Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever Known A Pathological Liar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20842 Times on 11848 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

well as all of you know, if it was seen on the internet, it has to be true!

BTW, i have a date tonight with a French model. Bon Jour!

People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #42
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6945 Times on 4177 Posts
Likes Given: 8349

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
BTW, i have a date tonight with a French model. Bon Jour!
That commercial is so funny. My daughter and I wonder how it would feel to be chosen for a role in a commercial or movie because you're 'funny looking'.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
That commercial is so funny. My daughter and I wonder how it would feel to be chosen for a role in a commercial or movie because you're 'funny looking'.
because they have no self esteem or pride and would do anything for a dollar.

many pathological liars are like that. they feel the need to tell lies to be better than others, and many do this because they have no self esteem and want to desperately to fit in. and for some the only way is to lie about what they have done. really it's sad they feel the need to do this.

you know as well as i do, there have been some just like this here on the forum. and when they get caught in their lies, they lose a lot of credibility.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1785 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

My youngest sister's first husband was a pathological liar, thief and a 'Topper"

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #45

Liked 676 Times on 527 Posts

too many i dont care to remember.

"if a man thinks himself to be something, when he's nothing,
he deceives himself and the truth is not in him."

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8045 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Had one of those that was holding forth on his HIGH degree of expertise with all things explosive- how he had been trained by this agency and this group to do so many things he would have had to be 120 years old to have completed all the training courses.

I let it go until he said "Yeah, I have to go up to Pennsylvania Wednesday next week- we have a refresher class for licensing." My ears perked up.

"Really? Where abouts in PA?" "Well, I'm not allowed to say exactly- that's restricted information, y'know. But it's in Western PA."

Yeah, I knew. His class was going to be in Cranberry Township.

What he did not know was that he was talking to his instructor for that class.

GOTCHA!
Did you call him on it? The only way that story would be any better is if you were the instructor. really C3, you have to think these things out before you hit the "send" button! I am disappointed. No soup for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
My favorite topper story is one that I wasn't around for but my wife was there for it and she was kind enough to tell me about it.
She worked with our family doctor in surgery sometimes when her department got slow and helped the surgery dept with this or that. A few of those times she got to work with a surgical tech in there that was the king of the toppers at the hospital. If you walked on the moon, he walked on the moon with Elvis.
Our doctor is a quiet, calm, God fearing man that doesn't rattle or cuss unless he's on the dangerous side of mad. One of the times the scrub tech was regaling the audience with his exploits (I can't remember what about) in the middle of a case and the good doctor finally had it. He finally had a chance to get rattled and cuss at the same time.
With a patient wide open on the table he stopped, looked up at the tech, and yelled across the room....... "Oh yeah? I f**ked a goat!".
And to this day my wife still almost laughs herself to tears when she tells that story.
Now that was the sort of thing that we did at school with Bob, only somebody would have "been there" that night. There was one story line that ended up with a one of the guys who was always making jokes about how beautiful and sexy cows are (really, he did. we all seriously wondered about him) and the story developed into us dropping him off passed out drunk in his second story apartment at his parents house in Monte Sereno (a very affluent town in this area) and then a bunch of us stole a livestock trailer and a cow, drove it over to this guy's house and walked it upstairs to his apartment and slathered Vaseline all over the "appropriate" areas of the cow and left them there together. Of course everybody knows that cows cannot walk down stairs, so the had to get a crane to remove the cow from the house the next day..... Anyhow, you get the idea. It was a golden moment of group storytelling

And Bob had a "topper" of course- or at least made a feeble attempt at one. I don't remember what it was but I think it had to do with a cow jumping over the moon- with Bob on its back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
As much as I'd rather not, I work with one of these guys. He lies about anything and everything. My favourite one is how his old beat up Saturn can get up to 240 KmHr and how when he's done tuning the transmission, 300KmHr will be a synch to hit. Since I don't know much about cars, I let this one slide.

