Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever wonder why kids are stupid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #31
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 940 Times on 560 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I had a history teacher in 8th grade that had ridiculous expectations. He wanted college level work out of everybody. In fact, I lost 12 points on a 10 point assignment once. I was actually impressed I had managed to do that. He also gave me detention for looking at the clock. Looking. At. The. Clock. He was kind of a Nazi.

He later got let go under very unknown circumstances. I never actually found out officially why. But from what I was told he was screwed out of his job by some kids who lied about something he did. I severely disliked this man, but unjustly firing him actually upset me.

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine
Getting screwed out of his job might just be his side of the story not what actually happened but I am just guessing on that.

I have had some great teachers and some terrible ones, and from 30 years distance some of them have reversed positions. I absolutely hated Sister Consalata, but by God I can put a coherent sentence together and that was what she was trying to teach me.

On the other hand I had an electrical engineering teacher who I liked and who's name I can't even remember. He spent the whole quarter teaching the shortcuts he used while working for the power company. Shortcuts are great, but they are really useless if you don't understand the theory behind them. I did not really realize this then.( An easy A is an easy A). I didn't finish college so in the long run it didn't really matter to me other than to teach a certain laziness that real life had to beat back out of me.

The greatest teacher I had was my 10th grade geometry teacher, he made me learn without my knowing I was learning. I have no idea how he did it. I had a hard time with algebra but he made geometry make sense without yelling or browbeating. He just taught and if you didn't get it he taught it again and again and we learned and I wish I had had a Mr. Baltz for every subject, but it seems they are few and far between.

To the Mr. Baltzs of the world, THANK YOU
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
The cluttered desk, the teacher that appears he could care less is just the tip of the iceberg! The problem in the public school system is far more insidious.
They are literally rewriting history the typical college freshman does not know who Adolf Hitler was! America is dumbing down and the fault falls right at the feet of the educational system.
For those of you with children in school check out the "Common Core" program now the Law of the Land. Really look at it and what they want to teach your children as being fact
I'm not being an alarmist this is happening right under your very noses. The people of the USA are so busy with social media , I phones, Facebook, and all the too many to mention other distractions
that they turn over the upbringing of their children to the State. If you care about them this is a huge mistake!!
I've read the Idaho common core guidelines several times. Other than them being deficient in math and science they seem about right to me. The English and reading are als weak but not as weak as he math and science segments.

What exactly are you objecting to?
I

Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I taught my daughters to THINK. My oldest came home from 5th grade in tears because her teacher insisted Dolphins and Whales were not related. I told her to look it up and find proof. She presented her proof to the teacher the next day and actually got an apology. She is the same one that got a college scolarship to the Texas Academy of Math and Science at the University of North Texas (Denton) IN THE 10TH GRADE! She graduated from highschool and had an Associates degree on the same day. Full academic ride to the University of Houston and a BA at 20. About to take the CPA test at 22. Mom passed all 4 parts first time, so daughter has brains on both sides of the DNA strand (IMHO).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This