Execution of General Anton Dostler (US Military Film Footage)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Execution of General Anton Dostler (US Military Film Footage)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Execution of General Anton Dostler (US Military Film Footage)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Dostler
Quote:
On March 22, 1944, fifteen men of the U.S. Army (including two officers) landed on the Italian coast about 100 kilometres north of La Spezia, 250 miles behind the then established front. Their mission was to demolish a railroad tunnel between La Spezia and Genoa. Two days later, the group was captured by a party of Italian Fascista soldiers and members of the German Wehrmarcht. ...

The captured U.S. soldiers were interrogated and one of the U.S. officers revealed the story of the mission. This information was then sent to Dostler at the 75th German Army Corps. The following day (March 25), Dostler sent a telegram to the 135th Fortress Brigade ordering that the captured soldiers be executed. ... the fifteen Americans were executed on the morning of March 26, 1944. Alexander zu Dohna-Schlobitten, who refused to sign the execution order, was dismissed from Wehrmacht for insubordination.

Last edited by JonM; 01-25-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: not the appropriate place for execution films (even justly deserved ones)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #2

...whats-i mean i dont understand. what makes this any different or special. other than the one officer being broken?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Dostler ordered the execution of legal POWs

Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

...they execute millions of jews for being jews, but its wrong they executed "legal" POW's. im just looking for the lesson to take away from this, i feel like im missing a part.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

I was more interested in the procedure of executing someone by firing squad. We've seen this on television dozens of time but this was the real deal.
Keep in mind that hundreds of Nazi's were prosecuted, imprisoned and or executed after the war for their involvement in killing Jews and other war crimes. There is a partial list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Trials

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl4570 View Post
I was more interested in the procedure of executing someone by firing squad. We've seen this on television dozens of time but this was the real deal.[/url]
heheh ever see faces of death? that'll get a firm grip on reality for ya.

heres my problem with the story-

Quote:
The captured U.S. soldiers were interrogated and one of the U.S. officers revealed the story of the mission
correct me if im wrong but, thats incredibly bad, right?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Liked 2556 Times on 1149 Posts
Likes Given: 2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum View Post
...they execute millions of jews for being jews, but its wrong they executed "legal" POW's. im just looking for the lesson to take away from this, i feel like im missing a part.

They executed the officers for doing that to the Jews too. Executing civilians and POW's is a war crime punishable by death. That's the difference. It saddens me that you don't understand the difference.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

This has a list of the sentences handed down at Nuremberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremburg_trials

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
They executed the officers for doing that to the Jews too. Executing civilians and POW's is a war crime punishable by death. That's the difference. It saddens me that you don't understand the difference.
i must be typing something other than english cause this is the second time today, apparently im not coming off with the right tone or wording but it never fails that i get a pompous ass answer like-

Quote:
It saddens me that you don't understand the difference.
thank you fountain of all knowledge, even though the UCMJ has been beaten into me for 13 weeks im so glad you could come along and show me the light. here i was thinking killing the innocent was completely legal.

now lets try this, one more time. i understand the gravity of the situation but i fail to see why THIS case is so special. i feel that OP has a point, im just making sure that there wasnt more to the story or this case is tied into something from WWII that was important. in short i was saying MORE INFO without being a troll and just putting up a post that says MORE INFO. (other than wiki)But props to OP for providing a good clip of a Nazi getting what he deserved, that never gets old.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

You are reading too much into the post. My post wasn't about who or why this person was executed, it was a clip that documented an execution by firing squad. The inclusion of additional information was to provide background, not to make a point.

I am unsubscribing from this thread and will not post to it again.