Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is Everything......Made in China??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I look for quality, craftsmanship, strength and reliability in everything I purchase. From cars to guns to tools, and to the line trimmer I use on the yard.

I don't care where it is made and I don't care that I bought it in Walmart, just as long as it stands up, is reliable and has a warranty.

I concur that Unions had their day back when and fought for competitive wages and protected the worker, they had a purpose then and I was proud to buy anything made in the U.S. if it was quality, and you can find it anymore, but today, their wage demands, the greed and play for power, not to mention the internal corruptness that always seems to be present in ranking board members and officers, have driven most Unions and their quality of workmanship down in the market place and to where they are today....outsourced.

Jack
I am with Jack on this one, and I gave you a Thumbs Up for your excellent post brother

Shopping for Made in the USA and spending hard earned coin for an inferior product that was assembled by Cleetus at his $38.75/hr assembly job just to make a point doesn't do me any favors and promotes an environment that isn't working.

The older dogs around here, and we know who we are, were around when history was taught correctly and Unions were talked about in the "why" and "when".

At the time, they were needed and needed badly. Now a days Union Employees that I have worked with ( in 5 states now ) are 90% to the man less productive than their counterparts who do not have "Union" protection.

Now, I am not saying they don't do a good job, I have a bunch of Union guys who work for me now that build some great looking plant and the stuff always passes QC, but it's the TIME that it takes to get that product.

When I am paying over $42/hr for a foreman, over $38/hr for (2 or 3) linemen and $30/hr plus for an apprentice, those costs add up. When they are costing me $3000/day in labor & vehicle expenses, and turning $1800 in production because of the "weather/site conditions/access/whatever excuse" and I can't do anything about it because of the Union Stipulations, that is bad for business.

I spend my money on quality. If the US made component is better, I will gladly pay more for it, but I want quality for my coin. I don't want an inferior product with a USA stamp on it that I will need to replace.

JD

Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
That's another bone of contention for me!

The Army going PC? Let's put every desk pough in a black berret so everyone "feels" elite? WTF?

I was light infantry for 6 years. I was never a member of 1 of the 3 Ranger Battalions, therefore I had no expectation or right to the Black Berrett.

That move in this vet's opinion was complete PC BS.
+1000 here. I did not earn that, the Ranger who went through Hell did.

I was content with my orange beret.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'd settle for a President who was made in the USA.

Okay, sorry.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #24

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd like to see a move to the barter system anyway.

Anybody need to have a ceiling fan switch wired up, or a beer?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #25

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I like Asian chicks - and they're made overseas...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK I am not a union evangelist by far,I am currently a union member though, I will agree that a lot of union labor sucks big time, I have seen some pretty bad examples of "craftsmanship", I can say that at my place of employ that if we weren't union, that I would not be paid enough to survive. I work at an airport as a maintenance tech, I am responsible to maintain and repair, passenger loading bridges, baggage carosels the hvac for the building, plumbing,lighting,painting, carpet repairs,maintaining the grass cutting on the airfield and on the landside, and snow removal on top of that in the winter also security doors and camera systems.My current rate of pay is 20.67 hr. I have good health ins also. I have actually heard it said by management that if it wasn't for the union they would only be paying us 11 bucks an hr, we have large responsibilities to keep this place running, I am thankful for the union at my work, even if they don't give a rats ass about us and just want to collect dues.
I don't believe that unions forced manufacturers to go overseas to have thier junk made, is it one of the items on the list of reasons? sure, but the bottom line is it's all about the bottom line period. Do you think the Chinese workers get paid comparable to the USA minimum wage? don't think so, thing about it is EVERYTHING about exporting labor is cheaper, the work environment regulations are far less than here so that is less overhead, steel costs less there too because they have less stringent laws concerning protecting thier employees and the environment, and you know you can keep on going. I have read the companies actually got tax breaks to go overseas, dont know how true though.
The USA min wage is barely adequate IMO, cost of living is through the roof, there shuold be regs or something to bring industy back to this country. WE NEED THE JOBS!!
I love to buy USA made but the fact of the matter is that the quality isn't allways there anymore. I will buy whatever as long as it appears of quality and will do the job as expected.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Here are links that gives US made stuff.
US Stuff

Buy American

Last edited by Shihan; 04-22-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Find me an American-made SKS & i'll give it serious consideration.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #29

I am not necessarily PRO labor union or PRO minimum wage laws, but they are just band aids on the real problem of GLOBALIZATION. Globalization, the free importation of goods, and the high tariffs that other countries pay for Made in USA products drive out American industry, and drive in American poverty.

Push out the globalists with your votes, and with your purchases. Buy Made in the USA, buy locally, invest in local small banks, and vote for anti-globalization candidates at the poles.

...but don't be fooled by Left or Right. Look at their voting habits because their actions speak louder than their words.

FFL Gun Dealers

Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLGunDealers View Post
Push out the globalists with your votes, and with your purchases. Buy Made in the USA, buy locally, invest in local small banks, and vote for anti-globalization candidates at the poles.

...but don't be fooled by Left or Right.
FFL Gun Dealers
Truth spoken right there!!

People get the government they deserve.

Closed Thread