Ever Known A Pathological Liar?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever Known A Pathological Liar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8836 Times on 5112 Posts
Likes Given: 11530

Default Ever Known A Pathological Liar?

I have run across a few in my day, but to launch this thread I will tell only one of the stories.

I'll call this guy Bob Howard (not his real name, but close enough). I met him when we were both attending the auto tech classes at the local community college. He first made himself known as a "Topper", where if one guy told a story then he had another one that would top it. It was not too long before the rest of us were talking about it and decided to have some fun with it. One guy would start a story and the rest of us would join in, making it more and more fantastic as we went, but we were all telling the story as though we all had been there for whatever it was we were fabricating. He would bite, every time.

Anyhoo, shortly after I graduated from this program I had the opportunity to work for a factory sponsored racing team where we raced Honda products in various classes, but primarily with IMSA (a now defunct sanctioning body). I worked there for a couple of years, met lots of legendary people and got to know some of them and their teams really well.

Well, after awhile I tired of the job and sowing my wild oats, and I wanted to settle down back home, so I quit and moved back to my old stomping grounds (actually moved in with my soon-to-be wife). I got a job at a Honda dealership in Santa Cruz and the first day on the job, lo and behold there is Bob working in the next stall.

Now, I never liked him much and he didn't seem to have changed at all, but I couldn't really avoid him very easily. Over the course of the first week or so I told him what I had been up to over the past couple of years and he came back with the expected BS stories about how a bunch of different racing teams really wanted him to work for them, blah, blah, blah, when one of the smaller team owners who was up in Half Moon Bay (nearby and up the coast) asked if I would work on his car and that he had made enough points to compete in the SCCA Nationals, and would I crew chief for him at the Nationals. Now this car was a Mazda RX3- a rotary engine car.

So I tell old Bob that I am working nights on a Mazda, and he launches into how he is a master rotary engine builder and that Jim Downing of Downing Atlanta Racing Team had actively tried to recruit him to be the main engine builder for the racing team.

Now, it just so happens that I knew Jim and all of his crew at the time. He had hosted us in his home for dinner a couple of times, and as circumstances would have it the SCCA Nationals were held at the Road Atlanta race course in Braselton Georgia not too far from Downing's shop.

So I tell Bob that I will mention him the next time I saw Jim at the track. Bob sort of got a little deflated and left me alone for the next few days. I had to get a week and a half off for the nationals (I had only been working there for a few weeks or maybe a couple of months at the time) but we went. I did see Jim Downing there (he was usually competing since it was so close for him and he always had enough points to make the field) and told him the story about Bob Howard. Needless to say Jim had never heard of him, and he enjoyed that I was going to call the guy on his BS story in a big way. He gave me one of his press photos with his autograph and a note that said something like "Bob Howard? Never heard of you. But here is my autograph just the same." (I forget exactly what he wrote)

I got home and gave Bob the autographed picture and told him that Jim laughed at his BS and had never heard of him. Bob was totally deflated,walked away mumbling something incomprehensible and never bothered me again and I quit there a few days later (got a job offer working at a racing supply store owned by the team owner I chiefed for).

So, anybody else have any stories?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

No, I never met any. (Am I lying?)

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

give me a minute, i'm making up,,,,err trying to remember one!

seriously, the pathological liar can never prove his outlandish stories when confronted, but will usually hem haw and hedge when confronted with the truth.

i have seen a few over the years. we have even had a few here on the forum as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #4

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That must be some thing that only car people do. Nope, never met one of those "Toppers".

Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
That must be some thing that only car people do. Nope, never met one of those "Toppers".
it runs rampant in the firearms community as well. there is always that one guy who shoots further, tighter groups, with a gun larger than yours and has been doing it longer!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #6

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Oh yes, don't even get me started on these damned liars, I have quite a few around here and the very fact that they breathe the same air as normal people irritates the hell out of me. The ones who irk me the worst are the lazy sonsofbitches who have to collect 100% social security disability because they are too lazy to work and often don't possess any marketable skills in the first place due to being too lazy to ever learn anything, yet they can be found out in the woods hunting and building tree stands, or on the lake drilling holes in the ice and fishing all day or even building their own log cabin out on their piece of land, yet they cannot work and be self sufficient because a physical injury or condition keeps them from doing so

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

Liked 390 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 6

a good friend of mine growin up was a pathological liar. & most of us knew very well about his BS but we let him go & have his fun when he decided to go off on a story.

but i tell ya, every now & then one of his 'too good to be true' stories ended up being 90% actually happened. a couple of those i was even there in person to see.

i only see him once a year or so now, but to this day i take everything he says with a grain of salt

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Last edited by donthav1; 01-31-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Had a guy join the team while I was a computer infrastructure installer (aka throw copper cat-5 cable up in the ceiling at businesses) that told my other team mates that he was a former paratrooper.
He regaled everyone with ...
- tales of how he'd been trained to parachute onto Russian tanks and disable them.
- that his assignment in Germany was so super squirrel secret that he didn't even know the name of the kaserne or town that he was at, he was never allowed to leave post.
- that he had missed movement to said town so the Air Force just put him in the cargo hold and then had him parachute out of the plane and onto the camp.
- that he was jumping the new T7 parachute and not the old T5's (A question I had specifically asked him.)
- the most arduous part of his training was the 6 moths he'd spent in Airborne School learning to pack his own parachute.