Then he came to my turf, a co-worker was flipping through a Wholesale Sports catalog on some down time and "brad" starting making a new storey for himself. He started out by saying he doesn't shoot at all, then found out my girlfriend is a shooter and was trying to impress her by saying he hunts a good bit. Naturally my girlfriend asked what he was using to hunt and what type of game, his response was that he only hunted deer.....with a "7mm."

This is where I had to start asking some questions. I thought I'd be nice and give him a chance to prove himself. After asking "what 7mm do you use?" And getting "a bolt action" as an answer, I figured I'd just run him into the ground here. So started asking him what brand rifle he used was, the model and a specific 7mm calibre since I can think of four off the top on my head. All I got out of him was "it's a bolt action rifle", "I only use it the rare time", and my personal favourite was when I asked the exact calibre. "It's a 7 em em, that's it. I don't know what else it could be.....it's my dads rifle."
I love it when some ignorant fool brings up "his" guns and then doesn't know what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I worked with a gay man named Paul. He spent all his time trying to convince us he was not gay and then all the fantastic things he did. Like someone mentioned earlier, this guy would have to be 150 years old to do all the things he claimed to do. I don't think he was a "pathological liar" but he sure did make up stories trying to convince us all he was someone and something he was not. It would have been so much better for him and us for him to just be honest.

He claimed to be married to an Hispanic women who died in a car crash while she was pregnant with their first child. He brought her up often and he was so eager to tell each new employee this story. Sometimes his 'wife' would be pregnant with twins. Sometimes she'd have died in a house fire. Finally, someone asked him to bring in a wedding picture. He said he couldn't because when she died her family was so upset they broke into his house and stole the wedding pictures. When asked if no one else in his family had any pictures of him and his "wife" he said they all burned in a fire. He finally brought in a picture of an Hispanic woman in a wedding gown that looked like it had been cut from a magazine. He was not in the picture. One time a co-worker was telling how she got married on a beach in Florida on Valentines day. As she was telling the story he kept saying, "We did, too!" So, he got married on a beach on Valentines day just like he did but he got married in Mexico since "Mary Lou" was Mexican.

Then he would tell us how at his Senior Prom in the 70's he and his date were such good dancers that no one at the Prom danced because they spent the whole evening standing in a circle around him and his date watching them dance.

Then he tells the story of how him and his sister wanted to buy a Volkswagen Beetle and when they called to answer an ad, the car had already been sold. Then when he tried to call the guy back to ask some sort of question, he had dialed the wrong number and reached another man who just happened to be selling a Volkswagen Beetle and they bought that one.

In his day, he worked for just about any medical field you can mention. He was a few years younger than me. I do believe he went through many jobs because he was also OCD and couldn't do more than one thing at a time, counted, alphabetized, etc. and was slower than molasses in January. He was a cyto geneticist and did all kind of amazing research. He also talked to himself all day long to help keep himself on track.

IF you saw this guy, I think my 6 year old granddaughter could whup him. But he loved to tell the story of how he and Mary Lou were walking in downtown Chicago and some guy tried to grab Mary Lou's purse. He chased down the purse snatcher and beat him to a bloody pulp. That was amazing funny as this guy bought the house two doors down from his mother and on the same block as his sister and when he took any meds for any sickness, he had his Dad drive him to work because it said on the bottle "Do not operate any machinery while taking this med until you know how it affects you".

He also told of a story how he was on an airplane and something happened to the pilot. He claims to actually have gotten into the cockpit and helped land the plane.

If you mentioned any country, state, etc, any country at all, he had a cousin who lived there. One time I was telling a story about my Dad, who's family was from what was then Soviet Georgia and I stopped and said, "Let me guess, Paul, you have a cousin who lives there." The whole lunch table stopped and stared at me. His reply......."Well, actually I do....". ROFL I also once asked him how many cousins he had. His simple reply was, "Very many. My parents had big families."

