Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is Everything......Made in China??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is Everything......Made in China??

I cannot friggin shop for anything anymore, with the exception of guns. Not that this is a bad thing, but stabbing a chunk of my favorite steak with the muzzle of a .22 pistol just isn't going to work for me.

I went looking for a new stainless flatware service for my wife's new dining room set. Oh, you should see this thing, formal table, 6 upholstered high back chairs, sculpted table legs with ornate grape clusters at the top, inlaid burl around the edges and a matching hutch with wine rack, felt lined drawers....fancy, and MADE IN CHINA!!

Every box of flatware I found was MADE IN CHINA!! Every decorative plate or serving platter was MADE IN CHINA!! As I shopped and looked at various items, I came to the realization that nearly everything was MADE IN CHINA!!

This is going to be my quest from this time on, to not buy anything that isn't MADE IN the USA!! Failing that, I will settle for Assembled in the USA, but that is the only concession I'm making.

People get the government they deserve.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I was younger and mom would take my brother and I to the store we would always play a little game where you found American made stuff. Poppa always talked about how awesome American made stuff was, so we tried to find some.
We usually could find American made stuff in the tools section and clothing section. To our dismay, no toys were made in the USA.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

It sometimes why I and the wife miss being stationed in Germany when I was active duty. You can find all goodies made in Europe or China, more European; however, each day that is changing - cheaper labor and mass production.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Even Chinese are made in China

I am old enough to remember when you seen Made in Japan or anywhere else pretty much it was cheap. But as the price of labor went up the jobs left and this is what we have now. If you look you can still find American stuff in some areas. I have to admit I almost cried when I bought a Gerber and Kissing Crane knives on eBay some time ago and seen China on the blade. The Kissing Crane wasn't stamped but a sticker on the blade. That was cheap..even for them.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I needed some basesball caps for my company. Spent a whole day looking for "MADE IN USA" caps online, but no dice. Finally, I called Mark LaRue to see where he gets his excellent hats and he sheepishly said they were made offshore. Nobody in the US makes caps anymore? Jeez. He looked around for a couple of weeks and could not find any.

But we refused to buy "MADE IN CHINA" hats.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #6

Liked 4550 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Thank Labor Unions and Minimum Wage Laws...

Some of you may want to jump on me for this, feel free, but the fact of the matter is that we've come to expect too much in wages for unskilled labor to ever again compete with these products.

I'm more upset with the US companies who TOOK bail out money. I'll personaly never buy another GM or Chrysler product and if Ford goes begging to the Fed's I swear to god I'll start buying foreign cars!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Thank Labor Unions and Minimum Wage Laws...

Some of you may want to jump on me for this, feel free, but the fact of the matter is that we've come to expect too much in wages for unskilled labor to ever again compete with these products.

I'm more upset with the US companies who TOOK bail out money. I'll personaly never buy another GM or Chrysler product and if Ford goes begging to the Fed's I swear to god I'll start buying foreign cars!

That's what I was trying to get at I guess without saying it. When you have union labor asking top dollar for what all too often ends up being sub standard work it's put us at a place where people are going to buy cheaper imported things vs US made that many times costs more and wont be any better.

I have two examples of this problem. When I was a young man all of 21 back in the 80's I worked as a shift manager of a restaurant in Cincinnati Ohio. WE were really close to a GM plant and I watched people go to work, clock in, then head to the corner bar to get paid 20+ dollars an hour to get hammered. Others that actually did work come in for lunch and would joke with me for my making a lousy salary (275.00 per week then) when I could be making much more working with them. A few months later the two GM plants in Cincinnati closed down due mainly low productivity. I hired a few of those guys later for 3.35 an hour. And the town of Norwood Ohio all but shut down for years after. Later I left the city life and moved to Kentucky. I applied to all the factories where I had any kind of experience as well as all the restaurants. It so happened I was hired by a restaurant and I had bills to pay so that's where I stayed until a better offer presented itself. A local Tecumseh factory was the place to work I was told over and over. Union shop so once you got on with them you were set. I watched as people got fired for things like getting caught burning a lefty on lunch break or heading to their trucks for beers. then went to the union stewards to get rehired. And it happened a lot. I chose to stay put unless I could fund another place that needed as powdercoat booth man, forklift operator, misc wage slave etc among other neat things I could do. The factory left town to move to Mexico. Over 400 people lost jobs in a town that had next to no industrial complex.

While I do believe Unions to be a great ideal to insure workers are treated fairly they seem to be a little TOO powerful in many cases. I'm sure I've made some people upset wit this but the truth is the truth. We Americans want to get the top wage for work that is not top shelf. And we pass that savings on to.....

Old 04-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
That's what I was trying to get at I guess without saying it. When you have union labor asking top dollar for what all too often ends up being sub standard work it's put us at a place where people are going to buy cheaper imported things vs US made that many times costs more and wont be any better.

I have two examples of this problem. When I was a young man all of 21 back in the 80's I worked as a shift manager of a restaurant in Cincinnati Ohio. WE were really close to a GM plant and I watched people go to work, clock in, then head to the corner bar to get paid 20+ dollars an hour to get hammered. Others that actually did work come in for lunch and would joke with me for my making a lousy salary (275.00 per week then) when I could be making much more working with them. A few months later the two GM plants in Cincinnati closed down due mainly low productivity. I hired a few of those guys later for 3.35 an hour. And the town of Norwood Ohio all but shut down for years after. Later I left the city life and moved to Kentucky. I applied to all the factories where I had any kind of experience as well as all the restaurants. It so happened I was hired by a restaurant and I had bills to pay so that's where I stayed until a better offer presented itself. A local Tecumseh factory was the place to work I was told over and over. Union shop so once you got on with them you were set. I watched as people got fired for things like getting caught burning a lefty on lunch break or heading to their trucks for beers. then went to the union stewards to get rehired. And it happened a lot. I chose to stay put unless I could fund another place that needed as powdercoat booth man, forklift operator, misc wage slave etc among other neat things I could do. The factory left town to move to Mexico. Over 400 people lost jobs in a town that had next to no industrial complex.

While I do believe Unions to be a great ideal to insure workers are treated fairly they seem to be a little TOO powerful in many cases. I'm sure I've made some people upset wit this but the truth is the truth. We Americans want to get the top wage for work that is not top shelf. And we pass that savings on to.....
You and Tack are not offending me. I heard GM was paying janitors $80,000 a year. You can buy a house in Detroit for way less than my car cost, but janitors were making $80K?

I constantly hear that Target (etc.) employees are suing for increased wages because they need a "living wage". What happened to "entry level" jobs? When did Target Clerk become a career?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When the Army switched to black berets we were more than a little ticked to find that they were MADE IN CHINA!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, if it would help collapse the corrupt unions - I'd never buy anything made in the USA again. They had their place at the turn of the century but all they do now is inflate wages and prices so companies are forced to move their production offshore...

Closed Thread