Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Explain or educate me on ASSAULT RIFLE (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/explain-educate-me-assault-rifle-10340/)

bobbyb13 01-27-2009 02:19 PM

Explain or educate me on ASSAULT RIFLE

What is a ASSAULT RIFLE. If I shoot you with a BB gun, or a bolt action 30-06or a lever action 30-30, or a Browning Hi-Power, or a AR15, you are assaulted, mad, or dead. Is it just because they are on a Military platform that makes the media jump on the ASSAULT word? If I bust you up side the head with a stick, is it an assault stick? As I stated before, It is the fool not the tool. But, I'm beating a dead horse again. Forgive me. Just old an cussed.

Benning Boy 01-27-2009 02:45 PM

The Brown Bess musket, once used by the military, is an assault rifle.

The SKS, however, is questionable, if in it's non-detachable magazine configuration, despite integral bayonet and grenade launcher.

The 1911 pistol tends to escape too much scrutiny, although it was state of the art military.

A pink AK-47 clone, while neither evil nor black, is worse than a standard AK, as is an Airsoft AK, because it confuses the authorities.

The Mosin Nagant M-44, despite a hellaciously more powerful round, and a bayonet as standard equipment, and the fact that none can be had that weren't involved in a military assault, is not an assault weapon.

I guess to answer your question- beats the hell out of me.:rolleyes:

bkt 01-27-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyb13 (Post 65827)
What is a ASSAULT RIFLE. If I shoot you with a BB gun, or a bolt action 30-06or a lever action 30-30, or a Browning Hi-Power, or a AR15, you are assaulted, mad, or dead. Is it just because they are on a Military platform that makes the media jump on the ASSAULT word? If I bust you up side the head with a stick, is it an assault stick? As I stated before, It is the fool not the tool. But, I'm beating a dead horse again. Forgive me. Just old an cussed.

Is it scary? Is it black? Or does it look like it might be a military rifle? Then it's an "assault weapon".

Seriously, there is no logical, rational definition of such a thing; it's all about what the leftist panty-wetters feel.

Dillinger 01-27-2009 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Assault: as⋅sault: a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.

Weapon: weap⋅on: any instrument, device, or tool for use in attack

I give you three common assault weapons ( or tools as the case may be )

cpttango30 01-27-2009 06:30 PM

But we the shooters keep the name going. We keep calling ar's sks and ak's assault weapons.

Why not just call them rifles?

My rifle is an ak-47 in 7.62x39mm.

My assault weapon is an ar-15 in 450 bushmaster.

Just like ebr or evil black rifle.

Why not call them what they really are SUR's Sport utility Rifles. Because like an SUV they too can be used for different roles.

From this day forth i forbid the use of Assault Weapon or assault rifle on this board. From now on we shall call them SUR's or sir's yep dillinger is going to build me a sir or SUR in 5.56 or 260rem. See how nice and polite that sounds.

Like SUV they should be called assault cars. Why because most drives of them can barley ride a dam bike let alone pilot a 10,000# car at 85mph.

Dillinger 01-27-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 65891)

Why not call them what they really are SUR's Sport utility Rifles. Because like an SUV they too can be used for different roles.

From this day forth i forbid the use of Assault Weapon or assault rifle on this board. From now on we shall call them SUR's or sir's yep dillinger is going to build me a sir or SUR in 5.56 or 260rem. See how nice and polite that sounds.

I like it - and he has a point.

SUR For The Win!!

I'll get back to you on the price of that SUR in .260 Remmy though Tango. :p

JD

bobbyb13 01-27-2009 07:42 PM

SUR it is

Sport Utility Rifle, has a good ring to it. I'll use it.

canebrake 01-27-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 65891)

So my rifle is now a SUR-47?:p

johnsteele 01-27-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyb13 (Post 65827)

Whatever some thimblewit CongressCritter who doesn't know their ____ from a muzzle says it is.

Musket 01-27-2009 09:54 PM

oooooohhhhhhhhhhnoooooooooooooo......

I like this idea. And its a perfect thing to throw at anti legislators this session. When you mention your SUV, I am sure someone will pipe up and ask "just what is a sport utility rifle?" and you can retort--when you tell me what an assault weapon is, I'll tell you what a sport utility rfile is. :D:eek:

Yes--GO FORTH AND DECLARE FROM THIS DAY FORWARD THAT THE ASSAULT WEPAONS ARE FREE. THEY ARE NOW SPORT UTILITY RIFLES...

And there was joy throughout the gun ranges.......:cool:

HAHHAH.