Ever wonder just how fast your PC is - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever wonder just how fast your PC is

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Those numbers are more than sufficient for anyone who doesn't have a specific need for more bandwidth. It's unusual that you have more upload than download but not a good or bad thing since I assume you don't host any web servers. Think of it like this, you have a sports car with a top speed of 9,500, but traffic flow on average won't let you get above 1,000-2,000 on a regular basis.

I doubt its your desktop causing the slowdown. My guess by those speeds is that your on DSL. Having a much lower upload speed is normal and is nothing to worry about for most web browsers. You download all the information and picutres on a webpage with a simple small request which is the upload(the text in your browser bar tells your internet provider what web site you are looking for). It's not that simple but you get the idea.

Just for reference, I am a heavy computer user, I have downloaded 127 gigs in the last 2 months and uploaded 21 gigs. And I guarantee I upload as a percentage of total usage more than most on this board.
Thanks Yunus for explaining it in terms I understand.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Yunus. It seems fairly quick for my simple needs.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have dial-up....why bother
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
dial up? what the hell is that? lol After everyone posted their speeds I started to feel inadequate, but then I realized that I have a BIG Hard.....Drive to over compensate. lol

I feel your pain, bro. Thought i was the only one with dialup left

OK get ready for comic relief:

DL - 0.04Mbs

UL - 0.32Mbs

ping - 150ms

ahahahahahahaha

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
I feel your pain, bro. Thought i was the only one with dialup left
]

Nope - there are still some cheap bastards left in this world that refuse to pay through the nose just to do this crap...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

All the money I used to spend on smokes I now spend on Internet access. If I could afford it I would have a t1 line ran to my house.

I have 3 computer in my house 2 pc's 1 mac. Soon to be 2 pc's and 2 macs. I am starting to build my media server that will have at least 8tb of hard drive space. This will be networked in so I can access all my movies and music from my media server. This will provide me with a central location to keep all media files and free up room on my hard drives. Seeing as right now I have 10 gigs of music on each computer. The only thing I will not have on my media server will be my blu-ray movies. Because I am not spending $200 on a blu-ray drive yet. I am also looking at getting a netbook to add to my slurry of computers as well. Look I am the only guy that is trying to talk his wife into letting my take over a closet in the house to create a server room so I can buy a couple of real servers and a big router then put in gigabit Ethernet through out the house.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Nope - there are still some cheap bastards left in this world that refuse to pay through the nose just to do this crap...

Yeah i can't justify 50+ bucks/month for a 5 Gig D/L limit, personally (uploads counted too). You can easily go over that in a week even being uber careful, then you're throttled back to dialup speeds anyway for the next 3 weeks :P

But then aust has rubbish broadband compared to even a village in Slovakia LOL

Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I use this tool when I am war driving to really fook with people. I will find unsecured wireless network and log on to it and run this get the ip to their router and access it and change all the security settings.
If you're logging onto a personal network, won't the router IP be 192.168.1.1 like, 98% of the time?

And if their router already has security enabled, how is it you crack the router password? Obviously, if they don't know how to reset it there's a good chance it's still at factory default, but the auto-setup programs usually have you reset the admin username and password, from what I've encountered.

Obviously, this is assuming they have no encryption. If they've got WEP, still no real problem, easy peasy. But what about if they've got WPA or WPA2? That can take hours, even days of packet capturing, depending on your CPU speed...just how long are you out sitting in front of these people's houses?

Is it really worth all that to make someone hit their reset switch on their router and rerun the auto-setup program? Especially considering with linux (which I would assume you're using, any good wardriver would) you're going to need a virtual windows environment such as Wine to play most current (awesome) games. I assume you're on Linux, since if you're on Windows you'd probably be using the old two network adapter trick.

Not saying I don't believe you, just saying...why?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #28

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I don't run linux because my laptop will not run the wifi with linux it is a 3com card and they don't like people who use linux. I got tired of trying to figure out the ndswrapper and all that. I have had linux on it before and I really like Linux mandriva the best if I had a 10/100 drop near by. The best thing about linux is for a basic OS you really have to buy no additional software it comes with games and MS Office compatible office suite.

I will not mess with people who have WEP or WPA I just mess with people who plug it in and go. Like my neighbor two doors down. I logged on to her wireless and had that sucker so locked down it was like fort knox. anything I could change I did. different IP address different admin name and password added wpa with a pass word that was 108 letters and numbers long.

That is all I do. I am not like some out there that will jump on your wifi and start downloading stuff and all that. I just like to make people think.

I run wpa 2 on my computers at home. with a crazy password and all that.

For the nontechie here.

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) this is the same as plugging your computer into a network as far as security. It is not hard to break and I have friends that can crack a wep key in a matter 30 to 45 seconds 1 minute if it is a real hard and or long one.

Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA and WPA2) If you are running wireless this is what you want to be running. it is much more secure and harder to crack....

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-15-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
That is all I do. I am not like some out there that will jump on your wifi and start downloading stuff and all that. I just like to make people think.
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if they're broadcasting onto your property with an unsecured signal, they're fair game for bandwith-steal-age. Most people probably won't notice that, anyway. I just don't like to jerk around with them too much...I work for an outsourced tech support company and I'd feel bad if the guy I screwed around with called our company to come out at $90 an hour to fix it.

Maybe I'm just a nice guy. Besides, I may need to hop on and steal some signal should my equipment go down for a short time, and if I've f-ed with them in the past, they're more likely to lock it down in the future.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #30

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Upside-Down-Ternet

Never tried it but I remember reading about it a while ago. Upside down or blurry pictures to anyone jumping on your wireless.

I agree though, unsecured wireless connections are free game and should be legal, but are not in some areas. While it would be rare to get in trouble for it, its not impossible.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson