Experience shooting with physically handicapped children

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Experience shooting with physically handicapped children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Experience shooting with physically handicapped children

Hey all I was looking for some advice on shooting with handicapped children. I have a little girl on the way( first one). The dr told my wife and I she will not have a right hand and I was wondering if anyone has been through what I will be going through with teaching her how to shoot a weapon I know it it still early to be thinking about this but I am one who likes to be prepared and would like some advice if anyone has any

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Shouldn't be too hard to deal with as far as shooting goes.
It's a safe bet She will be a left handed shooter. By the time guns come into play She will be well adjusted to getting by with one hand.
You may want to pick up a good shooting rest for her before rifles come into play.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I totally skipped the "With" and read it as "Shooting physically handicapped children". I need more sleep.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon89
Hey all I was looking for some advice on shooting with handicapped children. I have a little girl on the way( first one). The dr told my wife and I she will not have a right hand and I was wondering if anyone has been through what I will be going through with teaching her how to shoot a weapon I know it it still early to be thinking about this but I am one who likes to be prepared and would like some advice if anyone has any
Congratulations on your first little girl! Having a child (right now I have a daughter, with a son on the way), is the best thing about my life. I honest to God wouldn't change it for anything.

Regarding her hand, I'd like to give my condolences. As a parent, a birth deformity is something that terrifies me almost more than anything. We were lucky with our daughter. It's too early to tell for the boy. However, of course she will still be a terrific girl and a wonderful child. It might be hard on you guys, but she will of course overcome her disability very early on.

I wouldn't worry too much about shooting. It'll come, in time. I haven't had to deal with anything like that, but I don't see it as a huge hindrance in shooting. Like the previous poster said, you can get shooting rests for rifles, and people have been shooting handguns one-handed since the dawn of firearms! You know, I'm willing t bet when she's a little older (6+ I would think) she can even learn to shoot a rifle without a shooting rest. I've seen it done somewhere. It would be awkward, but not impossible.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I would start looking at prosthetic companies , they can help you out more than most of us here . I have a friend thats 35 or 36 years old he lost his right arm from the elbow down to a IED explosion that got their Humvee . I haven't seen him in a few years but I do have him on my FB acct . Im sure he still shoots I will ask him what he does and explain the situation . Hope I can help

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

She will be the joy if our life she already is and we still have 3 months to go. I have done research and people say most of the time when they are born with a limb missing they don't even miss it. And that they find there own way to do everything. And as far as her being left handed it won't be hard for me to show her how to do things left handed sense I'm a lefty myself. And I know she will be able to at least use a pistol when she gets old enough. And the drs say it will just be her hand. So hopefully she will be able to use her right arm for support with a rifle.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7138 Times on 4296 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon89 View Post
She will be the joy if our life she already is and we still have 3 months to go. I have done research and people say most of the time when they are born with a limb missing they don't even miss it. And that they find there own way to do everything. And as far as her being left handed it won't be hard for me to show her how to do things left handed sense I'm a lefty myself. And I know she will be able to at least use a pistol when she gets old enough. And the drs say it will just be her hand. So hopefully she will be able to use her right arm for support with a rifle.
She'll do just fine in life. She won't miss what she never had. Congratulations on your upcoming baby girl. She will be the light of your life. And you're right. She will be able to hold a rifle up with her arm. And very likely support a pistol with the end of her arm, too. I'm betting some day she'll out shoot you.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Congratulations, I have two daughters myself. I really love them and my son. She will do just fine shooting pistols one handed. She will need a support stick if she will hunt later on. Humanity has survived due to their ability to adapt. She will adapt and strive. You might be surprised how strong her handed arm becomes to compensate for the missing hand. Once again, congratulations dad!