I could go on and on. I'll add more "Paul stories" as I remember them. He finally quit the hospital lab and he left in a huff because he was not well liked and people were always calling him out on his very obvious lies. He now works for another hospital a ways away (since he worked at and either got fired or quit all the ones nearby) and since the Medical Technology field is rather small and we have connections everywhere, it has been told he is honest at his current place of employment, admits to being gay and having a live in. It's so much easier just to be honest.

You know, we would have accepted him much better if he had been honest. I don't give a hoot if he's gay. I don't know why he had to lie. Then he got so tripped up in the over the years he became a target. What made it worse is he could not handle the work load.
All that would have been told by Bob in one 15-minute break period at school! (you see what I did there? My topper topped yours!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Met a few. The worst one of all was always that guy in the mirror the morning after bringing a one night stand home.
LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I had a coworker once, "Zena". She told all of us, including our boss, that she had cancer when she started working with us. From day one, another coworker, "Donna", told me she had a gut feeling that it was all a lie. I dismissed the idea, saying you can't lie about something like that. Zena would tell us about how poorly she was feeling and about her doctor's appointments. Ironically, she would always try to get sympathy from Donna (who did not believe her) and rarely from me (who did believe her for awhile.) Eventually, she told us that her hair would start falling out soon, and how she had found large clumps on her pillow and any day it would all be gone. Strangely enough, this did not happen.

Around the same time, we began to find her lying about stupid stuff. Seriously, she made up the dumbest things. She messed up on paperwork one day that resulted in something getting scheduled at a time when we were closed. When we calmly mentioned it to her and asked her to be more careful next time, she made up this elaborate tale about it. She said she had set her things down for a minute out in the store and a customer must have walked past while her back was turned, pulled out a highlighter, and gone through all of her paperwork and marked just that one section just to confuse her. In fact the customer must have just happened to have the same color highlighter as she had been using earlier in their pocket. I couldn't keep a straight face listening to that one.

Then one day she called our manager (who was out of town) to tell her she would be late for work because she'd been in chemo all morning and wasn't feeling too well. My boss of course was trying to be flexible and sympathetic with her. Zena walked in to work later and told us a completely different story about where she had really been, not knowing we had spoken with our boss earlier. It didn't help when another coworker saw her somewhere else when she was supposed to be getting treatment.

It was all a lie. Who the heck lies about something like that?! And I have learned that "Donna" is almost always right when she gets one of those gut feelings.
I knew one like that too. Same thing with cancer, but she couldn't name the specific cancer that she was suffering from. She claimed that her hair was one in a million because it didn't all fall out, and then that it didn't tend to happen with all chemo patients (which is true, I guess.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
My youngest sister's first husband was a pathological liar, thief and a 'Topper"
They tend to bleed over onto one another in my experience.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #47

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I've personally never heard a first hand "stolen valor" story.
Maybee its how I carry myself or perhaps it's the Crossed Rifles pinned to my Carhart? Either way, the bull ****ters seem to avoid me.

There must however, be a lot of them out there, because those Cross Rifles draw A LOT of questions from non Vets and they usually follow the same lines of...

...so, you were a Ranger? Umm, Nope.
...so, you served Airborne? Or...SF? Umm, Nope.

...so, you were a SNIPER? Umm, Nope.

Not taking anything away from my brothers who did do these things, but the way these questions always follow the same pattern leads me to believe there are more former SF Qualified Airborne Rangers walking the earth than ever graduated from any of these programs. And they all seem to have materiized since the campaign in Afscrapistan? Hmm...the math's just not working for me.

My favorite question is "so...how many people did you kill?"

I will usually politely explain that this a very rude question to ask. It's also a question that will probably result in a lie because "some" of those who have not taken life "may" feel the need to impress them, while those who have...are most likely not interested in discussing it with anyone.

I don't blame non Vets for being curious, and ignorant...I do blame these stolen valor crap sacks, and Hollywood, for making it seem like the coolest thing on Earth. Sure would like to meet on some day.

Tack

Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8045 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I've personally never heard a first hand "stolen valor" story.
Maybee its how I carry myself or perhaps it's the Crossed Rifles pinned to my Carhart? Either way, the bull ****ters seem to avoid me.

