Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Everyone look at this befor you use another Copy Machine!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/everyone-look-befor-you-use-another-copy-machine-27199/)

dunerunner 05-15-2010 06:50 PM

Everyone look at this befor you use another Copy Machine!!

Copy machines store a digital image of everything they scan and print....everything!!

Copy machines, a security risk? [VIDEO]

Shihan 05-15-2010 07:00 PM

So no more sitting on the copiers and making copies.:eek: Guess it is too late.

doctherock 05-15-2010 07:10 PM

I will be alerting the School District I work for right away on this issue. Dont need all my sensitive materials out there, the government has enough already.

canebrake 05-15-2010 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What about all the Word Docs printed by blond secretaries?

NPD5946TSW 05-15-2010 08:03 PM

I almost feel dumb for not knowing that..... I SHOULD have.... wow. I'm gonna start making RANDOM copies on every copy machine I find now!

c3shooter 05-15-2010 08:21 PM

While NEWER copiers (and printers) DO have a hard drive, it has a limited capacity, and overwrites the oldest files as new material is added. With ANY electronic device with a computer chip- if you want to permanently erase everything that can be in there, I would introduce you to my good friend, Mr. Steel Smelting Furnace.

Yunus 05-16-2010 01:15 AM

At roughly 250kb per page which is what the video showed, that would be about 4 pages per meg or about 4,000 per gig. That means a 10 gig hard drive would hold the last 40,000 pages copied.

You would think at a minimum that some clever company like Xerox would come out with a copier that has built in functionality to erase the HD and market it as a more secure copier. Apparently right now they sell it for $500. Yeah 500 to erase a HD, that seems pretty stupid to me.

dunerunner 05-16-2010 01:21 AM

I wonder about all those copiers leased by the Federal Government.....like DOD!! How much information has gone into the wrong hands because they have elected to get newer model copiers or gone with a competitive supplier.

I know my agency used leased copiers. I have used copiers at many places to reproduce my drivers license, marriage license, information containing all of my financial information. Wonder who has that now!! :eek:

Shihan 05-16-2010 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are many of these out there then.

Bigcountry02 05-16-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 285522)
I wonder about all those copiers leased by the Federal Government.....like DOD!! How much information has gone into the wrong hands because they have elected to get newer model copiers or gone with a competitive supplier.

I know my agency used leased copiers. I have used copiers at many places to reproduce my drivers license, marriage license, information containing all of my financial information. Wonder who has that now!! :eek:

Places like:

Kinko's
Public Library
Fedex
Local printers
Government agencies
Staples
Office Depot

I and wife were friends house for dinner last night and I just happen to start a conversation regarding this copier thread! It woke everyone up; also, when you scan a document onto your copier/scanner at home, you also have a digital file in the TEMP section as well!