Ever had a gun stolen
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ever had a gun stolen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ever had a gun stolen

Hello my name is Eric Minton. My good friend had a firearm stolen November 2008. The theft occurred in the small town of Leitchfield, KY. A report was made to the local sheriff, fliers were posted and handed out in our town, as well as, the surrounding communities. An ad was placed in the local newspaper for a month offering a reward. Because my friend wanted more exposure he searched the web for a place to submit his stolen gun, after several hours of searching, he realized no such site existed.
It was that mindset that www.stolenweapon.com was created. A website designed exclusively with the victim of gun theft in mind. In order for us as individuals to preserve our rights we must take initiatives and become proactive in order to prevent governmental gun control. The major negative stigma associated with firearms are gun crimes, but as we all know guns don’t commit crimes, people do. If legislation was passed to control gun ownership it would only hinder and disarm law abiding citizens because criminals would not register guns.
Although gun recovery is difficult, it is not our websites only purpose. At the moment, a stolen weapon is instant cash for any thief, but with our websites capability it will now allow the general public to privately and easily identify a stolen weapon. This will ultimately drive down the value of these weapons; therefore, preventing and deterring a thief from stealing firearms. Unfortunately, there will always be thieves, but who would buy, trade, or sell a firearm they know has been stolen except thieves, and who likes or wants to deal with thieves. By allowing individuals to check our website for stolen weapons this will potentially help reduce crime rates, which threaten our individual freedoms to own guns.
It was explained to us that the majority of the local law enforcement agencies will not run gun checks for the general public. As we all know the NCIC exists, but it is only available for law enforcement use. Law enforcement plays a vital role in the recovery of stolen weapons and we totally support the service they provide. With over 500,000 weapons stolen annually in the U.S. alone we feel there is room for us to make a difference.
www.stolenweapon.com is completely free. It allows individuals, traders, gun shops, buyers, sellers etc….a viable, interactive opportunity to list and also search for stolen firearms. We understand that victims of gun theft (gun owners) want their personal information kept private and we respect the right to privacy; therefore, the personal and serial number information submitted by a victim is completely private and encrypted with a RIJNDAEL_256 bit encrypted string. This information is not stored in any type of readable form in our database and no one else is able to view the submitted information. If a searcher (anyone searching weapons) performs a general weapons description search without a serial number, only those weapons that match the description will show up with the state it was stolen from. The submitters (victim of gun theft) personal information and serial numbers are not viewable. If a searcher performs a serial number search and there is a positive match to the serial number in the database, then an alert is sent to the searcher that the weapon is stolen. Also, an alert is sent to the original submitter. The submitter is then free to contact his/her local law enforcement agency. Only serial number matches trigger alerts.
The www.stolenweapon.com site has been designed in a cut and dry fashion in order to keep it quick and easy. This format keeps the site accessible for everyone to use and does not distract the user from its original purpose. Please know we are dedicated to serving your needs and will be constantly evolving to meet them.

Thank You,
Stolen Weapon Team/Co-founder, Eric Minton Radcliff, KY
info@stolenweapon.com

Last edited by EricM; 01-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome idea. Here in Cali, the numbers on the gun get run with every transfer. This will be a powerful tool for use outside the states that do this though. I really hope it gains a foot hold.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Awesome idea. Here in Cali, the numbers on the gun get run with every transfer. This will be a powerful tool for use outside the states that do this though. I really hope it gains a foot hold.
Matt,
Does that include transfers between private citizens, or only with a dealer involved? I wonder if criminals report each time they transfer one? If California residents have to report private sales, I'm even more glad that I left there.

Eric's web site is a good idea, and as the old saying goes; "It couldn't hoit." The weak link in any reporting and recovery system, is for the lawful owner to know and report the gun's serial number. I can't tell you how many times over the years, while taking a report on a gun theft, the victim did not know the serial number. Sometime down the road, when officers find the gun, or it gets sold to a pawn shop, nobody knows it's hot. We would do an ATF trace, but that only tells us who the original buyer was. Further tracing depends on good old fashioned police work, but sadly most thefts go un-investigated because of budget and manpower restrictions. A more thorough investigation is usually only done when the gun is used in a murder.

Please folks, write down your serial numbers and keep them in a safe place. Prevent thefts by investing in a quality gun safe, securely mounted. Metal cabinets and wooden display cases only slow them down, but just a little. Most burglars know where most people leave valuables, including guns. Under beds, in closets, etc., and they aren't too shy about trashing your house to look for them.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Matt,
Does that include transfers between private citizens, or only with a dealer involved? I wonder if criminals report each time they transfer one? If California residents have to report private sales, I'm even more glad that I left there.
It is illegal to make transfers without using an FFL in Cali.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
It is illegal to make transfers without using an FFL in Cali.

Jeeeebus, I was blisfully unaware. My wife is from Cali, and I love it there. I would live in California...if it wasn't California.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Jeeeebus, I was blisfully unaware. My wife is from Cali, and I love it there. I would live in California...if it wasn't California.
It's 75 degrees outside right now. I have 5 large lakes that are within an hour drive of my house and countless other small to medium sized lakes within the same drive. I'm 2 hours from the Sierra Nevadas, Trinity Alps Wilderness Area and Siskiyou Wilderness Area. I'm 2 hours from the coast and 2 hours from desert. I'm currently an hour drive from 10+ feet of snow.

Redding is a geographically perfect area to live in. Unfortunately, it's plagued by Southern and Bay Area California's politics. On the up side of things, there is another good push by the Jefferson State movement underway right now.

Roger Waters

Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Matt,

Eric's web site is a good idea, and as the old saying goes; "It couldn't hoit." The weak link in any reporting and recovery system, is for the lawful owner to know and report the gun's serial number. I can't tell you how many times over the years, while taking a report on a gun theft, the victim did not know the serial number. Sometime down the road, when officers find the gun, or it gets sold to a pawn shop, nobody knows it's hot. We would do an ATF trace, but that only tells us who the original buyer was. Further tracing depends on good old fashioned police work, but sadly most thefts go un-investigated because of budget and manpower restrictions. A more thorough investigation is usually only done when the gun is used in a murder.

Please folks, write down your serial numbers and keep them in a safe place. Prevent thefts by investing in a quality gun safe, securely mounted. Metal cabinets and wooden display cases only slow them down, but just a little. Most burglars know where most people leave valuables, including guns. Under beds, in closets, etc., and they aren't too shy about trashing your house to look for them.

Thanks guys for the replies and please visit site. Great advice from pioneer461

Old 01-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Matt you live in Redding?

I grew up in Corning. Small world.