Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Explain or educate me on ASSAULT RIFLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Didn't someone coin the term "homeland defense rifle" a while back on this forum?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #12

I have always called them defense rifles, as I do not consider our troops assailants, I like to think of them as defenders of freedom, and the ar is the civi version of the m16. I am not sure what the elected officials will think of SUR's, but they dont care too much for calling them defense rifles. The SUR has a much better ring to it, Ill have to change my vocab.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

SUR is waaaayyyy too close to SUV. SUV's guzzle gas and tout American extravagance and wealth. While an assault rifle may have killed 4, a SUV drove into a crowd and then over a cliff. Killed 6. Remember the lefties hate guns and carbon emissions.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #14

Today my local gunsmith was upset that I referred to rifles as weapons. I told him that sometimes habits die hard. He called them quality sporting rifles. You don't protect yourself from deer or clay pigeons.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
SUR is waaaayyyy too close to SUV. SUV's guzzle gas and tout American extravagance and wealth. While an assault rifle may have killed 4, a SUV drove into a crowd and then over a cliff. Killed 6. Remember the lefties hate guns and carbon emissions.
HAHA +1

The next thing we'll see is comprehensive legislation to protect us from the dreaded SPORT UTILITIES. We won't know that it includes Tahoes & AR15's (along with a subsidy for electric cars and Handgun Control INC).

I actually like the moniker Sport Utility Rifle, or maybe even Utility Rifle...its sure easier than saying "semi-automatic, detachable-magazine fed rifle" like I've been doing lately as I protest the treaded ASSAULT RIFLE label.

I wonder if the term ASSAULT RIFLE was first used negatively by the media or the politicians?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #16

Media. The politicians are more concerned about cutting back room deals.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

By the original definition, an assault rifle is a relatively short-barreled rifle (usually 14-20 inches), chambered in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39 or 5.56 vs .30-06 or 7.62x54R), select fire (either semi-automatic or full-automatic), and has a detachable magazine.

The original was the STG-44 (or MP44, because Hitler didn't want the rifle, he wanted more submachine guns) chambered in 7.7 Kurz. The Germans developed it after they saw a need for a quick-firing rifle that was easily controllable in full-auto, but had more range than a submachine gun.

Unless the rifle meets all of those criteria, it is not an assault rifle.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Didn't someone coin the term "homeland defense rifle" a while back on this forum?
That was me as well.

We need to change our ways. The way we name rifles and or call out selves gun nuts ect........ We need to change it.

Get this months Blue Press and read an article in it. It is a very good read. It makes good points.

HDR or SUR I think are both good names for military style rifles. We scare these people because we are different than them. We need to conform so they are not so scared. Now I don't mean that we all need to support abortion or gay marriage and that. We just need to make them feel better.

Because when you get a SUR with a folding stock it can be a XSUR a cross over sport utility rifle. See where I am going with this. Just like calling a gun with a heavy barrel and larger scope a Sniper rifle. When it is a bench rifle. You could always call it a duel sport rifle. Because it can be used for hunting and or precision rifle.

XSUR= gun with folding stock.
SUR = military style rifle.
DSR = large scope heavy barrel polymer stock.
CSUR (Cowboy SUR) = lever action rifle.

I just don't think we need to be calling them assault weapons or assault rifles. We need to start talking like the enemy and subverting them with language.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

7.62x54r is an intermediate cartridge?

Perhaps acceptable calibers will be up next on the chopping block.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
7.62x54r is an intermediate cartridge?

Perhaps acceptable calibers will be up next on the chopping block.
No, 7.62x54R is a full-power cartridge, like the .30-06