Ever Known A Pathological Liar? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever Known A Pathological Liar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #51
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

As far as I am aware, there are specific specialties that the different branches train a soldier for, and they rarely will "stack" or cross-train an individual soldier, unless it is for a special force like the SEALs where they need to be expert in many different areas by necessity. But when a dude says they have a bunch of different specialties that don't seem to me to compliment one another I tend to see red flags (or are they yellow flags?) Like being a machinegunner/sniper/MP/armorer/welder/engineer/medic/demolitionist. You know what I mean? Even to an ignorant civilian like me that sounds like BS.
Well some specialties arent an mos. Sniper isnt an mos its a school you goto then get sent back to your unit. As is air assault welding armorer etc. Things like engineer eod(demolitionist) medic are mos specialties.

Some people may have a couple of mos but its not terribly common to have gone to more than two mos schools.

I was an armorer mp generator tech (lowest rating) 5ton driver had a chance to go air assault but saw no purpose to it as i hated sliding down ropes, had a chance to go to sniper school but the battalion commander's pet got the only slot the mp's in the 25th had for the year. Kid washed out when he got there first week couldnt pass initial qualification. Didnt know how to shoot. He had fudged range scores.

Most people will have 4 or so minor schools in the first couple years and can reinlist after the first tour for a different mos if your high speed enough to get a recomendation to do it. People that go multi mos tend to be lifers and often go officer

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Well some specialties arent an mos. Sniper isnt an mos its a school you goto then get sent back to your unit. As is air assault welding armorer etc. Things like engineer eod(demolitionist) medic are mos specialties.

Some people may have a couple of mos but its not terribly common to have gone to more than two mos schools.

I was an armorer mp generator tech (lowest rating) 5ton driver had a chance to go air assault but saw no purpose to it as i hated sliding down ropes, had a chance to go to sniper school but the battalion commander's pet got the only slot the mp's in the 25th had for the year. Kid washed out when he got there first week couldnt pass initial qualification. Didnt know how to shoot. He had fudged range scores.

Most people will have 4 or so minor schools in the first couple years and can reinlist after the first tour for a different mos if your high speed enough to get a recomendation to do it. People that go multi mos tend to be lifers and often go officer
okay, that does make sense and i see your point, but is it possible for someone in the military to be able to acheive all these different ratings in just a couple of years? wouldn't a person have to have an lot of talent in many different areas to get that many in a short period of time? also what if they were deployed overseas in combat?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #53

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I worked with a 25 year old who had just moved out of his mother's house. He had more experiences in his 25 years than I have had in over 60.....I guess that explained why he knew everything. When ever the "gun guys" at work would be talking, he would walk up and entertain us with a story about his "friend" who could shoot Coke bottles, at 100 yards, all day long, with a S&W model 60 snubbie. I thought only Steve McGarrett could do that.....

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #54

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I worked with a 25 year old who had just moved out of his mother's house. He had more experiences in his 25 years than I have had in over 60.....I guess that explained why he knew everything. When ever the "gun guys" at work would be talking, he would walk up and entertain us with a story about his "friend" who could shoot Coke bottles, at 100 yards, all day long, with a S&W model 60 snubbie. I thought only Steve McGarrett could do that.....
All the while not messing up his hair while doing the shot out of a chopper!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #55

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
All the while not messing up his hair while doing the shot out of a chopper!!
Yea, my favorite shot of old Steve, was when the bad guy was running, wide open, across an industrial walkway, two hundred yards away and 100 feet over McGarretts head, he whoops out that snubbie, fires from the hip and flips the bad guy over the rail.

I can shoot like that too, but I don't like to show off.......

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #56
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Have I ever told you guys about my days flying SR-71 missions for the CIA shuttling high-value assets to hotspots around the world. Boy, those were the days.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #57

Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Love these stories,absolute crackups. It's good to see you blokes have your fair share of crapologists as well.

Being an ex mechanic I used to cop a lot of interesting stories and the 1 that stuck out amongst many was 1 bloke who swore black and blue that his Holden(General Motors Holden Aussie version of GM) V8 308ci ute had completely spun the engine in the engine bay while the ute was doing 60mph.

I asked him how he knew this and he said that the engine was sitting on it's side in the engine bay. Actual fact was that the engine dropped a engine mount.
This was a standard joke amongst my mates and I for a long time.

The subject of guns and hunting always brings out the best in people I reckon.

2 stories,as at the last place I worked at there was a couple of us talking guns and hunting in general when old mate decides to throw his 2c in and says that he had a .243 that threw a projectile out at 5000fps.
Now this was just ripe for a pisstake so the 1st question I asked was "Did you chrongraph that load and what powder charge and projectile did you use and in what rifle?"

He looked at me and without missing a beat replied,"It was in a BSA Chronach(? yes I looked at him and had to turn away before I pissed myself laughing) and it was using some brand of bullet that I can't remember(where upon I started rattling off a few brand names but he sort of looked at me stunned) and it was gunpowder that was grey looking." and then I the clanger "Whats a chronograph,never heard of one of those."

I explained then that a chronograph was used to measure projectile velocity and it's been around for along time.
I then said that the only time a projectile from a rifle had hit 5000 fps was from a 30/06 and it was in an experimental rifle that the US Army was trialing years ago(I hope this is right glad to be corrected).
It was at this stage he sort of walked off not saying much claiming he had to do something.

2nd story involved another bloke at the same place that was a bit of a fisho and shooter and a teller of tall tales and true.

I was talking to a bloke about spotlighting foxes and how many I'd shot a couple of nights before and the subject of how far away have you shot a fox at came up.
This bloke pipes up and says that he shot a Emu on the run in the spotlight at............... 1000yds with his 22/250 in the head in the spotlight.

Now for those of you who do spotlight you'll know that a 1000 yds in a spotlight is a major achievement with any spotlight unless you've got 1 from an AA defense setup and to hit an EMU in the head at this range is somewhere close to a Carlos Hathcock superman type shooter with Superman vision and Bobby Lee Swaggert abilities thrown in for good measure.

I mentioned to him that at night distances are really hard to judge sometimes and left it at that,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Have I ever told you guys about my days flying SR-71 missions for the CIA shuttling high-value assets to hotspots around the world. Boy, those were the days.
no, please tell us more about it! we're all ears!
ears-.jpg  

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Oh DAMN, Scott....................

Now we got to kill 'em all.......

And WHERE will we ever bury THAT many?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #60

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

So...this one time...in band camp...I stuck a...

...oh, um, wait, I don't have one of those?

Tack