Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ex Smokers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Administrator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I do fine the first month or two, but then it's on.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1276 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Champix. Had some technicolor dreams and was a bit snappy a few times but nothing I could not handle. It's been several months now.

Smoked for 30+ yrs. I had previously tried to quit using every aid except VooDoo; some more than once. I was beginning to wonder if I might need to have my throat surgically cut to prevent the smoke from going in.

One of the worst times for me was right at month 4.....when I realize I'm cured.

Never quit quitting. One time, it'll come together and you'll get able to gut it out.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #13

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I quit smoking just over 2 years ago and did it cold turkey. Haven't had a cigarette since I put the last one down. I started smoking when I was about 30 Y.O. during first divorce. Stupid I know but that is when I started. I am 58 Y.O. now.

I had made up my mind on my own that "I was done". Probably took several months to get to this point as I remember.

I quit going to the bar for about 2 weeks before I quit then I didn't go there for about 3 months after I quit. Didn't drink at home either including anything with caffeine or sugar.

I increased water intake and drank a lot of vegetable juiced like V8. I was, also at this time, taking these VitaPacks from GNC for 50+ Y.O. men for just general health reasons, but, I think the B complex vitamins in this pack helped a lot with the crappy feelings from nicotine withdrawal.

Keeping mentally and physically busy was a help to me as well IMO.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #14

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I started at 13, smoked 6 months then quit mainly because I had better things to use the money for. Like cheeseburgers and 45 records! Smartest and luckiest choice I made in my teenage years! I won't lie, peer pressure and craving almost got me but I lucked out.

No doubt smoking is as hard to kick as heroin but either one is a killer so you have to save yourself while you can. No matter how hard it is.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #15

Liked 1441 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 2393

I started smoking when I was around 12 (stupid, stupid, stupid). I quit for the second time almost exactly one year ago. I used the step down patch method, starting out with the 21mg patch and after a few weeks of that, going to 14mg and finally 7mg, chose a date to not put on a patch and never looked back. I went to the doctor a year ago for a checkup and he didn't like what he heard on the stethoscope. He sent me for x-rays and said he'd found some "spots". I was scared to death. He wanted to do a C-scan and scheduled me for the following week. That was the longest week of my life. I quit smoking that week and got on the patch. I took the test and the doc told me I had a mild form of emphysema. He checked me recently and told me that I'd improved considerably in the one year. Don't kid yourself, it's not a "bad habit". It's a deadly, highly addictive drug. I can now enjoy so many things without that monkey on my back. I can sit through an entire movie, actually taste my food, I've got my wind back which shows in places that really count (so says wifey)

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I smoked cigs for about three decades. I never not liked smoking but understand the issues. I went to using a vaporizer a few months ago and have been stepping down the nicotine and am about to zero now. I didn't like the E-Cig that attempt to look like a cigarette. I went to using a vaporizer pen. I can choose what I put in it and even mix my own if I choose to.

I have to admit I do miss the cigarettes but I'll also admit I feel better without the cigs too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Liked 474 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 2125

Sept. 1960,
was on a ship returning from Germany.
Lit up a cigarette,
took a puff,
filled my mouth, my throat, my lungs with that hot dry stinking smoke,
gagged, Thought "wtf".
Threw the cigarette and the pack over the side.
Smoked one more, a menthol, sometime in the 70s,
at work had a sore throat, boss gave me a Kool.
Sometime in the 80s started smoking a pipe and cigars.
One day my Doctor told me I had a choice,
"smoke or breathe"
Oh my.
Giving up the cigarette was easy,
Giving up the cigar was hard.
But I prefer breathing.
People Like This 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Supporting Member

Liked 1382 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I smoked Lucky Strikes for around 20 years and switched to a pipe for another 20. Two years ago I had back surgery (Lumbar Fusion). The doctor told me if I quit smoking I would heal faster and better. I was in so much pain at the time that sounded like a no brainer to me. I threw away my pipes, gave away my supplies and just quit. I don't think about it much any more. If I do I eat a Baby Ruth.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Proud to be an American

Liked 555 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 287

I worked in construction and built houses most of my life, I worked outside and could light up whenever I wanted to and was a two pack a day smoker for twenty plus years.
One morning I woke up and immediately lit one up as was my usual routine followed by my coughing and hacking also part of the routine. So I say to my loving wife " I think I'm going to give up smoking"
She laughed instantly and said "Ha that will be the day!" it so pissed me off that I picked up the pack crushed it and threw it in the garbage and said "never again" that was back in 1981. So far so good.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #20

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts

I have a special needs daughter. I gotta stay alive as long as I can to take care of her. That's what did it for me.

As far as cravings, driving was the biggest trigger for me. I would munch on a big carrot like bugs bunny the whole ride home ( about an hour)
The cravings go away, and now I can't stand cigarettes.
Good luck.