Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The evil that is .338 Lapua (and other "sniper" calibres)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default The evil that is .338 Lapua (and other "sniper" calibres)

SA Police Looking To Restrict PTA Approvals for “Large Calibres”

The SA Police Firearms Registry are looking to ensure that owners or applicants wanting to get these “Large Calibres” have a genuine reason to own that type of specific cartridge.

The list of cartridges that are being closely looked at are:

50 BMG
460 Steyr
408 Cheytac
375 Cheytac
416 Barrett
338 Lapua Magnum

Whilst these cartridges aren’t banned the Officer in Charge of the Firearms Branch SA Chief Inspector Langmead told the SSAA that now anyone wanting to keep one or apply for a Permit to Acquire would have to justify it proving that they have a “Genuine need/Reason” for owning firearms of those calibres.It seems that only the cartridges above are under fire and its not calibre specific but rather the “scary” cartridges you see above.

Once again this decision is based on paranoia and hyperbole rather than any solid evidence. Whilst this has always been the right of the Firearms Branch in SA to do this it seems odd that they would make this decision when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that these cartridges in the hands of law abiding citizens are any more dangerous than a 22lr.

It has been rumoured that the so called “Technical Expert” advising The SA Police is a member of the SSAA, is on a personal crusade to put a stop to these military cartridges and is apart of the SSAA hunting and conservation group. It is also rumoured that said “technical expert” owns a 338 Winchester. It is a bit scary when we have people in our own ranks trying to restrict law abiding citizens from own certain cartridges whilst they feel it is perfectly acceptable to own something close to the 338 Lap Mag.

Does this really surprise anyone? Considering the SA Governments attempts at keeping this country behind the times with other controversial rulings such as not agreeing to an R Rating on video games and making it illegal to comment on the election online unless you put your full name along with your comment. It’s hardly democratic and makes me glad I’m not in SA.

NSW is somewhat protected from these sorts of silly decisions at the moment due to the fact that you only elect a firearms category as opposed to a cartridge when applying for a PTA. This may change though as I think that SA is probably the first in a long line of states to try and implement such silly rules.

SA Police Looking To Restrict PTA Approvals for “Large Calibres” | Hunting Australia | The Hunt and Shoot Network - for hunting news, videos and equipment.

All they have to do is make noises about "sniper rounds" and that's what it takes for hysteria levels to rise exponentially...OMG! civilians with "sniper" weapons! Someone think of the children! etc etc

In SA, those who were lawfully in possession of larger calibre firearms were suddenly informed that these were no longer "legal" and these were summarily seized. Without compensation (and you might imagine how much some of these could have been worth)

Good posting from shooting.com.au:

Quote:
SA Firearms Section cancelled the registration of the firearms, thereby making the possession of those firearms an offence under the Firearms Act, irespetive of the fact that the owner was given permission by the Firearms Section prior to acquiring the firearms, in the 1st place.

Once the firearm becomes the subject of an offence, it can be seized under the Firearms Act WITHOUT compensation and Section 51 of the Australian Constitution wouldn't be applicable.

The SA Police Firearms Section had always been 'creative' when it comes to the interpretation and use of the Firearms Act, to keep the public safe.

Who said, that registering firearms doesn't work?

PS very generous to allow the owner to sell the firearms after making sure no one in SA at least, will be allowed to buy them.
Banning Of Certain Chamberings In Aus - Shooting.com.au

and Shooters Party forum

Quote:
I maintain that freedom is not determined by need.

Whats happening with the slow and steady banning of certain caliber rifles, even ranges are having there conditions changed (down graded).

Roy Smith was such a great man, i was speaking with him up till the end June (he even gave me his mobile number) about how range restrictions are effecting legal shooters and how the slow implementation of restricting certain calibers seems to be a gradual move to banning firearms. I own a 338 Lapua, I am a member of the SSAA, i have completed my Hunting licence course (R-Licence) and have been an active shooter for nearly 2 decades.

As legal firearm owners we have to jump through various hoops to obtain our licences and maintain them. Why is it then once you have obtained your licence you are then restricted by category or even caliber. As my title states "Freedom is not determined by need".

Legal law abiding shooters don't go through the whole process of obtaining a licence just to commit a crime. The criminals don't follow safe storage guidelines, attend regular shooting events or follow class/category rules.

Its a sad gloomy future ahead for all legal shooters, the TV hype and hysteria, and the public perception has been tainted by criminals, for this we are paying the price.
I maintain that freedom is not determined by need.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Bump>Looks like this 'disease' is covertly creeping into my State now...

From the NSW Shooters Party forum:

Quote:
Re: how legal is it?

Hay all, I though you may be interested in this. I just had a safe inspection at my house (no big deal there) but the officer doing the inspection advised me he needs to do a report for the FAR about my high powered rifle (338 Lapua). I was advised that what i tell him WILL be forwarded to the FAR for review??????

Anyway i had to answer a heap of questions like where do i take my 338LM to shoot ( I actually had to give names and proof of property I shoot on, glad i have an R licence there), what do i shoot, why the 338LM and not a smaller caliber. Seemed very weird to me. By the way i live in NSW (not SA or WA where the ban has already gone through), It is very concerning why this report needed to be done, it seems that the FAR is planning something here and is compiling evidence.

how legal is it?

