Ex Smokers? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Ex Smokers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2501 Times on 1516 Posts
Likes Given: 13758

I started smoking at 17, and quit at age 24. Cold turkey. What I did was to empty all of my ashtrays into a 5 pound coffee can a month before quitting, and every time I wanted one I took a whiff. Kept me off them for 2 years, and I kept my promise to my ex-wife.

When I found out she was fooling around on me (came home and caught them in bed), I left the house to keep them safe, and went to the bar. About 3 drinks in on a night I don't fully remember a friend passed me his pack, and it was over.

At this point of my life, I am using moist snuff, and cutting it with Bacc Off all mint "snuff" in a 3 to 1 mint to tobacco ratio which I just upper from 2 to 1. I plan to quit within the next year. Not going to be easy, and I know that I will be one miserable SOB to deal with, but I WILL do it.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #22

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

When you want to quit more than you want to smoke you will stop.

It is damn hard. Use any resource that works for you. Try them all if you have to. Nicorete worked for me.

You will feel damn good about yourself when you do it. But be warned, you may never get entirely over it, and you will have to fight the urge for a long time; hang tough. I have quit for ten years and every once in a while, at a tense time, I will hit my shirt pocket for one.

Good luck!

Carl Sagan
gr8oldguy Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #23

Well, I know just what your going through. I quit 3 months ago. I love to smoke. Besides the health issues, I was thinking of the money I was spending on my smokes. I decided I would try to quit again. This time I tried a new approach. I bought myself a new crossbreed belt, and decided I would pay for it with my money that I would spend on smokes. It was not easy, but it worked. I since have a new super tuck holster paid for the same way. Its a nice reward to myself every time I look at them. I wont say I will never smoke again, but for now I dont mind too much being smoke free. And yes I do miss it at times. I just dont like spending 6.00 to 7.00 dollars a pack and end up with nothing to show for it. If I can do it anyone can. Just my thoughts. Good luck to you.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #24

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Default Only if PM'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Maybe it would be helpful to post it here for all to see.
I will share it with those that really want to quit. Please feel free to PM me if you really want to quit! This is not some money making scheme, I am glad to help out for free!!

Old 11-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #25
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1423 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I quit when they hit $1.50 a pack. One thing that helped me is I bought a new to me truck about a week later and decided I would not smoke in it. It was a coincidence, but it did help not already having the smoke smell in my truck.

I was one of those guys who hit the starter then the cigarette lighter in one motion. Keep some healthy snacks around, I didn't do this and when smart-ass ex-smokers (almost all of them are) asked "don't you feel so much better since you quit smoking?" My answer was "hell no I gained 25 pounds, I didn't get this out of breath going up steps when I smoked". I have lost that 25 pounds 6 or 8 times in the last 20 years.

It is tough but simple, you just don't smoke. That is it, no secret, you just don't smoke. Some days will be worse than others, stressful days will be harder, try to find a different way to midigate the stress.

Also make sure you spouse is on board, because there will be days when she will want to buy you a carton and a lighter, or a hotel room in another state.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #26

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

I started smoking at 15. When I met the woman of my dreams I was 28. She did not smoke. I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day. I was almost lighting one off the other. When we dated I would not smoke around her. She didn't like it. She never saw me smoke. Not even once. I used to smoke a bunch at my house before I wnet to see her. I would quit a few hours before going to her house. I would actually shampoo my mustach so she couldn't smell it. One night I spent the night on her couch. I started staying at here place after that. I always slept on the couch. That was when I quit. It has been 18 years since I had a ciggarette. I don't miss tham at all. Every now and then I have a dream that I am still a smoker. But then I wake up and realize it was a nightmare. Not joking. That is really what ti would be for me start again...a nightmare.

Anyone that smokes or is thinking about starting should think about this. The doctor found a growth in my thyroid when I had an MRI. They did a biopsy. It took something like 35 or 40 stabs into my throat with a needle to finally get a sample. It took a week for me to get the results. It was not cancer. That was the longest, most horrible week of my life. I wish I had never smoked. I hope no one here has to go through that.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
stratrider Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #27

Liked 385 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I quit cold turkey after a trip to the ER during the middle of a work day for dizziness. When they took my blood pressure it was 195/115 and all the nurse said we we need a room now! That was enough to straighten me out and scare the urge. Do I miss them, sure - will I ever smoke again NEVER!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3383 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Cigs I quit over 30 years ago. My Issue was Pipes and Cigars! Finally gave it up for good a few months before we were married. woke up in the middle of the night having a resp. attack.. Ditched all my stuff and sent the cigars to a friend....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Keep up the fight. You will appreciate the struggle later in life. Your family will also be very grateful too.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

My wife was a smoker.

She said the 7's were the hardest, 7 hours, 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months.

Green vegetables apparently help scrub nicotine out of the body, the less cooked (preferably raw) the better.