I invited him to lunch a few times while we were installing and looked up at him with rapt attention, fawning over every word.
until
that is
the last day I knew I was going to be working with him and then I let him know that I too had gone through Airborne School, had tried out (and failed) Special Forces Selection, and had served two tours in the 82nd Airborne Division and that ....
- The job of the Airborne is to secure airfields, bridges and choke-points for heavier infantry and that people who parachuted onto tanks were usually called 'crunchies' due to the sound their bones made when the tracks rolled over them. (As an aside, the Airborne doesn't carry anything that can regularly penetrate main battle tank armor.)
- That EVERYONE who deploys to Germany has to take a rudimentary German language course, part of which is 'going out on the town' to ask directions.
- That even though fifteen years had elapsed since my last parachute jump, I STILL knew the Five Points of Performance as they had been absolutely drilled into my head.
- I also knew the difference between a T-10 and an MC1-1B parachute and that the T7 parachute hadn't been used since WWII.
- And that the Airborne School did NOT teach basic parachutists how to pack one's own parachute; there's a special school for that. And that school is about 3-months long.
- And that there was absolutely no way on God's green earth that the Air Force had let him parachute from an in-flight C-141 because they have to be specially rigged for parachute operations (which affects how the chairs and cargo are arranged), with a specially trained Jump Master and Air Force Load Master.
The look on his face when I basically told him he was 10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound bag in front of everyone else at the table was priceless.

Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 01-31-2013 at 06:01 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
Had a guy join the team while I was a computer infrastructure installer (aka throw copper cat-5 cable up in the ceiling at businesses) that told my other team mates that he was a former paratrooper.
He regaled everyone with ...
- tales of how he'd been trained to parachute onto Russian tanks and disable them.
- that his assignment in Germany was so super squirrel secret that he didn't even know the name of the kaserne or town that he was at, he was never allowed to leave post.
- that he had missed movement to said town so the Air Force just put him in the cargo hold and then had him parachute out of the plane and onto the camp.
- that he was jumping the new T7 parachute and not the old T5's (A question I had specifically asked him.)
- the most arduous part of his training was the 6 moths he'd spent in Airborne School learning how to skydive and to pack his own parachute.

I invited him to lunch a few times while we were installing and looked up at him with rapt attention, fawning over every word.
until
that is
the last day I knew I was going to be working with him and then I let him know that I too had gone through Airborne School, had tried out (and failed) Special Forces Selection, and had served two tours in the 82nd Airborne Division and that ....
- The job of the Airborne is to secure airfields, bridges and choke-points for heavier infantry and that people who parachuted onto tanks were usually called 'crunchies' due to the sound their bones made when the tracks rolled over them. (As an aside, the Airborne doesn't carry anything that can regularly penetrate main battle tank armor.)
- That EVERYONE who deploys to Germany has to take a rudimentary German language course, part of which is 'going out on the town' to ask directions.
- That even though fifteen years had elapsed since my last parachute jump, I STILL knew the Five Points of Performance as they had been absolutely drilled into my head.
- I also knew the difference between a T-10 and an MC1-1B parachute and that the T7 parachute hadn't been used since WWII.
- And that the Airborne School did NOT teach basic parachutists how to free fall, nor did they teach how to pack one's own parachute; there's a special school for that.
- And that there was absolutely no way on God's green earth that the Air Force had let him parachute from an in-flight C-141 because they have to be specially rigged for parachute operations (which affects how the chairs and cargo are arranged), with a specially trained Jump Master and Air Force Load Master.
The look on his face when I basically told him he was 10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound bag in front of everyone else at the table was priceless.
thank you for that post! LMFAO funny!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Try being a historian. People get caught for lying or exaggerating historical fact all the time. I'll give you an example: Stephen Ambrose, probably one of the most prolific historians of the 20th Century, got busted numerous times for exaggerating, plagiarizing, and flat out lying on his historical evidence (especially in his books on Eisenhower and the 101st Airborne (yes that's right Band of Brothers is full of a lot of "tall tales")). There was also another gentleman who wrote an entire book about how America being a gun culture was a complete and total myth. Guess what happened? The guy got eviscerated by the fur trade, Western frontier, and military historian groups. It's one thing to tell a big whopper of a tale, it's another to be a complusive liar and be intellectually dishonest as well.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

People Like This