There must however, be a lot of them out there, because those Cross Rifles draw A LOT of questions from non Vets and they usually follow the same lines of...

...so, you were a Ranger? Umm, Nope.
...so, you served Airborne? Or...SF? Umm, Nope.

...so, you were a SNIPER? Umm, Nope.

Not taking anything away from my brothers who did do these things, but the way these questions always follow the same pattern leads me to believe there are more former SF Qualified Airborne Rangers walking the earth than ever graduated from any of these programs. And they all seem to have materiized since the campaign in Afscrapistan? Hmm...the math's just not working for me.

My favorite question is "so...how many people did you kill?"

I will usually politely explain that this a very rude question to ask. It's also a question that will probably result in a lie because "some" of those who have not taken life "may" feel the need to impress them, while those who have...are most likely not interested in discussing it with anyone.

I don't blame non Vets for being curious, and ignorant...I do blame these stolen valor crap sacks, and Hollywood, for making it seem like the coolest thing on Earth. Sure would like to meet on some day.

Tack
Those Stolen Valor *******s piss me off too and I am not a veteran. (and thanks to all you veterans for your service) I have heard many people tell stories that I find to be unbelievable, though not having any direct knowledge on the services I do not call people on those claims. One of the things that gets me is when a dude claims to be a veteran and then goes on to claim that they have a dozen or more specialties, or they are a "Green Beret SEAL" or something like that. I do appreciate it when you veterans point out some obvious lies (like the camo patterns in photos- that has helped me ID some poseurs).

As far as I am aware, there are specific specialties that the different branches train a soldier for, and they rarely will "stack" or cross-train an individual soldier, unless it is for a special force like the SEALs where they need to be expert in many different areas by necessity. But when a dude says they have a bunch of different specialties that don't seem to me to compliment one another I tend to see red flags (or are they yellow flags?) Like being a machinegunner/sniper/MP/armorer/welder/engineer/medic/demolitionist. You know what I mean? Even to an ignorant civilian like me that sounds like BS.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Those Stolen Valor *******s piss me off too and I am not a veteran. (and thanks to all you veterans for your service) I have heard many people tell stories that I find to be unbelievable, though not having any direct knowledge on the services I do not call people on those claims. One of the things that gets me is when a dude claims to be a veteran and then goes on to claim that they have a dozen or more specialties, or they are a "Green Beret SEAL" or something like that. I do appreciate it when you veterans point out some obvious lies (like the camo patterns in photos- that has helped me ID some poseurs).

As far as I am aware, there are specific specialties that the different branches train a soldier for, and they rarely will "stack" or cross-train an individual soldier, unless it is for a special force like the SEALs where they need to be expert in many different areas by necessity. But when a dude says they have a bunch of different specialties that don't seem to me to compliment one another I tend to see red flags (or are they yellow flags?) Like being a machinegunner/sniper/MP/armorer/welder/engineer/medic/demolitionist. You know what I mean? Even to an ignorant civilian like me that sounds like BS.
those who claim to have been in the service or claim to be something they weren't in the service, demean and discredit those who actually did.

i have had several members of my family serve in the military and for all those who have with honor and distinction, i have nothing but respect for you. an if a person only served as a cook and is honest about the fact he was just a cook, then i have nothing but respect for a man being honest about his factual service. after all he still served and provided a needed function. nothing at all shameful about that. but if he was just a cook and claimed to be special forces, seal, force recon ect. when he wasn't, then i have next to no respect for you.

IMO, some who lies about their service career or lack of is just a really special sort of pathological liar!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8594 Times on 3727 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Dad- to clarify- I knew where his class was going to be (and no, was NOT a secret)- because I WAS the instructor for that one. At the time only 3 of us had been credentialed to teach that course in PA.

Did I call him on it? No way.

It is much better to wait, walk into the classroom, walk to the front, and introduce yourself to the group.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This