Extra cash...invest or pay off loans? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Extra cash...invest or pay off loans?

View Poll Results: Extra cash...invest or pay off loans?
Invest 100% 1 3.57%
Invest 75% + Pay loans 25% 0 0%
Invest 50% + Pay loans 50% 3 10.71%
Invest 25% + Pay loans 75% 3 10.71%
Pay loans 100% 21 75.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
If that's your thing go for it. Personally I would rather head to a bar, scope out a lonely gal and talk her up, liquor her up and then take her home and fu ... have some fun with her.
Thats too much work and then OMG after 6 or 8 beers. You never know what she is going to look like in the morning.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #12

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Thats too much work and then OMG after 6 or 8 beers. You never know what she is going to look like in the morning.
Who cares what she looks like in the morning ... after 6-8 beers as long as she looks like Victoria Silvstedt it's all good.

images.jpg

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Didn't read all the posts so forgive me if I am being redundant but, aside from hookers, the wise choice is to look at opportunitÿ costs. As a CPA my advice would be to pay off any debt that carries interest higher than what you can earn by investing. Be sure to look at the after-tax cost if you can deduct the interest, e.g. Home mortgage, student loan. After all the debt is gone then invest or spend as you like.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
... the wise choice is to look at opportunitÿ costs. As a CPA my advice would be to pay off any debt that carries interest higher than what you can earn by investing. Be sure to look at the after-tax cost if you can deduct the interest, e.g. Home mortgage, student loan. ...
I agree and I wish it is that simple. However, most investment are a "gamble" and have risks associated with it and the return is unknown.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #15

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Didn't read all the posts so forgive me if I am being redundant but, aside from hookers, the wise choice is to look at opportunitÿ costs. As a CPA my advice would be to pay off any debt that carries interest higher than what you can earn by investing. Be sure to look at the after-tax cost if you can deduct the interest, e.g. Home mortgage, student loan. After all the debt is gone then invest or spend as you like.
Oh sure just come along and ruin all the fun by posting good solid advice. Kill joy!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would invest half of it, and I would put the other half of it towards the principal on my mortgage.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Not owing anything to anybody has increased my KMA factor tremendously.
(for the uninitiated, that's Kiss My Ass)
You SHOULD have some savings- but paying down debt as quickly as you reasonably can gets you more savings.

For anyone in the early years of a mortgage that does not already know this- Say your payment is $1000 a month. At the start of the mortgage, of that $1000, around $980 is interest, and only $20 goes to pay off what you owe (principal). So send them an extra $100 when you have it, marked as principal payment. You just saved yourself 5 mortgage payments. You get the best leverage in the first 6 years of a 30 yr mortgage. If one month you DON'T have a spare $100, don't send it. We paid off a 30 yr mortgage in 9 years like that. At the END of the mortgage, $20 is interest, $980 principal. You want to do this as early as you can.

THEN you can start throwing money in savings. When I bought my last car (used one, in good shape) when the question of financing came up, took out checkbook, said "Simple. I write you a check." No car payment. No balance on credit card. And I have the money to buy toys.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

And I was always embarassed by the whole "sex for money" thing.

But the ladies kept giving me money.................

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And I was always embarassed by the whole "sex for money" thing.

But the ladies kept giving me money.................
LOL...major MOJO right there

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
When I bought my last car (used one, in good shape) when the question of financing came up, took out checkbook, said "Simple. I write you a check." No car payment. No balance on credit card. And I have the money to buy toys.
When I bought my new Ford Ranger in 98, my wife was sitting there with the checkbook just waiting for them to give us the total for the check. The fella looks at us and asks if we'd like to finance any of the purchase and we said no. He said if we financed any of the purchase, we'd get an immediate discount of $1000 on the truck. We financed the minimum which I think was $2500, got a grand knocked off the price, and paid the financed amount with the first payment...