Ever Known A Pathological Liar? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever Known A Pathological Liar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #101
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
Here's a tip for the man: The next time you want to relate to a gun owner, go out and shoot some real guns instead of the make believe ones that you use in your political speeches.
Yeah, but the effing moron would probably shoot himse...............

OOOOOhhhhhh! I see what yer sayin'!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #102
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

After reading this thread I’m thinking I may be a pathological liar. When my son was young I used to explain all kinds of things to him. Like the wind comes from all the trees waving their branches back & forth, etc. He’s grown up to be somewhat of a skeptic.

I wonder where he gets it.

Last edited by Vincine; 02-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #103
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1380

Some of you may remember a TV comedy- F Troop. One of the cast was "Trooper Duffy"- who would get started on the story of his injuries at the Alamo- "There I was, with Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, shoulder to shoulder- backs against the wall...."

Then Cpl. Egarn found that Duffy was listed in Army records as "killed in action".

Vincine- regarding the waving trees causing wind- everyone knows that it is sheets flapping on the clotheslines that do that. Our 2 youngest kids still remember standing on the beach at Virginia Beach- and me explaining that their Mom was from England, and England was on the other side of the ocean, and if you looked REALLY hard, you could just see.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #104

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

c3; I told mine he'd be able to see Europe when his eyes became bigger & stronger, like the rest of him, as he got older.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #105

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have run across a few in my day, but to launch this thread I will tell only one of the stories.

I'll call this guy Bob Howard (not his real name, but close enough). I met him when we were both attending the auto tech classes at the local community college. He first made himself known as a "Topper", where if one guy told a story then he had another one that would top it. It was not too long before the rest of us were talking about it and decided to have some fun with it. One guy would start a story and the rest of us would join in, making it more and more fantastic as we went, but we were all telling the story as though we all had been there for whatever it was we were fabricating. He would bite, every time.

Anyhoo, shortly after I graduated from this program I had the opportunity to work for a factory sponsored racing team where we raced Honda products in various classes, but primarily with IMSA (a now defunct sanctioning body). I worked there for a couple of years, met lots of legendary people and got to know some of them and their teams really well.

Well, after awhile I tired of the job and sowing my wild oats, and I wanted to settle down back home, so I quit and moved back to my old stomping grounds (actually moved in with my soon-to-be wife). I got a job at a Honda dealership in Santa Cruz and the first day on the job, lo and behold there is Bob working in the next stall.

Now, I never liked him much and he didn't seem to have changed at all, but I couldn't really avoid him very easily. Over the course of the first week or so I told him what I had been up to over the past couple of years and he came back with the expected BS stories about how a bunch of different racing teams really wanted him to work for them, blah, blah, blah, when one of the smaller team owners who was up in Half Moon Bay (nearby and up the coast) asked if I would work on his car and that he had made enough points to compete in the SCCA Nationals, and would I crew chief for him at the Nationals. Now this car was a Mazda RX3- a rotary engine car.

So I tell old Bob that I am working nights on a Mazda, and he launches into how he is a master rotary engine builder and that Jim Downing of Downing Atlanta Racing Team had actively tried to recruit him to be the main engine builder for the racing team.

Now, it just so happens that I knew Jim and all of his crew at the time. He had hosted us in his home for dinner a couple of times, and as circumstances would have it the SCCA Nationals were held at the Road Atlanta race course in Braselton Georgia not too far from Downing's shop.

So I tell Bob that I will mention him the next time I saw Jim at the track. Bob sort of got a little deflated and left me alone for the next few days. I had to get a week and a half off for the nationals (I had only been working there for a few weeks or maybe a couple of months at the time) but we went. I did see Jim Downing there (he was usually competing since it was so close for him and he always had enough points to make the field) and told him the story about Bob Howard. Needless to say Jim had never heard of him, and he enjoyed that I was going to call the guy on his BS story in a big way. He gave me one of his press photos with his autograph and a note that said something like "Bob Howard? Never heard of you. But here is my autograph just the same." (I forget exactly what he wrote)

I got home and gave Bob the autographed picture and told him that Jim laughed at his BS and had never heard of him. Bob was totally deflated,walked away mumbling something incomprehensible and never bothered me again and I quit there a few days later (got a job offer working at a racing supply store owned by the team owner I chiefed for).

So, anybody else have any stories?
Hey Viking, it's me. I do really know Jim, he must have forgotten about that weekend back a few years ago.

Back on track,

I worked with a guy who knew everything and did everything. He found out that there was a trace of American Indian (maybe) in his ancestry so he applied to an Indian tribe for certification. (Cost $). They sent him a letter welcoming him to the tribe. He used that to get university discounts for his kids. He put a dreamcatcher in his car and loaded it with Indian stickers and decals.

Now with that in hand, he now can go into "shadow mode" and become invisible in his surroundings. With that ability, the police department he worked at put him on the SWAT team so he could gain entry in rooms and buildings without the bad guys knowing he was there.

He also had 28 verified kills including one with his bare hands. This guy could do, and has done everything, and better than anyone else. He would stand in front of people telling these wild stories and we would flat out telling him he was BS'ing and he wouldn't blink and eye continuing with the story. I know he could beat a polygraph machine.

