Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Ex Smokers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ex-smokers-100088/)

Shooter 11-08-2013 01:47 PM

Ex Smokers?

Any ex smokers on here? I gave up on nicotine replacement therapy and the Doc put me on Wellbutrin to help out.

I've smoked for over a decade and quit at least once a year, but always find the craving to be too much and I go back.

I love smoking, but it's expensive and it's bad. My daughter has also been mimicking it and I don't want that either.

How did you guys quit?

mountainman13 11-08-2013 01:49 PM

I quit using the lozenges.
Lasted about a month and almost jumped over a car salesmans desk to choke the life out of him. Smoking may be bad for my health but No smoking may be bad for the health of others.

phideaux 11-08-2013 02:00 PM

After my second heart attack in 1997, the surgeon showed me the difference in the inside wall of arteries , of smoker compared to non smoker.
That did it for me. Threw them away , quit.
Trying to quit aint the same as quitting.

Hard? incredibly hard, but after a few days ,then a few weeks.... of pure hell, I knew I never wanted to go thru that again.
havent touched one since.
Ex smokers are worse than never smokers.:D

I can smell one on the interstate at 75 mph with windows up, from a car in front of me.:D

Do it man. live longer for the kids.

Jim

eatmydust 11-08-2013 02:04 PM

I started smoking for fun & cool factor when I was 15 y.o. in 1974. I smoked on avg. 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for 29 years. I had always told myself I would never smoke for 30 years, and I didn't. I wish I had told myself that I wouldn't smoke for 1X years.

I quit because I decided I was D.U.N. with smoking, not for anyone else but me! I quit using a combination of the nicotine patch and the imagery I am going to PM you with.

I still get a craving 3 maybe 4 times a year, after 9 years as a non-smoker, but my PM will explain how I deal with them real easy!

winds-of-change 11-08-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1426274)
I started smoking for fun & cool factor when I was 15 y.o. in 1974. I smoked on avg. 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for 29 years. I had always told myself I would never smoke for 30 years, and I didn't. I wish I had told myself that I wouldn't smoke for 1X years.

I quit because I decided I was D.U.N. with smoking, not for anyone else but me! I quit using a combination of the nicotine patch and the imagery I am going to PM you with.

I still get a craving 3 maybe 4 times a year, after 9 years as a non-smoker, but my PM will explain how I deal with them real easy!

Maybe it would be helpful to post it here for all to see.

303tom 11-08-2013 02:17 PM

I will be 58 years old, smoked since I was 15, four years ago I just QUIT & have not had a cigarette since. No pills, no gum, no patches, no nothing. You can quit if you want to, you just got to do it & don`t look back. It`s hard for about two weeks, but after that it gets easier. That is all the HELP I can offer, Good Luck to ya.....................

Fathead00 11-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin
Any ex smokers on here? I gave up on nicotine replacement therapy and the Doc put me on Wellbutrin to help out. I've smoked for over a decade and quit at least once a year, but always find the craving to be too much and I go back. I love smoking, but it's expensive and it's bad. My daughter has also been mimicking it and I don't want that either. How did you guys quit?

I haven't smoked now for a little over 5 years now. I started around when I was 15 and smoked for about 20 years. It's not easy, but if you have some to quit for like your daughter it does make it a little easier. I did try the prescriptions from my doctor, but didn't help. So, I quit cold turkey. ZG my wife already quit the year before cold turkey too. You have to force yourself to quit. I still get cravings for them, but picked one up.

Overkill0084 11-08-2013 03:12 PM

Chantix.
It made me a grumpy, temperamental bastard for a while, but was worth it. For me, it was damned near magic. 8 days in, I had simply lost all desire to smoke...haven't smoked since. Better still, there really hasn't been the urge.

smithwa3 11-08-2013 03:23 PM

After 25 years and 6 failed attempts at different methods of quitting; I picked a date. For 1 week prior to that date, I smoked too much, making myself sick. On the date I picked, I went on the patch, (my body was thankful to not have smoke anymore.)
Then I took vacation and put in a fence, judt to have something to do so I wouldn't get cravings. That and I was procrastinating cheating on the patch.

gr8oldguy 11-08-2013 03:26 PM

I quit cold turkey 7 years ago. I didn't use any patches, pills or gum. I smoked the last cigarette in the pack I had and never picked them up again. That was after 30+ years of smoking and untold failed attempts. The bottom line is it was the hardest thing I ever did. It took a good 18 months for the physical dependencies to stop and probably another year for the emotional aspects to stop. It is a horrible addiction to kick. I wish you nothing but success.