Ever "Met" A Notorious Criminal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever "Met" A Notorious Criminal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Default Ever "Met" A Notorious Criminal?

Has anyone ever "met", or been in contact with, a notorious criminal?

Here is my story, prompted by an upcoming parole board hearing.

When I was in high school in the early 1980's on the rowing team we would race a team on the bay off of San Quentin and the inmates would often yell at the boats (we had to be 100 yards or so away from shore or there would be hell to pay- we were told that the guards would fire shots to warn boats away). Anyhow, the inmates would yell all sorts of stuff, catcalls, insults, insist that they were innocent, etc..

One day we were near the start line (marked by a guard tower at the prison) rowing around to stay warmed up and waiting for our boat to be called to the line and there was one lone inmate in the yard yelling "Fukk you!" over and over. We started yelling "Fukk you too!" back at him. I was the coxswain in the boat, the guy who sits in the back and calls the stroke cadence etc. with a megaphone, also I had the strongest voice.

Anyhow the guy started laughing when we started yelling back at him. So I yelled "Who the fukk are you, *******?". He replied "Charlie Manson!"

True story. My blood froze in my veins. We stopped yelling, but he continued. We lost the race, due in no small part to my inability to concentrate on my duties.

Not that it is related but the races started near the prison and ended near the railroad trestle that was in the final scenes of Dirty Harry. After the race we would jump into the water off the raised railroad bridge connected to that trestle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

When I was in high school, I was a cashier at Osco Drug, and Whitey came to my line.

When I was a few years younger, I used to shovel snow for a few of his men, and he gave me a Christmas card.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Manson? I would like to sit down and chat with him. I would like to hear some of his acid stories.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
When I was in high school, I was a cashier at Osco Drug, and Whitey came to my line.

When I was a few years younger, I used to shovel snow for a few of his men, and he gave me a Christmas card.
did they tip well?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Manson? I would like to sit down and chat with him. I would like to hear some of his acid stories.
Have you ever watched anybody interview him? I remember watching an interview where some big time TV reporter went in and talked to him and the reporter was absolutely terrified the whole time and it was obvious on camera.

I was 100+ yards away and terrified. That dude is one crazy mokerfuther.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No. The closest I ever came was when I saw one of the local news station's 'area's most wanted' mugshots and recognized one of the fugitives. He had been a customer months before at a store where I worked. I remembered him because he had seemed kind of sad when he told me about his daughter. He said wanted to get a nice photograph of himself to give to her so she could have a picture of her dad. I got the impression he didn't really get to see her much...now I understand why.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
did they tip well?
Yeah. I made about $200 each winter for 3 years (not counting the little extra during Christmas). I knew who they were, I just didn't know what they were...

Looking back, it did seem odd they were nice to me.... I'm Italian - they're Irish mob.... oh well..

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Last edited by Mason609; 04-11-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: content

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

One job in high school was at Krogers as a bag boy. Blanche Taylor Moore was my boss as front end manager....look her up! Whew!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

"In 1954, she began working at Kroger as a cashier. By 1959, she'd been promoted to head cashier (roughly the equivalent of a customer service manager today), the highest job available to a female employee at Kroger at the time."

Blanche Kiser Taylor Moore (born February 17, 1933) is a convicted murderer and probable serial killer from Alamance County, North Carolina. She was convicted of killing her boyfriend by slipping arsenic into his food, and is suspected of killing three other people and nearly killing another in the same manner.

thats creepy as hell truggie

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
"In 1954, she began working at Kroger as a cashier. By 1959, she'd been promoted to head cashier (roughly the equivalent of a customer service manager today), the highest job available to a female employee at Kroger at the time."

Blanche Kiser Taylor Moore (born February 17, 1933) is a convicted murderer and probable serial killer from Alamance County, North Carolina. She was convicted of killing her boyfriend by slipping arsenic into his food, and is suspected of killing three other people and nearly killing another in the same manner.

thats creepy as hell truggie
Yes, she went by Blanche Taylor on her nametag.....i remember her wearing black in mourning...more than once!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It