Oh, we found out later he was assigned to SWAT unit, but as a maintenance worker, he cleaned the trucks when they came back from a scene.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #106
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

My ex wife was a pathological liar. I was dumb enough to believe her. She bragged about how she was on the fencing team during her college education. I in turn bragged, her up when a co-worker mentioned that he fenced. Well you guessed it, Co-worker and spouse came to dinner bringing his fencing stuff. My wife didn't know which end to grasp when presented with a foil.

I couldn't find a place to hide, talk about humiliation.

Things fell into place after that. All the stories that I had wondered about were now explained.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 674 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
Didn't you hear? He claimed earlier this week that he skeet shoots all the time when he goes to Camp David.

However, a Washington insider earlier today broke the news that he went to only one skeet shooting event and that was for about five minutes. Apparently, he was uncomfortable to be around a bunch of Marines shooting shotguns, as well as shooting a shotgun himself.
I think the exact quote was: “We do skeet shooting all the time at Camp David.”

Isn’t that a little like saying “we do bowling all the time?”

Not knowing the vernacular gives it away every time.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #108

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

All this talk reminds me of an epic story and thread from a few years ago on another forum. A union magazine for airline pilots ran a story called "Mature Beyond His Years" featuring an interview with this guy (who applied to be interviewed);

Tim ******** (American Eagle pilot)

Excerpts from article;

" Some men and women grace their world with a maturity uncommon for their age. One such is F/O Timothy ******* (American Eagle), a role model for the ALPA Code of Ethics. The ALPA Code of Ethics declares, in part, that “an airline pilot will realize that he represents the airline to all who meet him, and will at all times keep his personal appearance and conduct above reproach.” At the age of 16, ******* started flying in September 2001—an inauspicious month, to be sure—as a freshman in the Dowling College School of Aviation, located at Brookhaven Airport on Long Island, N.Y. He graduated 3 years later, all of 19 years old, with a commercial certificate and multiengine, instrument, CFII, and single-engine sea ratings. “I was in one of the last classes at Atlantic Coast Airlines,” ******** recalls, “but I was furloughed after 8 months, so I joined the New Jersey Air National Guard.” He flies F-16s as a member of the 177th Fighter Wing, which is based in Atlantic City, N.J.; F-15s might be next. In August 2006, ******* joined EGL, flying as a Saab 340 copilot based at LAX. Since 2007, he’s flown Embraer 135/145s from New York’s JFK and LGA. In addition to flying for EGL, ********, carrying on a family tradition, works as a firefighter and paramedic for New York City. “It’s an easy second job to hold,” he explains, “because I can work a flexible schedule that fits in with my flying.” ******** is a member of Ladder Company Two, located in NYC. With that background, he was well prepared to provide CIRP support for the ALPA accident investigators who participated in the field investigation of the Colgan AirFlight 3407 crash near Buffalo, N.Y., in February 2009. ******** spent 10 days at the Colgan field investigation."
------------------------------------------------------------------
The other forum I belong to started discussing this story; we had some of his co-workers, USAF viper pilots, and thousands of other pilots as members. Once someone smelled a fish, many others including me took it upon themselves to make some calls and do some investigating. They looked into his Facebook page, FAA public records, Linked-In page, called base commanders, etc! All told, through the different internet sources we researched, this guy was claiming to be; a Air Force Academy grad, SWA pilot, F16 pilot call-sign "Milkman" (maybe F15's soon), air crash investigator, rescue diver, paramedic, Eagle pilot, seaplane pilot, flight instructor, Habitat for Humanity leader, NYFD Ladder 2 member, and a company new hire coordinator. All at 24 years old!!! In reality he only had ever held a FO pilot position at a regional airline, everything else was pure fantasy. Our forum members crushed this guy, as he made us all look bad and lied about his military and firefighting service, and we did what it took to expose him for his fraud and lies, it was epic! He was even posting using different screen names to defend himself throughout the thread, until someone busted him on that too! In the end, the magazine made a public apology (and pulled the article off its servers), a few news-agency's even ran the story, and his company pursued action against him. Last I heard he was forced to resign, and I've never heard anything about him since. See, sometimes the BS'ers do get caught...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/american_eagle_pilot_suspended_after_soKJR4zQDHGxR Yoin99RbI

image-2867036413.jpg  

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 02-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #109
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

thank you for that story MoreAtitude! very good story.

when people lie about their acheivements or their service, it does a huge disservice for those who really did do it. when their is a liar in amongst us, and he's found out, it casts suspension on everyone else. this is why is important to root them out and to show others we don't tolerate such actions to allow ourselves to be held up with distinction.

simply put, when you post something on the internet, whether it be your Facebook page, a forum or anything, if your story just sounds too good to be true, fully expect others to call you on it. fully expect that when of if you are found to be a liar, we will embarrass you and discredit you and make you want to find a dark cave to hide in for the rest of your life.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #110

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I'll contribute a story to the thread. I have a co worker I'll call her Nervous Nelly. Whenever my coworker or I leave for our lunch break, Kathy... OPPS! I mean Nervous Nelly has a WHOOPER of a story to tell us, it always "you just missed it". It usually involves a aggrivated individual, who is arguing with her, defying her authority and is about to throw down...Really? Now mind you, when she's on her lunch time it's uneventful and quiet.

The funny thing is it's anytime that were not around her that the stories start flying. I know my story is little bit on the boring side,but I thought i'd share with you all.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People Like This