and deflation in general. Plus if the SHTF Gold is always acceptable for trade and Silver bullets are good for zombie werewolves...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jpyle, You are preaching to the crowd brother. I have my share of silver coins but stopped buying a few months ago. I am considering buying some now since silver price went down these past 3 weeks (as expected).

Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #28

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Jpyle, You are preaching to the crowd brother. I have my share of silver coins but stopped buying a few months ago. I am considering buying some now since silver price went down these past 3 weeks (as expected).
Amen to that...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #29

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Your credit cards are all paid off, have a car & mortgage loan. If you have extra $1,000 (monthly, after you bought your "toys"), how would you use it?

EDIT IN: Assume interest for both car loan and home mortgage is 5%. Also lump savings and ROTH/IRA with investment for simplicity.
Pay off the car before it is worthless. Then split the $1000 between an IRA/Personal Retirement Account investment every month and sending $500 toward the principal on the house loan every other month. That gives you $500 to spend on a new gun every other month!!

Silver and Gold are in an overpriced market right now and when that bubble bursts ther are going to be some very sorry people. However if that is your choice, make sure it is physical gold and silver....It can be melted down to make bullets!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 01-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Pay off the car before it is worthless. Then split the $1000 between an IRA/Personal Retirement Account investment every month and sending $500 toward the principal on the house loan every other month. That gives you $500 to spend on a new gun every other month!!

Silver and Gold are in an overpriced market right now and when that bubble bursts ther are going to be some very sorry people. However if that is your choice, make sure it is physical gold and silver....It can be melted down to make bullets!
And teeth.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!