Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is everybody smoking crack out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Is everybody smoking crack out there?

I've mentioned that I keep track of three of four local gun sell/trade webpages in my area, but the past couple of weeks I've felt the "fever" come on me again, and have been scanning them two or three times a day. I don't know what I'm looking for; I'll know it when I see it.

But whatever I wind up buying will have to be a "deal" of some kind. I don't expect to buy anything dirt cheap, but I don't really NEED anything, and can wait until the right gun at the right price comes up.

But lately . . . Jesus. I think everyone is trying to unload some of the guns they bought at the artificially high prices a few months ago, and are trying to get 100% -- or more-- of the inflated price they paid for it. Well, the AR's have come down, but I'm not really looking for one.

And the ones wanting to trade are even worse. The people making the offers are either ignorant of relative gun values, or think I am. Offer's like "Hi Point .45 will trade for a Kimber 1911" or " Have Mossberg 500 self defense shotgun, will trade for AR-15". Yeah. I'd like to make that trade too.

Okay. I admit that when it comes to gun prices, I'm behind the times. But . . . $500 for a scuffed up Smith Model 10? I paid $230 for mine about five years ago. $650 for a used Model 19? I paid $275.00 for one at about the same time. $500 for a used, New Model Blackhawk? I think mine was about $280.

Okay, I know I'm not gonna see those kind of prices again. But still . . . I see Model 29's going for over $1000! WTF? A Makarov for $600.00 -- a few years ago, when they first came on the market, you couldn't GIVE me one.

I would surely hate to be starting a collection today.

Last edited by txpossum; 03-10-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1475 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Such seller often dreams of a buyer as crazy as he is. And guess what, even the blind pig finds an acorn once in a while

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #3

Liked 605 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I know what you mean. A S&W 19 just jumped to the top of my list, and most are seen at $550-650.

Depending on the dash and condition that may be the book value of one, but an 75% 19-3??? I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #4

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I see a lot of that around here, too.

Sometimes you find the proverbial "pearl in the pile".

Patience, diligence, and persistence does pay off.

The whole problem is that there is a feeding frenzy

of nitwits out there with more money than sense,

who are willing to pay those insane prices.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #5

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just saw a Star 1922 in the oddball 9mm largo cartridge for "$450.00 firm". Now, I've owned a couple of Star automatics -- a .45 and a 9mm, and found them to be sturdy guns. I kinda like 'em. But there's no way that's a $450.00 gun.

There days some seem to think that ANYTHING that fires a bullet has to be a treasure.
"

Oh . . . and I see them selling things like "15 rounds of used .308 brass" . . . are things THAT BAD that we have to buy brass five or ten at a time?

Last edited by txpossum; 03-10-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I've mentioned that I keep track of three of four local gun sell/trade webpages in my area, but the past couple of weeks I've felt the "fever" come on me again, and have been scanning them two or three times a day. I don't know what I'm looking for; I'll know it when I see it.

But whatever I wind up buying will have to be a "deal" of some kind. I don't expect to buy anything dirt cheap, but I don't really NEED anything, and can wait until the right gun at the right price comes up.

But lately . . . Jesus. I think everyone is trying to unload some of the guns they bought at the artificially high prices a few months ago, and are trying to get 100% -- or more-- of the inflated price they paid for it. Well, the AR's have come down, but I'm not really looking for one.

And the ones wanting to trade or even worse. The people making the offers are either ignorant of relative gun values, or think I am. Offer's like "Hi Point .45 will trade for a Kimber 1911" or " Have Mossberg 500 self defense shotgun, will trade for AR-15". Yeah. I'd like to make that trade too.

Okay. I admit that when it comes to gun prices, I'm behind the times. But . . . $500 for a scuffed up Smith Model 10? I paid $230 for mine about five years ago. $650 for a used Model 19? I paid $275.00 for one at about the same time. $500 for a used, New Model Blackhawk? I think mine was about $280.

Okay, I know I'm not gonna see those kind of prices again. But still . . . I see Model 29's going for over $1000! WTF? A Makarov for $600.00 -- a few years ago, when they first came on the market, you couldn't GIVE me one.

I would surely hate to be starting a collection today.
It isn't just the firearm sales that are like that, go check the JEEP and International (not as bad as JEEP but bad enough) For Sale sites, everyone thinks their JEEP or IH is a rare and highly valuable vehicle.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

rjleal Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Supply and Demand, play a big part of what a firearm will sell for. Even the LGS and large retail stores play this game often with higher than MSRP prices on hard to get guns or guns that are in short supply on the market. Yes, you can have the store order one at MSRP from a distributor, but may have to wait 6 to 18 months for it to come in.

Is it right, that might be a matter of opinion. If you are the seller than you think it is right, if you are the buyer you might think it is over priced. Either way neither is right or wrong, just what they think the product is worth.

As an example, several years ago I purchased a Taurus PT-140 for $350.00 from Cabela's here in Illinois on sale. Then about 3 weeks after that I went to the same store and they had 2 of the same pistols USED on display for $399.95. Which was the MSRP for that gun as new. How they thought that someone would pay more for a used one than a new one, I did not understand. But that was a large retailer and could ask whatever price they wanted. So I would not be surprised to see what we may consider inflated prices on guns from the general selling public.

Along the same lines I purchased a CZ-75 P-01 that they were selling for $25.00 over MSRP for that pistol, I was lucky to get them to reduce the price to the MSRP. But if I was to sell it today I would ask $200.00 over what I paid for it. (it is in near unused condition 99%) You might bulk at that price or you could wait almost 2 years for one to come in from CZ (through Eagle Sales).

That is called a "Time Value Cost" for the excess price. Meaning that getting it sooner than latter is worth the extra cost of the product. To a CZ fan that might just be worth it for them to have one. The same thing happened during the most recent Black Gun scare, but now that supplies are back to where they should be the prices are coming down dramatically, even lower than where they were before the scare.

You spin the wheel and see where the little ball falls, that is why they call it roulette.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 03-10-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

No different than gold, when people want and supplies are short, prices soar. If the market gets flooded, they drop like a rock. One mans loss is another mans gain. The fact that the US and State governments have been so interested in classifying them good or bad has put a whole new spin on the volatility and availability. Buy low and sell high is the same goal in any investment guns or gold, buying today at market highs is not wise...

Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8094

Maybe they ARE smoking crack. That would explain the high prices for the firearms. I do believe crack is an expensive addiction.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #10

Liked 350 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

"The Fever" is a tough condition to deal with. It was tougher for me when I was working and always had disposable income. Not having that luxury these days makes it a lot easier to walk away. And, my modest collection is pretty much complete. If I'm never able to add to it, I'm OK with that.