Maybe they're looking to ban .338 nationwide? It seems to be going in that direction

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great, just freakin great... The stupidity, it's spreading like a disease!!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

EDIT: You know what, I have thought better about that information being in the open....

That sucks guys. Do you have elections that can get some people in power that think clearly about these issues? Or what is the recourse?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
EDIT: You know what, I have thought better about that information being in the open....

That sucks guys. Do you have elections that can get some people in power that think clearly about these issues? Or what is the recourse?
We have elections early next year, but I'm not sure if things will improve or not..

PM inbound.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Guys, I'm sorry your country is sucking the liberal teet. The USA isn't far behind....which scares me. Those of us who can fight are. Hang in there. You are always welcome here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
We have elections early next year, but I'm not sure if things will improve or not..

And guess what I read in the paper yesterday? The creaking, rotten edifice that is our Labor State Govt has now decided to hang the Shooters Party out to dry, and renege on an agreement to put a freeze on marine parks - you know, the greenies plan to stop people fishing those poor lil 'sea kittens'?

Labor might get shot down in flames in March's election as they so richly deserve, but as Roy Smith always said, you can't hope the Conservatives will be much better - they've moved a long way from their National-Coalition rural roots these days...and once the election is over are most likely to shaft us well & good in any case.

Refusal to limit marine parks final straw for Shooters

Quote:
The Shooters were smarting from the decision by the former premier Nathan Rees' not to allow ''conservation hunting'' in about 60 national parks. But behind the split is a more fundamental shift within Labor.

MPs have been urging the Premier, Kristina Keneally, to consider more Green-friendly policies before the election and to stop courting of conservative minor parties. They argue it is essential for the long-term future of the party and for its shorter term prospects in terms of winning Green preferences. It is also likely the Greens will hold the balance of power in the upper house.

Quote:
The chief executive of the Nature Conservation Council, Pepe Clarke, said it was time for NSW Labor to stop pandering to the lunatic fringe and start focusing on the concerns of its own constituency and the broader public

Keneally's refusal to limit marine parks final straw for Shooters

So, Greens with the balance of power both Federally & State? Bloody wonderful!

And they call us the "lunatic fringe" lol

Quote:

Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
And guess what I read in the paper yesterday? The creaking, rotten edifice that is our Labor State Govt has now decided to hang the Shooters Party out to dry, and renege on an agreement to put a freeze on marine parks - you know, the greenies plan to stop people fishing those poor lil 'sea kittens'?

Labor might get shot down in flames in March's election as they so richly deserve, but as Roy Smith always said, you can't hope the Conservatives will be much better - they've moved a long way from their National-Coalition rural roots these days...and once the election is over are most likely to shaft us well & good in any case.

Refusal to limit marine parks final straw for Shooters

Keneally's refusal to limit marine parks final straw for Shooters

So, Greens with the balance of power both Federally & State? Bloody wonderful!

And they call us the "lunatic fringe" lol
I read that this morning when I was trying to find some info for JD.. Far out things make me mad lately!!

I seached the Lib's state website and couldn't find a thing that alluded to any affiliation to the Shooter's Party, but hopefully the LNP will decide they need our help to gain the majority and soften some of their policies. To be honest I'm not expecting much though....

Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
I read that this morning when I was trying to find some info for JD.. Far out things make me mad lately!!

I seached the Lib's state website and couldn't find a thing that alluded to any affiliation to the Shooter's Party, but hopefully the LNP will decide they need our help to gain the majority and soften some of their policies. To be honest I'm not expecting much though....

You & me both, it's not hard to get riled up before breakfast these days, is it?

Funny you should mention the Libs site - there was a very lively and extended discussion which was being conducted on their "Our Ideas" page, including quite a few Shooters Party forum members on the common sense of law-abiding citizens and concealed carry. The vast majority of respondents arguing in the positive, the forum rules state that over a certain no. of posts supposedly guarantees a response from the Libs (the people's democracy-in-action type crap). Well you guessed it - that number was way surpassed but get this! they had an "administrative glitch" which meant that no replies could be forthcoming!

All I could dredge up was this brief grab from another site. Gives you an idea of the numbers though:

Quote:
HERE'S AN IDEA
Carry Concealed Weapons Permits

Despite governments putting more and more police on the street in the CBD of melbourne and getting "tough" on crime, violence is still on the rise. Being under Common Law, Australians' rights are spelled out in the Magna Carta. One of the rights in the Magna Carta is self defense. In the U.S., carry concealed weapons permits have been successful in deterring criminal behaviour, and reducing crimes since potential victims are now able to defend themselves. Criminals think twice. The Liberals party should look at allowing law-abiding adults, with no criminal records the ability to carry concealed weapons in an effort to deter criminal behaviour.

LIKE IDEA +2421

DISLIKE IDEA -173
Click on the Lib link sourced from the Shooters' archive...and it just loads forever (and I don't think its my rubbish connection speed either lol)

Our ideas - Liberal Party of Australia

&

Our ideas - Liberal Party of Australia

SFP thread archive

Two Firearms related topics

So, the election's over...whole convo killed off. I haven't much hope from these bastards either, truthfully

Quote:

Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #10

Yeah it's not your internet, she's been shut down lol.. Now I just really don't know who the SFP is going to side with; either way it's only the lesser of two evils..

The only problem is figuring out who's less evil!!